Author Topic: WS80 freezing wind values only  (Read 1235 times)

Online broadstairs

• Forecaster
WS80 freezing wind values only
« on: February 19, 2022, 04:55:00 AM »
Yesterday at around midday right when storm Eunice was getting going here my WS80 decided to freeze the wind values at 353° 5.76kmh and 15.48kmh gust and has remained so ever since. All other transmitted values are fine and the battery and signal strength are at maximum and have been all along. This is my new WS80 which replaced the old one under warranty which was eating batteries. This new one has only been installed for about 2 weeks. Obviously yesterday I did not go out to lower it and reset it to see if that would get it going again.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is it a known issue with any of the variations of WH/WS80?

I've emailed Ecowitt support for their comments.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
Re: WS80 freezing wind values only
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 05:48:14 AM »
Sorry not observed anything like that before, assuming its not battery.
I also don't recall anyone else posting something like that.

The closest behaviour I have observed was when my battery got low and the first thing to stop was the wind measurement whilst other values continued to be transmitted.

<Edit> just taken a look at my WS80 readings and huge humble pie!
Yes, I had a similar issue from 3.50am to 7.50am today where the WS80 froze its wind readings at 8mph, then they seemed to correct themselves after that. defo the WS80 as this was recorded by a GW1000 and the HP2551. The WS90 and WS68 both carried on recording wind values without issue. Very strange!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 05:59:11 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline DelChard

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 06:03:17 AM »
Found your Ecowitt data,and noticed That it had started raining just prior.

Please don't be offended by this question, it's based on my own stupidity with my first WS80.
Did you do a reset after inserting the batteries. I had a similar effect.

Judging by the email I originally had from support@ecowitt There may still be a problem.

"I am sorry for this problem.
Could you do us a favor: unscrew the two screws of the radiation shield, you can take a picture for the temperature and humidity sensor  board inside? 
As I can see the data started to behave abnormal after sometimes of rain, and I believe it is related with the moisture intrusion.
We have a new design switched in September, and I am not sure what is the sensor type inside your device.
We will send you a replacement sensor. Please provide your original order information."

The picture I sent confirmed that mine wasn't a replaceable sensor, so they sent a complete unit.

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 06:03:58 AM »
Hi!

I could imagine that not all errors in the firmware of the WS80 have been corrected (despite two updates) and that the device continues to get stucked under unfavourable conditions. The only remedy is a restart/reset.
I don't quite understand Ecowitt - if an anemometer outputs exactly (!) the same values over a certain period of time, it should restart automatically.
But maybe they had thought about that and the automatic only doesn't work because the unit has just get stucked.
So: probably only Fine Offset is able to fix this in general.

Oliver

Online broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 06:16:28 AM »
Well a reset has fixed it and it's recording again. I'll wait to hear from Ecowitt - Monday I guess at the earliest now.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
    • TurismoMeteo OdV Webcam Streaming and Weather Stations live
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 07:05:24 AM »
Yesterday at around midday right when storm Eunice was getting going here my WS80 decided to freeze the wind values at 353° 5.76kmh and 15.48kmh gust and has remained so ever since. All other transmitted values are fine and the battery and signal strength are at maximum and have been all along. This is my new WS80 which replaced the old one under warranty which was eating batteries. This new one has only been installed for about 2 weeks. Obviously yesterday I did not go out to lower it and reset it to see if that would get it going again.

Has anyone else seen anything like this? Is it a known issue with any of the variations of WH/WS80?

I've emailed Ecowitt support for their comments.

Stuart
same problem for me during a wind storm (without rain). The ws80 gets stuck for hours without any reason. Yes' i've upgraed the fw.
ecowitt advised me to lubricate the transducers.  :lol:
I had a big laugh
www.turismometeo.it
Webcam and Weather Stations live network from Italy

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 07:06:17 AM »
Hi!

I could imagine that not all errors in the firmware of the WS80 have been corrected (despite two updates) and that the device continues to get stucked under unfavourable conditions. The only remedy is a restart/reset.
I don't quite understand Ecowitt - if an anemometer outputs exactly (!) the same values over a certain period of time, it should restart automatically.
But maybe they had thought about that and the automatic only doesn't work because the unit has just get stucked.
So: probably only Fine Offset is able to fix this in general.

Oliver

Yes, I agree, even if not "super elegant" it is a working and easy fix in software ( and these reboots would mostly pass unnoticed ).
When a sensor freezes ( surprisingly, sometimes half of a sensor, only T or H ) the others continue to work normally. This means to me that 99% of the unit works.
The only thing I could imagine ( for this not to work ) is that the hardware reset button performs a full hardware reset that the microprocessor software reset can't do ( in this case an  hardware mod is needed, easy fix too )

P.S.
Even substituting a non working hardware with a new non working one is a non 'super elegant' solution.

On an italian forum an user reported his ws80 freezes solar/uv readings
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 07:09:41 AM by davidefa »

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 07:19:13 AM »
Hi!

I could imagine that not all errors in the firmware of the WS80 have been corrected (despite two updates) and that the device continues to get stucked under unfavourable conditions.
in my opinion ecowitt need to should try a ws80 in really unfavorable conditions, for example in the mountains with strong winds. Not in a private garden.
Only if it used to their full potential can new problems be found and (subsequently) corrected.
This is true for every eletronics equipmant.
I have several stations in the mountains, I could do these tests but ecowitt doesn't seem to be very interested  :roll:
www.turismometeo.it

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 07:26:05 AM »
a little parenthesis,
a product that works well in all possible climatic conditions allows a big economic saving for ecowitt because they'll fewer requests for assistance and fewer replacements of entire ws80  [tup]
www.turismometeo.it

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 07:45:21 AM »
Im still toying with the idea of getting the U/S multi sensor...

Are you saying that reset is on the actual device and not a software reset?
If thats the case then thats poor to say the least, no way i could keep pulling the mast down just to a reset
How can a company that makes an anemometer that needs a hard reset from the device itself think that that is a good idea?
Most anny's need to be position high up on a mast of some sort, i mean, they need to be at 10m for the official reading, we cant keep having to pulll the thing down, for something like 1 senor needs a reset, surely that can be programed into the software, the software is still getting a signal so it should be possible, no? or have i got this wrong and its not a hard reset on the device itself?
Kind regards
Bashy

Online broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 07:58:35 AM »
Im still toying with the idea of getting the U/S multi sensor...

If thats the case then thats poor to say the least, no way i could keep pulling the mast down just to a reset
How can a company that makes an anemometer that needs a hard reset from the device itself think that that is a good idea?
Most anny's need to be position high up on a mast of some sort, i mean, they need to be at 10m for the official reading, we cant keep having to pulll the thing down, for something like 1 senor needs a reset, surely that can be programed into the software, the software is still getting a signal so it should be possible, no? or have i got this wrong and its not a hard reset on the device itself?

Yes you need to take it down and use a bent paper clip to push the recessed button.

While I agree it is not ideal the issue with making it something which can be done remotely is a big problem as it is a transmitter only device, there is no way to get it to receive anything. The only way to do this easily would be an extension lead but that means new h/w for those of us who already have one. I guess some kind of f/w fix is the most likely to detect a frozen value and do the reset in f/w.

Stuart

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 07:59:40 AM »
I don't disagree with anyone's comments here.
I should point out that my WS80 is the early pre-production model so its a beta device. It has however been rock solid apart from when the battery run down. I suspect it could be moisture intrusion under the very high winds and storm we had yesterday followed by clear skies and a cold night.
There is definitely condensation inside the solar panel now. Probably coming towards the end of its life.

As for software/hardware resets, there must be a recovery process in the firmware as I did not reset the device it fixed itself. The timing is also suspicious, a perfect 4 hour gap. Could be co-incidence but I am suspecting a fixed recovery count and restart.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »

you're right, everytime an hard reset is quite impossible, but for the ecowitt assistance this is a normal procedure.
www.turismometeo.it

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2022, 08:04:16 AM »
I don't disagree with anyone's comments here.
I should point out that my WS80 is the early pre-production model so its a beta device. It has however been rock solid apart from when the battery run down.

and what does this mean?  :?:
www.turismometeo.it

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2022, 08:05:40 AM »
Thanks guys, yeah, thats a good point re tx only, i wonder if the reset button could be modified and extended along with the power source, perhaps even a PSU, i take it the heater is just that, it adds nothing to the power, i think i asked somat similar beofre, i forget now. I remember you saying you can extened the battery pack, sif that can be done then most definitely a low voltage psu is possible too,things to think about i think, i think the vital part will be to kep it water proof. It also looks like thers only eBay and Weather Spares that sell it separately £160+ or £140+, i prefer to use amazon but they dont sell it on its own :/
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline DelChard

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2022, 08:07:10 AM »
My original WS80 didn't always reset itself.

I was however relieved following Eunice.
It hit my location much harder than forecast, I received 1 gust of 70mph, and a small amount of structural damage to an outbuilding.
My replacement continued to function despite the wind and rain.

I'm still not going to count me chickens just yet.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2022, 08:08:05 AM »
but for the ecowitt assistance this is a normal procedure.

They obviously have no idea, perhaps they are just support following a script and have no clue about the technical side of things?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2022, 08:08:22 AM »

It hit my location much harder than forecast, I received 1 gust of 70mph, and a small amount of structural damage to an outbuilding.

Now that was a good result :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline DelChard

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2022, 08:10:46 AM »
What! the damage I've got to repair when it calms down :lol:

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2022, 08:11:41 AM »
Hi!

One would need a wired battery extension for the WS80 that is similar to the one for the WH65.
In addition, however, there should also be a button (inside) that could be used to trigger a reset "from below". It is just one wire.
That would solve two frequently described problems:
1. changing the battery would be much easier
2. a reset would also be possible from the ground.

Of course, it would be even nicer if the power supply for the heating was also used for the sensor at the same time (as it is probably finally solved with the WS90) and a reset would not be necessary in principle.

Regards,

Oliver

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2022, 08:13:27 AM »
but for the ecowitt assistance this is a normal procedure.

They obviously have no idea, perhaps they are just support following a script and have no clue about the technical side of things?

mmmh No no, I don't believe this.
Each problem is difficult to identify correctly because they occur in a completely random manner in all ws80
For this reason I said that a test under severe conditions would be necessary to find these bugs
www.turismometeo.it

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2022, 08:15:10 AM »
These are all good suggestions and I urge you to post them in the Ecowitt forum on their web site as product development ideas.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2022, 08:16:08 AM »

70mph recorded with ws80 ? not bad...
www.turismometeo.it

Online broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2022, 08:41:42 AM »
I've had a reply from Ecowitt which says they have passed it to engineering to investigate.

Stuart

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2022, 09:32:15 AM »
Each problem is difficult to identify correctly because they occur in a completely random manner in all ws80
For this reason I said that a test under severe conditions would be necessary to find these bugs

As you say these problems ( that happen randomly, once every few months ) are "super difficult" to pinpoint and diagnose: you should have a debugging environment connected to the sensor logging everything you could think relevant ( without knowing what is relevant ), and when you logged the 'fact' you have to analyze the logging try to make an 'educated guess' of what's going wrong, make a fix and repeat the process a few times ( quite long process indeed ).

P.S.
These problems should be ( somehow ) hardware related, as some sensor newer exhibit this behaviour ( or maybe passed unnoticed as it recovered fast ).