Author Topic: Rain readings non existent?  (Read 419 times)

Offline Glaciermint

Rain readings non existent?
« on: February 13, 2020, 05:15:40 AM »
I am new to all of this and just bought a bresser 5 in 1 system. It's also linked to weather cloud and is listed as a ccl w100.
All seems to have worked fine in the set up, wifi connection and online with the app.
And all the readings I'm getting on the monitor seem fine with one exception. It's been raining here for about an hour now and the rain guage report (set to daily) is still showing zero???
When I set it up a few days ago with the obvious movement in screwing the thing to my pole etc I could hear the rain 'bucket' inside moving and that has registered for some 6mm of rain so I know that bits working, but since then I've had no further readings
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
Re: Rain readings non existent?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 01:41:04 AM »
I don't know the Bresser 5-in-1 system, but an obvious question is whether you have a bird guard around the rain gauge catchment. Until I did, I had pigeons roosting on the lip of my rain gauge and it only takes a couple of birds to block the funnel completely. Leaves, other organic material and dirt can also blow into the funnel blocking it.

I have also had the pigeon poop run down into the bucket and solidify so that the bucket is held in a tipped position. Water could run into the bucket and straight out as the bucket was always tipped over. If the pigeon dropping are hard, then it takes a bit to dissolve them.

No matter what, I don't thing that you can get around taking it down and looking. After checking it is clean and free-tipping, pour some water into the funnel and watching what happens.
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: Rain readings non existent?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 04:57:59 AM »
The Bresser 5-in-1 is similar to the fine offset stations and it has a similarly small rain bucket. So it would be easy to clog as mentioned above.

Another possibility is that it's not level enough and the tipping mechanism can't operate.

Either way, taking it down and examining it is going to be the best thing to do. If you can't find a clog and you can hear the tipping mechanism when handling the unit then I'd definitely check the leveling.