Author Topic: different zoom levels with GRLevel3  (Read 15397 times)

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
different zoom levels with GRLevel3
« on: January 15, 2007, 02:00:59 AM »
I tried GRLevel3 this summer and was very pleased.  I am again considering it (2nd time is a charm I guess).  Anyway, I have a question:

When I was uploading the radar images to my website; I only uploaded a copy of what was currently being displayed.  Is is possible to have three or four zoom levels of the current radar image automatically uploaded at the same time.

I would like to be able to let the viewer pick how wide (zoomed) the radar image would be?  Can this be done with GRLevel3?
South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: different zoom levels with GRLevel3
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 02:07:12 AM »
I don't publish GR data, but I'm not aware of any way to publish any zoomed images.  I think it will only send the default image.

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 07:56:36 AM »
Quote from: "anchorageweather"

I would like to be able to let the viewer pick how wide (zoomed) the radar image would be?  Can this be done with GRLevel3?

There is no program that I am aware of which will allow you to do that. What you would need is the raw data on your server and a viewing program of some sort which the user can interact with.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 07:57:40 AM »
It will publish the images at whatever zoom level you have GR3 at on your pc, so in short the answer is no unless you run two copies of GR3 at different zoom levels and have them both publishing. Then again I've never tried to publish with two at the same time so not sure it would work.

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 08:27:35 AM »
I'm working on this now but I don't have any of it up on the site yet. I still have a few things to work out.

You can do zoomed images. If you zoom in manually, and start the web site uploads it will upload your zoomed image. Since you can have multiple instances of GRLevel3 open you can open several instances, zoom to the different levels you want on each and upload your zoomed images for each.

There are some problems with this though and they are not solvable using just GRLevel3 alone as far as I can tell. The four main problems are:

1) Getting the instances of GRLevel3 opened at the zoom level you want. GRLevel3 appears to always open at the base zoom level. I'm new to the SW so there may be something I'm missing that can make it remember the zoom but I don't think there is. It remembers most everything else though when you open it except...

2) You can't get it to start your web publishing automatically on start up. It remembers all the login data but you have to manually start the uploads.

3) The image file names are all going to be the same so if you create different zoom levels and upload the files to the same place you still only end up with one zoom level. The different zoom levels have to uploaded to different locations (ie subdirectories).

4) If you have multiple instances FTP'ing different zoom levels to your server, you may bump into the connection limit set by your host or server, especially if you are already using multiple programs to upload other data.

Four is something you'd have to work out on your own based on the restrictions of the number of simultaneous FTP connections you can have to your server and the other options that might be available to you.

One, two and three can be solved using a nice little program called AutoIt. Basically, AutoIt lets you create a script that can include any keystrokes, mouse movements etc. that you would otherwise have to manually input to get whatever program you want to manipulate setup/started the way you want it. AutoIt can do a lot more than that but for what I need for GRLevel3 that's the best way to explain it. Below is the script that I'm working on to open GRLevel3, zoom in and center the image where I want it, and start the web publishing:

Code: [Select]
; Start GRLevel 3
; Note the value for WinWaitActive must match the text in the title
; bar of the GRLevel 3 window
Run("C:\Program Files\GRLevelX\GRLevel3\grlevel3.exe")
WinWaitActive("KTBW Tampa, FL - GRLevel3")
; Open the View menu
Send("!V")
; Zoom in one level
Send("{ENTER}")
; Center the image where I want it
MouseClickDrag("left", 500, 600, 475, 150)
; Open the file menu
Send("!F")
; Go down to the Web Publishing selection
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
; Start the web publishing
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")

As you'll note the script isn't currently changing the upload location so this on it's own isn't going to solve problem three above. I'm working on that part now. I'm in the process of learning AutoIt and the syntax etc. so I have to figure that part out. From what I can tell so far this is well within the capabilities of AutoIt and shouldn't be a problem.

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 08:46:23 AM »
Quote from: "Anole"
As you'll note the script isn't currently changing the upload location so this on it's own isn't going to solve problem three above. I'm working on that part now. I'm in the process of learning AutoIt and the syntax etc. so I have to figure that part out. From what I can tell so far this is well within the capabilities of AutoIt and shouldn't be a problem.

Whoa... you've done a ton of work on this.  Clearly GRLevel3 was not intended to do much in the way of web publishing.  Its too bad the developers couldn't add some publishing functionally to this software.  Its great otherwise.

Well, if it comes to pass, that I need to start using GRLevel3, I guess I will just have one zoom level - that is unless the author of the software makes some upgrades, or  Anole lets us pick his brain regarding his work arounds :wink:

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »
I believe I have the AutoIt stuff worked out. I've created 3 AutoIt scripts that open at various zoom levels and save the files to different subdirectories. I'm uploading the files to a local server so I can do some processing on them (goal is to create an animated GIFs and rename the files so they can be in the same directory) before putting them up on the hosted server. In all of these examples I'm using KTBW and I'm centering the image on my location with the exception of the base level. The centering needs a bit of tweaking and I'll probably add some more stuff to tweak the city names and roads but you get the idea. Note the images are static and not being updated at the moment but they show what the scripts are doing. They are also being saved as 500X500px in size.

Base level:

; Start GRLevel 3
; Open the file menu
Send("!F")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{TAB}")
Send ("weather/radar/base")
Send("{ENTER}")

1 Zoom Step:

; Start GRLevel 3
; Open the View menu
; Zoom in two levels
Send("!V")
Send("{ENTER}")
MouseClickDrag("left", 500, 600, 450, 100)
; Open the file menu
Send("!F")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{TAB}")
Send ("weather/radar/zoom1")
Send("{ENTER}")

2 zoom steps:

; Start GRLevel 3
; Open the View menu
; Zoom in two levels
Send("!V")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("!V")
Send("{ENTER}")
MouseClickDrag("left", 550, 900, 400, 0)
; Open the file menu
Send("!F")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{DOWN}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{ENTER}")
Send("{TAB}")
Send ("weather/radar/zoom2")
Send("{ENTER}")

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 12:28:15 PM »
Almost done with this. Ran into a slight problem executing the script on startup (both in the startup folder and using Startwatch). It was getting confused as to which window to manipulate since they were all titled the same. Needs a bit more testing but I should have a single script which does will start all of the zoom levels in the example above.

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 08:13:37 PM »
2) You can't get it to start your web publishing automatically on start up. It remembers all the login data but you have to manually start the uploads.

I actually had someone in the WD forums make and send me a macro program which I load into my START folder... works great on the server to restart downloading when the server takes a dump.

Davis VP2 6153; Weather Display (LIVE w/ Ajax); Quickcam for Notebooks Pro; Boltek w/ Nexstorm; GRLevel3; live NOAA Radio

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 08:28:20 PM »
Quote from: "carterlake"

I actually had someone in the WD forums make and send me a macro program which I load into my START folder... works great on the server to restart downloading when the server takes a dump.

:? ...can this program be had?!?

Offline carterlake

• Senior Contributor
    • CarterLake.org
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 08:40:07 PM »

It was er... hum... Niko

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,19705.0.html

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 09:28:34 PM »
I think I have all the issues with the AutoIt startup script worked out. I combined all three zoom levels into one script that you can download here:

http://weather.anolecomputer.com/GRL3all.zip

Everything is pretty self-explanatory but the one gotcha is that the window title needs to be exact. In my case it's "KTBW Tampa, FL - GRLevel3" so you'd need to change that to match yours before attempting to run the script. I'm starting it with StartWatch, but it could just as easily be added to the startup folder in windows. Now I just have to work out how I want to get the images to the site and I'll be up and running with GRLevel3 as my new radar source.

BTW, I don't know if I mentioned it before but AutoIt is free and can be downloaded here:

http://www.autoitscript.com/

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 09:33:01 PM »

It was er... hum... Niko

http://www.weather-watch.com/smf/index.php/topic,19705.0.html

Thanks for the lead :!:

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 01:16:09 PM »
I think I have all the issues with the AutoIt startup script worked out. I combined all three zoom levels into one script that you can download here:

http://weather.anolecomputer.com/GRL3all.zip

Turns out it wasn't quite worked out but I think it's solid now. Had to add some sleep time between commands and I had to make sure all the different windows had absolutely unique titles. If interested you can find an updated copy at the above link.

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 06:49:45 PM »
This is obviously a very old thread but does anyone know how to get the final best working version of the script? The link isn't to the file itself.  Thanks!

Offline derekm22098

• GRLevelXMods
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 07:56:07 PM »
Just saw this forum topic, the automated process is very possible as I did a coding request almost identical to this topic.
Let me know if it's still needed.

The coding scripts above look sufficient but I didn't test them.

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:31 PM »
Thank you, I am very interested!

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
No follow up on this?   Anybody?  I sure would appreciate a few tips!

Offline fourwatt

• Kenai Weather Live
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »
I have an autoit script I found on one of the forums here that I use to load 5 different radars by adding the radar id in the "command line".
If you would like this email me and I will send it to you

Ken

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »
I have an autoit script I found on one of the forums here that I use to load 5 different radars by adding the radar id in the "command line".
If you would like this email me and I will send it to you

Ken

Are you using this with GRLevel3 version 1 or version 2?

Thanks,
Mike
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline fourwatt

• Kenai Weather Live
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »
Mike,

I am using this with version 2

Took a little work but got it going

Ken

Offline fourwatt

• Kenai Weather Live
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
Here is the Autoit script that i use.
After making the necessary modifications for your specific situation compile using Autoit to create an EXE file.
After compiling use it as such "GR3.exe PAHG)  for each instance that you want started.
I created a batch file for mine as I had problems with keeping focused on grlevel3 as it started using system scheduler.
I use a "timeout 5" between each instance to give 5 seconds extra between each instance that I start.
I have included both scripts for you.

rename GR3.txt to GR3.au to edit and use with autoit
rename weathernetwork.txt to weathernetwork.bat to use a batch file

Ken
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:05:37 PM by fourwatt »

Offline derekm22098

• GRLevelXMods
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 03:40:28 PM »
Here is the Autoit script that i use.
After making the necessary modifications for your specific situation compile using Autoit to create an EXE file.
After compiling use it as such "GR3.exe PAHG)  for each instance that you want started.
I created a batch file for mine as I had problems with keeping focused on grlevel3 as it started using system scheduler.
I use a "timeout 5" between each instance to give 5 seconds extra between each instance that I start.
I have included both scripts for you.

rename GR3.txt to GR3.au to edit and use with autoit
rename weathernetwork.txt to weathernetwork.bat to use a batch file

Ken

Thanks for helping Ken, I offered to help then got very busy at work/home.

If there is any feature missing from the code Ken provided, feel free to post as I'm not busy this weekend.

Derek

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2014, 02:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the script Ken. I am uploading 2 levels of GR3 using Startwatch to run the .exe files.

The first one is the radar zoomed all the way out to create a 10 frame animates sequence.
The second one zooms in for more local information. I added a few lines after line 94 to control the zoom a bit more.
; Zoom in and choose location
Sleep (2000) ;add if needed ,some times needs a moment to catch up
MouseClickDrag("right", 660, 510, 900, 630) ;Zooms in
MouseClickDrag ("left", 696, 395, 740, 450) ; Drags map into location
The coordinates are obtained using the AutoIt Window Info utility.
Results here: Cave Country Radar

anything