Author Topic: Cumulus MX and Davis VP2 and Weather Link  (Read 1413 times)

Offline larryk

Cumulus MX and Davis VP2 and Weather Link
« on: December 07, 2020, 06:15:06 PM »
I have been successful in connecting my VP2 to Cumulus MX via the Davis serial logger (USB).
I have even figured out how to send my data to Weather Underground.
Now for the million dollar question: Can I also send my data to my (former) WeatherLink site? If so, how does one go about it?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Cumulus MX and Davis VP2 and Weather Link
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:32:41 PM »
Hi,
You would have to run your WeatherlinkPC to upload to your Weatherlink website, unless you are good at coding and modify the Weatherlink template webtags to be updated by the Cumulus webtags ;)   

In addition to the standard Cumulus web template there are several alternate templates that you can use... for some examples click on the Links tab here http://www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.php 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline larryk

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 07:43:52 PM »
Hi,
You would have to run your WeatherlinkPC to upload to your Weatherlink website,

Enjoy,
Paul

Can I assume that you cannot run Cumulus and WeatherlinkPC at the same time? That is what I would like to do.

BTW, good looking template !
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:45:50 PM by larryk »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:08:20 PM »
Correct, usually with normal loggers only one program at a time.  There are ways around it though:
Virtual Vantage Pro VirtualVP (softwx.com)  does allow for more than one (up to 8 ) if you can get and keep it running.  There is a recent post here on the forum were someone got it working again.
If you get another console/logger or a Weatherlink Life then you can run one program on each.

Enjoy,
Paul

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 08:10:58 PM by PaulMy »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 08:36:31 PM »
My understanding is the VVP is discontinued and although you could get it running it requires older firmware. Perhaps that older firmware only applies to the USB and IP loggers and not the Serial version...not sure. I think it has to do with VVP not processing Loop2 so you need a firmware before Loop2 was introduced. Not having Loop2 then presents itself with other issues like not having station pressure which means that Altimeter needs to be retro-calculated from Sea Level Presure and that is not as accurate. So bottom line is that yes some people are fine running VVVP but it isn't a perfect solution as it does bring in some compromise.

Another option is to get the WLL. Then you can run Cumulus MX off the WLL and run Weathelink for Windows with your USB logger. The WLL is its own thing and doesn't require your display console. The neat thing about the WLL is that it will allow you to run several applications at the same time. So if you want to continue to run Cumulus MX you can and then at the same time also try out WeeWX or Weather-Display or Meteobridge....no problem.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:31:46 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline larryk

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 09:06:13 PM »
I wish that I had done my research a little better before I bought the WL USB datalogger.
I can't see purchasing a WLL at this time. I will try the VVP, but will probably go back to using the WL software for now.
Thanks for the information and quick response!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 09:33:23 PM »
Well the USB Logger isn't so bad when you consider it is one of the few ways that you can run Weatherlink for Windows, because it will not work off the WLL. Therefore having the both the WLL and USB Logger is not a total waste.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything