Author Topic: Webpage Very Sick! Another Glitch in the Matrix - Station Offline  (Read 7792 times)

Offline Eguraldia

Re: Webpage Very Sick! Another Glitch in the Matrix - Station Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »
Back to work here too...well see for how long before...

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless)

Meteobridge

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2020, 11:15:56 AM »
I just recently moved, so I've got my VP2 mounted again in my yard, and I changed my station name on wunderground (station ID kmauxbri10).  Everything was great until around 3:45am today, when the station began reporting as offline.  Nothing changed to the configuration except the name, but I doubt that would have anything to do w. it, especially considering that the name change occurred yesterday around 6pm

Not much info to go on, I know, but anyone know what might have happened?  Is something up w. WU right now?

I can get a screenshot of my config page later today if it would help

As of 8:15am PST your station is up and running on WU : https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KMAUXBRI10

You may want to check your software and hardware  because it's not showing wind nor direction of wind . Don't know what it showed before .
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:22:21 AM by Mabcmb »

Offline n4khq

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2020, 12:42:36 PM »
No problems, on my WU page.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
Gotta wonder why WU/IBM don't fire "Brutus"?
He's the only one left working there.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »
Gotta wonder why WU/IBM don't fire "Brutus"?
He's the only one left working there.

You know thinking about it, you're probably right.  The big problem is that he's writing the code now, too.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2020, 03:24:27 PM »
As it dies a slow death, gasping and wheezing.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »
More like whining, sniffling and crying than gasping and wheezing.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
Actually all the WU Staff are hard at work correcting all problems:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2020, 06:30:54 PM »
Unfortunately I feel WU is like the cockroaches that were subjected to thousands of times the lethal radiation a human could tolerate on MythBusters and were happily oblivious.

Offline soxfan2k4

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2020, 07:13:39 PM »
Yeah, the anemometer isnt up yet.  The rain gauge and thermometer are, but not the anemometer.  That's fine though.  All in due time!

Offline mdv

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2020, 02:29:22 AM »
All good... for now. With WU there is always the next time.

Was I right, or was I right? I can't even take credit for being right. The odds were just stacked.

Oh IBM, please just sell WU to Google or Amazon or something.

Too right!

This latest episode is akin to a 4-year-old left alone in a control room wondering what the big green/red button does ... ooops, there goes the electricity supply for the entire city.

Oddly enough, while PWS dashboards suffered a crash globally, all PWS data seemed to be still uploading fine (as per other post). In fact, you could at that time view a sanitised version of PWS current weather conditions via the Forecast page, using the "Change Station" link to bring up the map of nearby stations (each showing current temp) and the tabulated summary data for nearby stations including one's own PWS. The radar map on the forecast page also seemed to be working ok while the dashboard and its radar map were completely down.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2020, 08:28:06 AM »
The data is loading, true, but am I the only one not seeing any stations appear on the map on the dashboard?

Offline vinesweather

• Forecaster
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2020, 09:12:53 AM »
Hi All
I've always wondered why and what is the fascination with WU? Excuse my ignorance but I don't understand. I have a PWS with a website. I use WD and send data to WU, I use a link to the wundermap but that's about all. Why is it such an issue? Like I said, I don't understand.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2020, 09:30:36 AM »
My station went missing from WU for a few hours and all historical data prior to 2:19 PM 2/17/2020 has disappeared from my station page.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 09:37:02 AM by Weatheroger »

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2020, 09:42:38 AM »
Reminds me of the show WKRP in Cincinnati. Oh the humanity........

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2020, 09:50:43 AM »
Hi All
I've always wondered why and what is the fascination with WU? Excuse my ignorance but I don't understand. I have a PWS with a website. I use WD and send data to WU, I use a link to the wundermap but that's about all. Why is it such an issue? Like I said, I don't understand.

There are some things that are unique to WU that no other service has:

- Rapidfire live uploading and viewing of station weather data.
- Unlimited historical data for station going back years (for free). Technically I believe AWEKAS and WOW are the only other ones with unlimited free historical data (hardly a normal thing).
- Among a multitude of weather station brands and models at all price ranges, WU is the one common service that they all support without needing to add or set up additional hardware or software. Weather Station manufactures have created this situation by many times making WU the exclusive upload service or often the exclusive plus their own cloud service and nothing more.
- Some 3rd party smart services only work with WU. For example Hydrawise irrigation system.

So sure there are other alternatives to WU...but those things are unique to WU compared to any other service, which make it an added effort for many to use anything else, and then you'd be giving up those unique features with other online services. If you get what you need to upload live data and unlimited historical data then the only option is your own personal hosted site. That adds ongoing cost and maintenance and technical knowledge. Then you are off on your own silo and with limited exposure to your station because you aren't where everyone else is.

If WU just worked and was reliable like it was years ago, then you'd have it all. People are just missing those good ol' days.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 10:42:25 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline vinesweather

• Forecaster
    • The Vines Weather
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2020, 10:57:15 AM »
Cheers mate. Now I understand. Many thanks

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2020, 11:08:14 AM »
Hi All

Has Rapidfire been working at all the last month?  I'm getting intervals close to a minute much of the time, and it should be every few seconds...
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2020, 11:33:40 AM »
Hi All

Has Rapidfire been working at all the last month?  I'm getting intervals close to a minute much of the time, and it should be every few seconds...

I'd say yes, rapidfire has been working. It only refreshes the updated counter every 5 seconds it seems which is independent to your upload rate. If you upload every 5 secs or less then I've seen where the WU updated indicator counter can be a bit problematic. Not that it isn't updating your data but that it may have a hard time catching up to your data upload rate and confirming your last update. Try changing your upload rate to 5 or 10 seconds or maybe every 6 seconds and see what results you get. I bet you'll notice that issue you may be having only occurs when your upload is 5 secs or less.
Tele-Pole

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2020, 11:51:30 AM »
Hi All

I'd say yes, rapidfire has been working. It only refreshes the updated counter every 5 seconds it seems which is independent to your upload rate. If you upload every 5 secs or less then I've seen where the WU updated indicator counter can be a bit problematic. Not that it isn't updating your data but that it may have a hard time catching up to your data upload rate and confirming your last update. Try changing your upload rate to 5 or 10 seconds or maybe every 6 seconds and see what results you get. I bet you'll notice that issue you may be having only occurs when your upload is 5 secs or less.

Unfortunately, the Cumulus legacy app either loads WU in either 1 min or more intervals, OR, via RapidFire support. There is no documentation stating how fast that RF upload is occurring so I can't modify it.

Thing is, until things went really wonky on WU last month, it all worked just fine. Now everything is just intermittent. It's up, it's down, something works, everything works...that's why I bought a Davis WLL hub so I could read live temp, wind and rain data, but that app is full of bugs.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2020, 12:24:47 PM »
Hi All

Unfortunately, the Cumulus legacy app either loads WU in either 1 min or more intervals, OR, via RapidFire support. There is no documentation stating how fast that RF upload is occurring so I can't modify it.

Thing is, until things went really wonky on WU last month, it all worked just fine. Now everything is just intermittent. It's up, it's down, something works, everything works...that's why I bought a Davis WLL hub so I could read live temp, wind and rain data, but that app is full of bugs.

Hmm...yeah Cumulus 1 has that limitation. I'm sure the WU changes don't help. But the WLL will only give you live data when your mobile device is on the local network. If you want another means of live data (to view remotely on the Internet) then you'll have to resort to putting up your own website with one of the various weather templates. WLL will then have to feed some 3rd party software so that you can then upload via the weather template. There are many options for the software and for the templates.
Tele-Pole

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2020, 01:37:11 PM »
Just lost the ability to log in although the data is there....

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
Well they screwed something up again  ](*,) . Seems now over half the station in my area no longer show up on the wundermap since yesterday . My station is also MIA but since I saved my location to a bookmark I can see it's working A-OK and updating as before it's just not showing on the map .

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2020, 02:06:50 PM »
Hopefully they are trying to fix the wind vane spider issue.
Tele-Pole

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2020, 07:32:42 PM »
Gray spot and no station. It shows reporting. Rebooted bridge and it was back in 15 minutes. Half of the other stations around me went MIA. Some are back others not so lucky.
Aarg.....

anything