Author Topic: Was there a Monsoon Season compilation this year?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Was there a Monsoon Season compilation this year?
« on: September 13, 2022, 08:35:10 PM »
A few years ago I discovered  a series that some lucky photographer put together showing the efforts of 5 or 6 weeks of chasing the monsoon storms in AZ and NM and such.  I do not recall his name, but he had talent, nice Canon cameras and lenses, and some good tripods to catch timelapse and still photos of some great storms. 

In one of them he profusely thanked his wife for her patience and letting him chase (storms, not other females) and he would publish a 1/2 hour or so video of the efforts.

So far, I haven't seen one, either mentioned here or elsewhere on the internet discussions.  I cannot recall his name, or I'd look him up.

Has anyone a better memory than mine and know the person's name or web site?  In addition, has there been one this year or even last year?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Was there a Monsoon Season compilation this year?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 12:22:08 AM »
Off the top of my head, the only member I know of that fits, is Randall Kayfes. He resides here in Tucson, and has posted many various superb pics, mostly of weather. Perhaps PM him, however, I believe he has been under the wx of late, so he may not respond immediately. 

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 01:17:26 PM »
Found it!
I went to an 'old' computer and did a bit of fiddling with book marks and found the photographer's name.

Mike Olbinski, and on Utube if you look for Monsoon IV, which should be here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY3DdzV0rA , you'll get a compilation.

At about 2 minutes in, there are several examples of the single cell with rain columns coming down out of the cloud, which to me is a fascinating things because most of the time I have no long-range view of the horizon, and the cells are all strung together into a line or a storm system.

I haven't had a chance to look further, but this may help others recall and actually see some impressive time lapse and lightning photography of these types of storms.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 04:27:05 PM »
At about 2 minutes in, there are several examples of the single cell with rain columns coming down out of the cloud, which to me is a fascinating things because most of the time I have no long-range view of the horizon, and the cells are all strung together into a line or a storm system.
Fantastic find! I haven't seen that before, beautifully done! The "big sky" here is exactly why people all over the world come here to photograph storms. No trees, no fronts mingling all the cells together, just singular pulse storms. Lots of haboobs and even an occasional supercell and meso (we don't see those too often). You also get to vividly see dry and especially wet microburst as well. Thanks for posting!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 05:46:07 PM »
Outstanding!
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline AmandaGlover

• How to get rid of gyno 2023
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »
Found it!
I went to an 'old' computer and did a bit of fiddling with book marks and found the photographer's name.

Mike Olbinski, and on Utube if you look for Monsoon IV, which should be here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY3DdzV0rA , you'll get a compilation.

I haven't had a chance to look further, but this may help others recall and actually see some impressive time lapse and lightning photography of these types of storms.
Dale

Matt A
3 years ago (edited)
Absolutely magnificent! I have never seen better film footage than that. you can actually feel the wildness of the storm coming across on the video. That video is a perfect, I love the blue sky alot.

anything