Author Topic: E field Kit just arrived...  (Read 10416 times)

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
Re: E field Kit just arrived...
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »
I do, in fact, still have my lab coat from my research days.  I should do this.

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2014, 09:56:03 AM »
Those copper spheres are just the ticket.

I can see you hovering around during a lightning storm yelling, "It's alive! It's alive!" as St. Elmo's fire glows about your house and van de Graff like sparks jump off them.

Do you have a long white lab coat and dark goggles to wear?
Actually I'm wondering if he might be able to generate the 1.2 Gigawatts needed to power the flux capacitor...

Or maybe he'll just throw in an Oscillation Overthruster and blast thru to the 8th Dimension :D
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2014, 10:01:00 AM »
As a follow-up, I assume from Mike's work that the preamp will fit in standard 1" PVC pipe?
Yes. Mount the 2 big 'lytics with just enough lead above the board so you could tilt them slightly, in case the board twists slightly. You need the board with components dead centered in a 1"i.d. pipe cap, in order for a 1"i.d. pipe to screw into the cap.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:04:23 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2014, 01:06:56 PM »
I'm going to try one of these (3-1/2" hollow copper ball)

Sorry to interrupt, but this post reminded me of this classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjquGpmgwOo

I just couldn't help myself.  I had to post it.   #-o

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.........
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 01:23:14 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Weather Spares

• Forecaster
    • Weather Spares
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2014, 06:45:34 PM »
I've been running an originally system green kit for 14 months, but had had the urge to build something again. So have ordered a complete new red kit with the additional E-Field kit too.

Egon should post it out to the UK Monday, so there will be much waiting for the delivery from then on.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations, accessories and spare parts for Davis Instruments, Ecowitt, Oregon Scientific, TFA, Ventus, GARNI and many more - https://www.weatherspares.co.uk/ offering global shipping of products.

Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus 24 hour FARS, Meteobridge NANO SD data logger, Davis AirLink, remote Davis anemometer rooftop mounted.
Location 95m altitude, West of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2014, 08:16:04 PM »
I've been running an originally system green kit for 14 months, but had had the urge to build something again. So have ordered a complete new red kit with the additional E-Field kit too.

Egon should post it out to the UK Monday, so there will be much waiting for the delivery from then on.
Oh, you'll love it...

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »
Cutty,
We had our share of storms today. Did anything stand out or get your attention with the E field that you might not have experienced with out it?  :-k

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2014, 11:59:34 PM »
I'm going to try one of these (3-1/2" hollow copper ball):

Richio indicated it should work; as I calculate it, the capacitance should be on the order of what one would get from a 15-18" AWG 12 length of wire.

Copper spheres are regularly used for E-field sensing, including at ELF frequencies.

I'll report the results, once I get my station built and running.

Are you sure these aren't the missing copper clappers that were kept in the closet?    :lol:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »
Cutty,
We had our share of storms today. Did anything stand out or get your attention with the E field that you might not have experienced with out it?  :-k
Hey, Dr.... yeah, the last week I've some initial experiences I'm trying post, that may help with the "get acquainted" stage... http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=22710.0
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:14:13 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2014, 10:32:14 AM »
I've been doing some additional work on this, plus corresponding with Richio.  The 3-1/2" spheres are probably too big; 2 to 2-1/2" would be better for the capacitance to free space needed (~3 pF).  But I'll see how it does.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »
I'll tell you this... a 15" inch 12ga wire is more  than enough! I suspect it'll detect Jupiter if you crank it up enough.

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2014, 09:38:27 AM »
I just ordered my kit from Egon. In the mail.....

I'm putting up the mast and running the cable today.

Don
WD9DMP

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2014, 09:41:52 AM »
I noticed that a few have put a "capacity hat" on the top of their wire probes. Is this really needed?

Richo just put a small spiral on the end of his. I planned on a simple 12-inch length of copper wire inside the PVC housing The spiral might stabilize the probe in the housing if its diameter matched the ID of the PVC.

Don
WD9DMP

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »
Richio said it was to protect his eyes when working on the antenna.  A short length of wire has more than enough capacitance for this system.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
I noticed that a few have put a "capacity hat" on the top of their wire probes. Is this really needed?

Richo just put a small spiral on the end of his. I planned on a simple 12-inch length of copper wire inside the PVC housing The spiral might stabilize the probe in the housing if its diameter matched the ID of the PVC.

Don
WD9DMP
Richio said it was to protect his eyes when working on the antenna.  A short length of wire has more than enough capacitance for this system.
Yes, it does help stabilize. The other end is in a connector, remember, you don't want much flopping... I used a couple wedges of some Styrofoam also.
The REAL reason for the spiral is to identify the probe polarity. If you install it the wrong way the signals will flip 180° randomly.

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2014, 11:13:28 AM »

Don
WD9DMP
Yes, it does help stabilize. The other end is in a connector, remember, you don't want much flopping... I used a couple wedges of some Styrofoam also.
The REAL reason for the spiral is to identify the probe polarity. If you install it the wrong way the signals will flip 180° randomly.

I must have missed that comment from Richio.  Are you saying that, without the spiral at the top, you won't be able to identify polarity?  That seems counter-intuitive to me.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 11:17:07 AM by n0ym »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »
If you put the spiral on the wrong end the random signals will be received as they cut the probe. If you put the spiral on the other end of the probe, the random signals cut the probe and will be received. Always attach the unspiraled end to the preamp. Then the received random signals will display shortly after they cut the probe and are received. Also, it's hard to fit a corkscrew in the terminal block.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 02:09:25 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
If you put the spiral on the wrong end the random signals will be received as they cut the probe. If you put the spiral on the other end of the probe, the random signals cut the probe and will be received. Always attach the unspiraled end to the preamp. Then the received random signals will display shortly after they cut the probe and are received. Also, it's hard to fit a corkscrew in the terminal block.

If I remember my electronic radiation capture theory correctly, the main purpose of the spiral on the top of the wire is to more completely attract the incoming spiraling radio emissions wave onto the end of the spiraled wire tip and thus, allow it to unspiral onto the straight section of the antenna which then directs the signals unimpeded towards the terminal block below. And, of course, as the signal is falling down the vertical wire, it is gathering speed due to gravity and thus, provides a much larger signal to be captured by the lightning detection circuitry...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
Don, as 'screwy' as that sounds, I think it is right!

I was beginning to wonder.

Are we going to have to 'asterisk' our board, just like major league baseball?  * means take with some caution?

Has anyone else noticed that when the gain is turned up that your antenna sort of leans into the oncoming wave a bit?

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »
 :twisted:  :twisted:
Sorry folks... I saw some weird opening, and that just fell out of my fingers on the forum...

BTW... Grid Leak Bias on sale at Amazon: 12 hour Gold Box deal.

Rule 62: Don't take yourself too damn seriously.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:10:05 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
Huh....didn't know lightning was circularly polarized.  :grin:

I think an advantage of the E-field amp is that the servers can tell polarity and right or left hand polarization, but only if the spiral is properly wound!  :grin: :grin: :grin:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:31:09 PM by dfroula »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2014, 06:13:39 PM »
oh Lord... I've created a monster thread hijack #-o

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2014, 07:17:06 PM »
Grin,
Ain't it fun once in awhile.

No damage done.  A lot of fun had, and I'm sure there will be a few more clever additions to the thread before it dies down like an evening thunderstorm that is all rained out and the sparks finally stop.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2014, 12:22:13 AM »
And interestingly, I don't see any posts complaining about our little diversion either. So, as is often said, no harm done, no foul...

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2014, 07:11:47 AM »
Huh....didn't know lightning was circularly polarized.  :grin:
Ball Lightning, did you forget??? That's why Jonathan is using spheres.

anything