Author Topic: Weather Station for a Boat Dock  (Read 474 times)

Offline atlantic

• http://www.pelzerwilliamston.com
Weather Station for a Boat Dock
« on: July 06, 2024, 11:05:32 AM »
Looking for suggestions on installing a station on a floating boat dock. Weíre on a large lake so thereís a good bit of boat traffic on weekends and holidays which causes a lot of movement. Also during storms it can really move a lot. Simple answer would be to place it on the shore line, but since this is a Corps of Engineers Lake and if you know the rules, that isnít feasible due to the trees. Iím looking mainly to capture wind speed, temperature and maybe lightning detection. I have a couple of Vantage Pro2 on land but due to all the trees Iím not getting an accurate wind speed reading. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially from someone with the same experience.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Weather Station for a Boat Dock
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2024, 04:32:27 PM »
Are you talking about suggestions for how to mount an anemometer (or complete new station)? Or do you want to add an anemometer on the dock to the existing VP2 station? If so, what distances are involved?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline atlantic

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2024, 05:24:24 PM »
Nothing is there now so I would be adding a new station. Itís about 200 ft away from wifi or where the console would be.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2024, 06:38:05 PM »
Well, assuming you have a wireless VP2 (ie and not a cabled one) and there is a good line of sight to the console, then using the existing anemometer and attaching it to a 6332 sensor transmitter at the dock ought to work OK.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2024, 08:20:10 PM »
So just to confirm this is a fully floating dock with no piling or fixed supporting structures?

Offline atlantic

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2024, 08:40:03 PM »
Correct. Fully floating connected by cables to the shore and anchored. During storms and high winds it does do some moving. Thatís why Iím not sure about a rain gauge. I have 2 VP2 and Iím sure the tipping cup would cause false readings by it rocking.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2024, 08:44:48 PM »
Yes, would surely be an issue for a rain gauge.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2024, 05:23:38 AM »
But if you have legacy 6312 VP2 consoles (ie and not the more recent 6313 Weatherlink console)  then you cannot separate the rain gauge from the main ISS, only the anemometer. So in the case of 6312, you would have to mount the complete ISS on the dock, whereas your original post seemed most concerned about wind speed readings. ISS on land and anemometer + 6332 transmitter on the dock seems the most straightforward solution in this case.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2024, 08:00:56 AM »
Since you can't mount the ISS on shore just move it back to where you can. Then mount an anny on your dock. If need be get a repeater. As for the rain you may be SOL. You could always get a cocorahs gauge and mount it on the dock. No moving parts so that wouldn't be an issue. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 08:03:07 AM by ocala »