Weather Station Hardware > What Weather Station Should I Buy?

Campbell Scientific WxPRO Offered To Me

(1/2) > >>

GHammer:
I have an opportunity to get a Campbell Scientific WxPRO for the cost of shipping.
I looked at the limited info on their website, and while it looks nice, no idea how it would interface with anything.

Anyone with any info?

TheBushPilot:
If it's only for the cost of shipping - absolutely do it. Only if you want to of course.

WxPRO on CSI's Website:

https://www.campbellsci.com/wxpro

Instruments:

R. M Young 03002 Wind Sentry Anemometer/Wind Vane
Campbell Scientific HYGROVUE5 T/RH Probe
Setra 278 Barometric Pressure Sensor
Texas Electronics TE525 TB Rain Gauge
Apogee Instruments SP-110 Pyranometer
Cambpell Scientific CR300 Data Logger

While only entry level it features the full nine yards.

Interfacing is as easy/complex as you want. Not sure if it would come with LoggerNet ($890) but ideally that's what you'd want to use. That or PC400 (free) of which both have remote and direct connection capabilities and a suite of useful tools for data logging. I'm not sure how it would be communicating - that would be the biggest determining factor. You can get the data logger with wifi/cell/GOES satellite/RF Radio communications and of course directly by cable.

Best of luck.

CW2274:
BushPilot, I just saw this pic of yours and wanted to share how cool I thought it was seeing the rain freeze outwards from the spinning blades. Nice catch!  =D>

https://met-instruments-project.com/gallery/#jp-carousel-998

GHammer:

--- Quote from: TheBushPilot on April 21, 2023, 11:59:11 PM ---If it's only for the cost of shipping - absolutely do it. Only if you want to of course.

While only entry level it features the full nine yards.

Interfacing is as easy/complex as you want. Not sure if it would come with LoggerNet ($890) but ideally that's what you'd want to use. That or PC400 (free) of which both have remote and direct connection capabilities and a suite of useful tools for data logging. I'm not sure how it would be communicating - that would be the biggest determining factor. You can get the data logger with wifi/cell/GOES satellite/RF Radio communications and of course directly by cable.

Best of luck.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I'll have to ask, but I think it will be a cell connection as this was part of a cancelled wind farm install. They went with more capable equipment I'm told. Hopefully it would be not too costly to change to RF or WiFi.

DaleReid:
IF nothing else you could get the sensors and put them to use.

I had gotten what was advertised as being a Campbell enclosure box.  When it came there was a Vaisala barometer module, a solar/battery power supply with interface, and hidden in under the bottom of the box was a CR10X.  All plug ins to the interface was through small amphenol round plugs.

I had a conversation with an engineer at Campbell who told me that the software that ran the CR10X was no longer available nor supported, that his recollection of that station was that only some of the no longer available sensor configurations, or even their schematics which I was looking for to figure out what to plug in where on the bottom to get the data into the CR10 were available, and while Campbell has always bent over backwards to supply old support documents, he was pretty discouraging of me getting that up and running, since a couple of the things depended upon software packages that were no longer available.

I have the box, I have repurposed some of the stuff and still am happy and also very happy with Campbell being open and helpful to  amateurs or those not always buying brand new stuff.

That being said, this unit might be newer.  If  you have some degree of programming experience, you can get a copy of LoggerNet and do just about anything you want with it.  With the help of a few of the members here I was able to take my CR3000, get a bunch of sensors I had collected over the years and do some very basic programming to produce an output string that talks to my Weather Display software to run the station.  I don't see why you couldn't figure out a way to make it work with a WiFi interface or RS232 or such if you wanted to.

It might be this version you are perhaps being gifted is newer than the box I got and has Campbell Support available.

If it is close enough for you to take a pickup or van and go get it, that would be a no brainer in my view since the stuff hanging on the tripod is very high quality stuff.  Over the years I have been lucky enough to get one of those bare tripods and they are excellent, what I'd call research or university grade.

Keep us posted.  This kind of thing is of interest.  Somewhere in a storage tote I might even have a 900 MHz transmitter but don't have a clue if it works or how to interface it off hand but came in a bunch of CS stuff I got years ago.  It sounds as if you were planning on a remote installation of this again where power and a local computer might not be readily available except for the solar panel.  I wonder if you would consider interfacing to some of the small computers such as a Raspberry Pi family or Arduino and have it function to get the data to you.

Enough rambling.  Go for it if the shipping isn't too expensive.
Dale

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version