Author Topic: Webpage Very Sick! Another Glitch in the Matrix - Station Offline  (Read 7758 times)

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
Hi Guys,
My webpage has big problems! Station data not displaying although it says the data is received, no Wundermap and no graphs. The page is overloading the CPU and bringing the browser to a standstill.
Anyone else having this much fun?  :-(
INORTHYO14

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
Re: Webpage Very Sick! Another Glitch in the Matrix - Station Offline
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 01:47:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
My webpage has big problems! Station data not displaying although it says the data is received, no Wundermap and no graphs. The page is overloading the CPU and bringing the browser to a standstill.
Anyone else having this much fun?  :-(
INORTHYO14

Yes using Firefox . Keeps saying " web page slowing down browser What would you like to do  " . Been trying all morning different things . Works in Firefox safe mode but not regular Firefox .  Using Firefox 73.0 64 bit   

Offline racer3

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 01:48:22 PM »
Same problem. CPU could not handle it since I had 4 tabs trying to open 4 different stations. Having the problem in Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Funny thing is it works fine in Chrome. ](*,)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:56:28 PM by racer3 »

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 02:03:45 PM »
Not working well on Safari either. WU is using over 500% of the CPU. Google Chrome does not seem to be affected.
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline Big Sky Weather

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 05:04:03 PM »
It's no wonder with all of the ads the page is trying to serve. Thank God for ad-blocker extensions!

Offline casacota

• Observatori de Sant Martí de Canals
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 05:21:18 PM »
Firefox 72.0.2, Windows 10, ad blocs activated, and page not loading here also.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 05:27:00 PM »
I just double checked and it's working fine in Opera.  I'm running UBlock in Opera as well and no problem.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 05:41:38 PM by awsum140 »
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 05:31:13 PM »
Thanks, I have tried it in Safari on iPad and Firefox on Mac and it doesn’t work on either. Don’t know what to do next.......

Offline racer3

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:32:16 PM »
Firefox and IE have ad blocker. WU does not work on either, but works fine in Chrome.

Offline racer3

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 05:33:36 PM »
Not much you can do. Problem with WU like usual is my guess.

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 07:23:19 PM »
issues with WU on chrome and firefox.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 07:48:37 PM »
Just got this from WU

" Hi, Michael

We have engineers working on this right now.  Hopefully I will be able to let you know when the fix is out on the public web. 

Thank you for letting me know!

-Victoria " .

So hopefully they will get this fixed sometime soon .

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2020, 01:35:11 AM »
I just double checked and it's working fine in Opera.  I'm running UBlock in Opera as well and no problem.
I have used uBlock in Firefox to eliminate a whole lot of the extraneous crap they stuff into that page and it has been running fine for me all day.  When I turn it off everything screeches to a halt.  At this point I am convinced nobody, not even their "engineers", know what they are doing.

Offline Jester

• Pony Up!
  • Senior Contributor
  • US NAVY Retired
    • Castleton Weather, Virginia Beach, VA.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2020, 07:42:56 AM »
Still broke here in VA Beach. Big Blue screwing things up again! Old Klingon proverb, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! It was an awesome web site back in the early 2000's before they took over!
MADIS D4557
CWOP DW4557
Wunderground KVAVIRGI57
CoCoRaHS VA-VBC-13
Davis VP2+ 6163
WiFi LoggerV2

Offline n4khq

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 07:59:25 AM »
www.wunderground.com/wundermap is causing the problem. If you try to load the page using Safari, Firefox, it hangs the browser on the page. Crome is working. The weather station page locks when it tries to load the map.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »
Any browser with less than 30% market share usage does not deserve any website to consider ensuring compatibility in the development of the website. Therefore I don't see why WU needs to worry about Safari or Firefox (3% and 8% market share respectively). You can't guilt them is what I'm saying. If they have limited resources for development then so be it. That compatibility responsibility falls on the given browser itself. Therefore any newcomer browser better make sure that they bring to market something that is compatible with current browser technology. Of course any browser can try and make an argument that what they have to offer is better but until the public agrees and adopts then you can't crucify any company that chooses to focus on where the majority of users are.

https://netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx

I've changed browsers many times to align with what I felt was going to give me the best experience. I've migrated from Mosaic, Netscape, Internet Explorer, Firefox, and finally to Chrome. Anyone still on Firefox has missed the memo that it's long been time to switch. Chrome has 67% market share. If you are still on Firefox then you are going down with the ship. Just like all those diehard Blackberry users did to the fateful end. Those on Safari I just don't know what to say....why? Stop drinking the kool-aid.

The right thing for Firefox (Mozilla) and Safari (Apple) to do if they want to stay relevant is to do what Microsoft is doing with the Edge browser. Microsoft is switching the Edge browser engine to Chromium which is the open source base that Chrome is built on. The benefit for Edge users is that if a website works on Chrome then it will work with the new Edge. This will grow the Edge market share. And websites will not need to worry and do extra development work and testing to ensure Edge compatibility, because the browser is the one that has taken the lead to be compatible with current browser technology. Microsoft once for a short while provided Internet Explorer for Mac. Well Microsoft is once again making their newest browser (Edge) available for Mac.

If you are a nitch browser with limited market share like Opera then you change your engine to what is current browser technology. Opera has changed browser engine many times and that is why Opera can continue to be relevant even with limited market share. Yes Opera too is now using Chromium.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:01:07 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2020, 01:06:03 PM »
@ galfert Microsoft edge isn't working either but the old IE is . At least I cant get it to fully load my WU page using the Edge  . So maybe they should work on fixing what they screwed up and all browser should work again as they always have !!  They WU screwed this up not the browser makers .

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2020, 01:12:17 PM »
@ galfert Microsoft edge isn't working either but the old IE is . At least I cant get it to fully load my WU page using the Edge  . So maybe they should work on fixing what they screwed up and all browser should work again as they always have !!  They WU screwed this up not the browser makers .

The new Edge based on Chromium is not available yet unless you want to install that version. You have to opt for it. Microsoft isn't automatically pushing it out...yet.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:15:43 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Whitbyweather

• Whitby Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2020, 01:20:31 PM »
@Galfert. Thank you for your very interesting explanation of the market shares of the various browsers, but this is a fault in the Wundermap causing the pages to not load properly on almost all interfaces. The bigger question is how did a giant like IBM manage to destroy a great website, it’s like they don’t give a damn for the thousands of amateur meteorologists who provide them with a mountain of data absolutely free! 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2020, 01:42:47 PM »
WU/IBM managed to mess things up simply by changing and evolving the website to utilize new programming code that apparently only works with Chrome. It wasn't deliberate. Developers code with the tools and programing skills that they have picked up. It takes deliberate extra testing to see if new code breaks compatibility with less popular browsers. Sometimes making things work the same in different browsers can be challenging or sometimes it is impossible and compromises have to be made where it works but is less than optimum.

I don't doubt that WU/IBM will fix this issue eventually, if you have the patience. But my premise is to say to the users, "why don't you empower yourself and use what will ensure a better experience?"

It is an oversite. But why expose yourself to this risk when the solution is simple? Change your browser. I'm sure that there are many other websites that today don't work right unless you are using Chrome (or other Chromium based browser). It is possible that some websites are performing poorly for you and you don't even realize it. I'm just saying that you don't have much to stand on if you use a browser that has less than 10% market share.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 01:44:20 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 02:44:30 PM »
It is an oversite. But why expose yourself to this risk when the solution is simple? Change your browser. I'm sure that there are many other websites that today don't work right unless you are using Chrome (or other Chromium based browser).
Sad to see you've turned into an IBM cheerleader.

Chrome is a data miner and a resource hog. It has turned into exactly what google promised it would not be.  If IBM is trying to force all WU visitors to it they've gone down the wrong rabbit hole.

This is not the first time WU has released code into production which simply does not work right.  It has nothing to do with browser market share nor does it have anything to do with any other sites (which, by the way, are working just fine with Firefox and every other browser).  The primary issue with WU now is that all of the javascript load-on-demand crap is so poorly implemented that it interferes with itself.  You can see that with the multiple "page loads" going on to just display something simple like the current temp on a PWS.  This ALSO happens with Chrome on Android.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2020, 03:06:50 PM »
It is an oversite. But why expose yourself to this risk when the solution is simple? Change your browser. I'm sure that there are many other websites that today don't work right unless you are using Chrome (or other Chromium based browser).
Sad to see you've turned into an IBM cheerleader.

I'm not an IBM fan when it comes to how they have handled WU. I'm a realist. I use Chrome not because IBM dictated it. I use Chrome since it started becoming the most prevalent and reliable solution offering the features I want with speed and compatibility.

Chrome is a data miner and a resource hog. It has turned into exactly what google promised it would not be.  If IBM is trying to force all WU visitors to it they've gone down the wrong rabbit hole.

I don't subscribe to that data miner conspiracy theory. Resource hog you say?...depends on your system and available resources and what junk you've allowed as extensions and how many irrelevant multitude of tabs you feel the need to keep open at all times. If you really want a leaner experience then run Chromium that doesn't have the extra Google stuff added.

This is not the first time WU has released code into production which simply does not work right.

I agree there.

It has nothing to do with browser market share nor does it have anything to do with any other sites (which, by the way, are working just fine with Firefox and every other browser).

I disagree there.

The primary issue with WU now is that all of the javascript load-on-demand crap is so poorly implemented that it interferes with itself.  You can see that with the multiple "page loads" going on to just display something simple like the current temp on a PWS.  This ALSO happens with Chrome on Android.
Yes I agree that even on Chrome the WU experience is subpar. WU/IBM is not hiring the best developers and they aren't doing due diligence in development and testing even on Chrome.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:13:42 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2020, 03:48:28 PM »
UPDATE

From WU : Hi again!

The Weather Underground site should be working again now. Please be sure to press reload/refresh on your browser to ensure that you get the current version of the page(s). If you continue to have any trouble, please let me know.

Thank you for your patience, and thank you for using Weather Underground!

--Victoria

Make sure you clear your history and cache !!!! It's working on Firefox as of now after I cleared everything  !!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:52:57 PM by Mabcmb »

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2020, 03:50:04 PM »
Bottom line is that no matter how hard you try to make the snake tap dance, it'll never happen.  IBM has destroyed what was a good, reliable, source of weather data.  They keep making the same rookie mistake, fielding new code without proper testing.  This isn't the first time they've done this, more like the unteenth.  Let's be honest, it's being run by amateurs, if we're lucky, or more likely people reading Java for Dummies the first time.  Throw in management that can't plan, or if they can their plans are based on such optimistic viewpoints as to be un-meetable.

End of rant.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline racer3

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2020, 04:13:00 PM »
UPDATE

From WU : Hi again!

The Weather Underground site should be working again now. Please be sure to press reload/refresh on your browser to ensure that you get the current version of the page(s). If you continue to have any trouble, please let me know.

Thank you for your patience, and thank you for using Weather Underground!

--Victoria

Make sure you clear your history and cache !!!! It's working on Firefox as of now after I cleared everything  !!

Yep. Working in both Firefox and Microsoft Edge.

anything