Author Topic: Build Your Own Davis Console Datalogger  (Read 109151 times)

Offline Nessimmersion

Re: Build Your Own Davis Console Datalogger
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 07:37:58 AM »
Ref belfry boy
Is there a way to configure your datalogger to work wirelessly from a Vantage Vue to a PC?
I will not be able to run a cable from here my console is situated to my PC, so I'm looking for a workaround to allow me to save the data to my PC.
Any help / guidance much appreciated

Offline frisfur

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »
Hi Rob Received and installed the logger
All is working beautifully thanks very much!

The only thing that caught me is in the configuration screen of Cumulus
Make sure communication is set to serial not USB, I thought as it had a USB connection that was the one to choose,
After a few minutes of playing around, clicked on serial and hey presto!
I have data!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:39:57 AM by frisfur »

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #77 on: February 09, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »
Ref belfry boy
Is there a way to configure your datalogger to work wirelessly from a Vantage Vue to a PC?
I will not be able to run a cable from here my console is situated to my PC, so I'm looking for a workaround to allow me to save the data to my PC.
Any help / guidance much appreciated

If you're running Windows (I imagine you are) then this might be a shout http://www.silexamerica.com/products/usb_device_connectivity/sx-2000wg.html. I was looking at getting their Ethernet-only version for my console but as it turned out I didn't end up with that setup. It has software for connecting the USB to the computer. Saying that, I can't guarantee it will work but I can't see any reason why it won't.
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus - Weather Underground ICARMART10

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #78 on: February 09, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »

Make sure communication is set to serial not USB, I thought as it had a USB connection that was the one to choose,
I have data!

Thanks Chris, i hadn't thought to point this out, but that is correct. since the PC sees the logger on a virtual com port, then Cumulus should be set for serial.

Rob

Offline Nessimmersion

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
If you're running Windows (I imagine you are) then this might be a shout http://www.silexamerica.com/products/usb_device_connectivity/sx-2000wg.html. I was looking at getting their Ethernet-only version for my console but as it turned out I didn't end up with that setup. It has software for connecting the USB to the computer. Saying that, I can't guarantee it will work but I can't see any reason why it won't.
[/quote]

Thanks,
The Silex is around £105 here & a datalogger from Befryboy would be around ???
So am I better spending this much on a probable fix or should I spend a fortune on the Davis remote set up?
Any opinions
Thanks

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2012, 11:46:29 AM »
Nessimmersion

Belfryboy logger is priced at £50 (and that includes postage.) although I could add acouple of wireless transponders for about £30, give me a couple of days and I'll let you know if I have a solution...

PM me if you are interested
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:07:32 PM by belfryboy »

Offline MaxHawkins

• Max Hawkins
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2012, 01:12:35 PM »

I have data!

Thanks Chris, i hadn't thought to point this out, but that is correct. since the PC sees the logger on a virtual com port, then Cumulus should be set for serial.

Rob

I spent about 10 minutes trying to work out why it wouldn't connect too, then I changed it to serial and behold, it worked.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:43:24 AM by MaxHawkins »
Davis Vantage Vue - Cumulus - Weather Underground ICARMART10

Offline frisfur

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2012, 05:37:58 AM »
Nessimmersion

Belfryboy logger is priced at £50 (and that includes postage.) although I could add acouple of wireless transponders for about £30, give me a couple of days and I'll let you know if I have a solution...

PM me if you are interested

I would be intersted in some sort of wireless transponder too Rob How big would it be and how would it work?

Offline phill

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
Hi Rob Received and installed logger runing great. logger very well made and it works a treat if you are thinking on buying one get one you will not be sorry. thanks alot rob.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2012, 07:48:40 AM »
 :grin:

Thanks for the reviews guys, i have been wanting to do this sort of thing for a while, glad to be of service.

"Roll up roll up, get 'em while they're 'ot!!"

Again many thanks to Dekay for the inspiration! =D>

Offline Gretnawx

• Gretna Weather Page
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »
So the question is when will the lawyers be calling regarding patent violation.  Or perhaps you have a arrangement with Davis to market their patented technology?
There are 10 types of people in the world - Those that know binary and those that don't

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2012, 06:58:07 PM »

Thanks for the reviews guys, i have been wanting to do this sort of thing for a while, glad to be of service.

ROFL  That sounds just like Miss Brahms!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2012, 09:16:26 PM »

ROFL  That sounds just like Miss Brahms!

=D> =D> =D> =D>
LOL !!!! My only reason to stay up late and watch Public TV is to hear "Are you FREEEEEE ?"

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »
So the question is when will the lawyers be calling regarding patent violation.  Or perhaps you have a arrangement with Davis to market their patented technology?

What patent??
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2012, 05:37:08 AM »
apparently Davis have a patent on either SPI communication protocol, or Dataflash chips, I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out.
 :roll:
I have made sure that this will not work with WeatherLink software, even though I now know how to. This is to prevent software piracy, which has previously been a problem.

I'm sure Davis have been following this thread, and as of yet have received no contact.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 11:10:38 AM by belfryboy »

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2012, 12:40:25 PM »
I would have thought that providing you havent gone out of your way to break their patents etc, and you keep things on a small local scale, it would probably cost them more to sue you then to let you get on with it. Especially since, (Davis take note here!) I only bought a Vue, BECAUSE you have made an interface available at a sensible cost. If I HAD to buy the Davis one, I would have bought the OS WMR200 instead due to lack of funds. So actually Davis have already gained form you.

Anyway, since they havent been onto Sloweather yet either, I really wouldnt worry at this stage my friend.
Looking forward to getting mine this coming week!
Woody

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »
apparently Davis have a patent on either SPI communication protocol, or Dataflash chips, I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out.
I have made sure that this will not work with WeatherLink software, even though I now know how to. This is to prevent software piracy, which has previously been a problem.

I'm sure Davis have been following this thread, and as of yet have received no contact.

I'm sure the datalogger is patented by Davis.  But unless you cloned theirs, yours is an new way of doing the same thing.  Unless the datastream from the connector on the back is copyright (like National Football League broadcasts, I don't think possible) then you are just using what you found, like DeKay with the wireless ISS data in his console project.  But if there is a patent on the protocol, then you can't create a new invention that creates it or uses it like an open standard.  If it was scrambled using a proprietary (trade-secret) method, then you would need their license to use it, like cable-tv signals.  If the chip is commerically available without restricted use, then that shouldn't be a problem, as when you patent a chip, you can control it's use through specific language in the patent.  For example, if it says "this chip is for logging the davis protocol" then they wouldn't be distributing it to the open market.  If the patent says "this chip can be used for logging" and they make it publicly available, you can purchase and use it for your own logger, just not clone/counterfeit the chip.  You can't patent a broad use, it has to be specific.

So, unless the answer to any of these questions is yes, you are probably in the clear, otherwise you will need a license from the patent holder to distribute/sell your derivative invention.  By the way, if you wanted patent protection for your NEW improved device, the clock is ticking.  Under US and EU laws, you have one year from the time you made it public to apply or it becomes public domain.

• Is the protocol patented?
  • Is the datastream claimed under copyright?
  • Does the patent on the chip list specific intended (controlled) uses?
  • Did you reverse engineer any portion of a patent by deconstruction of a licensed product?
  • Did you have access to any resources or proprietary materials belonging to the patent holder?

Note, this is not legal advice.  Consult an attorney for that.  I'm probably making all of this up.  YMMV.  Yada yada.

Quote from: ukwoody
If I HAD to buy the Davis one, I would have bought the OS WMR200 instead due to lack of funds. So actually Davis have already gained form you.
=D> Brilliant example of free-market capitalism.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:46:46 PM by xykotik »

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2012, 02:24:25 PM »
I'm sure the datalogger is patented by Davis.

Davis usually list their patents in their documentation, and having looked through these I can see no reference to the datalogger. The datalogging chip is an off the shelf Dataflash chip, commercially available, and all Davis do is write values to memory addresses, and read them back again. I would suggest that it would be extremely hard for Davis to patent that process.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »
"I would suggest that it would be extremely hard for Davis to patent that process."

Yeah, they're not a drug company! :evil:

Offline DeKay

• Forecaster
    • Mad Scientist Labs
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »

No problem.  Unless you count frying my LCD a problem.  My replacement is in the mail so that problem should go away soon.

Show me.  I'll help you out and give you a head start.

I have made sure that this will not work with WeatherLink software, even though I now know how to.

Interesting...

The datalogging chip is an off the shelf Dataflash chip, commercially available, and all Davis do is write values to memory addresses, and read them back again. I would suggest that it would be extremely hard for Davis to patent that process.

^^^ This ^^^.  And the entire data exchange is driven by the firmware on the console, which we neither copy nor modify.  The low level interface is Atmel's design, from their processor chip to their memory chip.  The clone logger is analagous to putting Energizer batteries into a Duracell flashlight.

UK humour (note the spelling) will always be beyond me, I'm afraid.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »
Quote from: DeKay
Quote from: xykotik on Today at 09:43:25 AM

Show me.  I'll help you out and give you a head start.

I said I'm no patent attorney.  How about...  "Davis 'may have' patented it."  If they didn't, definately no problem.  If they did, I still don't see how either yours or Bellfryboy's work would be a problem.  A proto monkey-wrench looks a lot like a snap-on.  I say "nice work!"

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »

What software piracy??  You can freely download WL if that is your concern.  Sure, they say you need a license, but that sure does not match with their actions.  heck, I think the CD license is really just the cost of the box and CD.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2012, 03:52:52 PM »
AFAIK you cannot download WL in it's entirity, just the upgrades. Either way using it without a licence would be deemed as piracy, certainly in the UK it would. Whilst many people do use "hooky" copies of software, I do not wish to promote this. Likewise I would not suggest that any one uses a hacked copy of WeatherDisplay.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Sure you can!  Right off the Davis website.. In fact they promoted it when all the 5.9.3 issues arose.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
Sure you can!  Right off the Davis website.. In fact they promoted it when all the 5.9.3 issues arose.

Isn't 5.9.3 the latest version?  Released 11 months ago?  If so, what issues does it still have?

[Yeah, I know this is off-topic]