Author Topic: Hotlink?  (Read 1749 times)

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
Hotlink?
« on: April 12, 2011, 09:47:17 PM »
Looks like a site tried to hotlink to my site to day.. It's a Volunteer Fire Department so I wasn't "to" concerned. Now they have a radar loop up and running. It looked to me on their first attempt they just copied my source code which wouldn't work because of all the missing files. I looked at their config file and they do not seem to be using my images. Also I use a background image and they are not. Just trying to figure out what they are doing. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks, Doug
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 08:03:34 PM by DougW »

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: Hotlink?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 11:40:36 AM »
If you look at all of the <!--insert here--> tags,  and dozens of  &nbsp; "spaces" in a row, it looks like a DIY template for someone who doesn't know a thing about HTML coding or how to use an editor.  They are probably also unaware of things like copyrights and hotlink-netiquette.  Since they are a public institution, it would not be out of line for you to educate them in this area before they run into problems.

For that object tag at the bottom that has your website URL in it, is that entire (non-functioning) snippet lifted from the source on your page?  If so, that's not cool and IIWM I would let them know that.  You imply that you don't mind the FD using your data, but you may want to remind them that lifting source-code is a no-no (not even talking about hotlinking), but you would be willing to assist in getting the page to work if you can be credited as the source of the data.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:58:41 PM »
I sent them an email this A.M. letting them know that the flanis.swf file needed to be placed on their server. They have not replied and the source code has not changed. I also included my config file and HTML code for including the loop on their site. The way I'm thinking, please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the way they have the code set up my site will need to be accessed also in order for the loop to run.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:02:45 AM »
I'm not sure exactly what they would need, but if there are calls to specific filepaths in config files or scripts, they would have to be correct and permissions set, especially relative vs. absolute paths.  Based on the sourcecode of the FD's original site, configuring a script may be over their webmaster's head.  Get a feel for their expertise when/if they reply.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.