Author Topic: Donner to go along with the Blitzen  (Read 677 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Donner to go along with the Blitzen
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »
I have been pondering whether it would make sense to add a microphone channel to the unused ADC. Even if you have a fully populated E + H field setup, the H Field uses two of the three channels.

The converters are well suited to low frequency audio present in thunder (Donner  :grin:).

I thought that I would run this past this august group before posting on the Blitzortung forum.

The challenges would be in discriminating between wind, traffic, dog barks, etc. and thunder. Maybe this alone would be too much signal processing load. The RED does an impressive job, but maybe this might be the last straw. Dunno.  #-o

Also, finding a reasonably "weatherproof" microphone might be difficult. Also, it might require an array.

Opinions on this? Once the technical hurtles are met, then the overriding question would be "what do we do with it"? I see CoCoRaHS has a thunder report, maybe it could be used for thunder counts for that....

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Donner to go along with the Blitzen
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 12:14:51 PM »
It could be possible. Check this link: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engineering_Acoustics/Thunder_acoustics

I know that the US military uses microphones and detectors tuned to the sound signature of helicopter rotor blades to detect helicopters while still a very long distance away and inaudible to the human ear.

Don
WD9DMP