Author Topic: Restore Online mode on 6313 console after going "offline".  (Read 1720 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Restore Online mode on 6313 console after going "offline".
« on: March 25, 2023, 10:44:32 AM »
My uploads stopped earlier this morning. I had the maybe not so bright idea of going "offline", with the hope of restoring things by going back online with uploads to weatherlink.com.

When I went offline, there doesn't appear to be any way to get it back online again. I expected an "online" button about where the "offline" one was, but no luck there.

Anyone have an idea on this? I have a WLL doing uploads, so this isn't critically important, but it would be nice to know.

Thanks,

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline mongo

Re: Restore Online mode on 6313 console after going "offline".
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 11:25:11 AM »
only thing I found from https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/general-please-read
What is much less obvious is how to change the mode back to online again if the console has been set offline for a period. Davis say that the easiest way is to request an action that can only be completed if you are online and the console will then prompt you to log in again. It isn’t clear whether or not a more obvious button or menu option might be added in future.

So, for example, go to the Home screen and hit the tab for 7-day data. If the console is not actively uploading to weatherlink.com then this will bring up the log-in screen to re-establish the uploads to weatherlink.com. Unfortunately the console does not currently seem to remember the log-in and password if these were previously set up and so these details will need to be re-entered. But once the uploads are flowing again then the past history while the console was offline will be uploaded as well, though this process may well take some substantial time, especially if the console has been offline for an extended period. Of course, it is always a good idea to check with the Weatherlink phone or browser apps that data has started to be uploaded again.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 11:27:08 AM by mongo »
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 02:38:06 PM »
only thing I found from https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/general-please-read
What is much less obvious is how to change the mode back to online again if the console has been set offline for a period. Davis say that the easiest way is to request an action that can only be completed if you are online and the console will then prompt you to log in again. It isn’t clear whether or not a more obvious button or menu option might be added in future.

So, for example, go to the Home screen and hit the tab for 7-day data. If the console is not actively uploading to weatherlink.com then this will bring up the log-in screen to re-establish the uploads to weatherlink.com. Unfortunately the console does not currently seem to remember the log-in and password if these were previously set up and so these details will need to be re-entered. But once the uploads are flowing again then the past history while the console was offline will be uploaded as well, though this process may well take some substantial time, especially if the console has been offline for an extended period. Of course, it is always a good idea to check with the Weatherlink phone or browser apps that data has started to be uploaded again.

Thanks, Mongo.

I did just that and I got the "offline" button back. I'll have to monitor it for a while to see if the data shows up again.

I'll update this if it does.

UPDATE: no data appearing on Android app or PC bulletin..

Greg H.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 04:02:47 PM by miraculon »

Offline mongo

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 05:54:38 PM »
just send a email to Davis Tech explaining issues. That's probably what its going to take to find all the bugs so they can work on them. Be patient. It is a good looking screen in my opinion.
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 06:16:56 PM »
I did just that and I got the "offline" button back. I'll have to monitor it for a while to see if the data shows up again.

I'll update this if it does.

UPDATE: no data appearing on Android app or PC bulletin..

When you hit eg the 7-day tab on the summary/forecast screen and follow through to re-enter your wl.com username & pw then you must hit a Save button at some point in the process, otherwise the uploads won't be reinstated IIRC. Davis are aware of this general issue and it should be fixed in a firmware update in 3-4 weeks' time. In the meantime it's probably best not to play around with going offline (in the sense of experimenting I mean). Hitting eg the 7-day button is just a temporary workaround to force the updated configuration to be saved.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 07:59:16 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mongo

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 06:48:52 PM »
Again Johnd, thanks for all your effort and help.
FW7415
KCOCASTL611
Stella Ranch WLL

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2023, 12:19:27 PM »
I tried the "R" paperclip button and the console reset. Still no joy on the uploads though.

I might try the "factory reset" route. (not looking forward to it though..)

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2023, 01:01:35 PM »
I tried the "R" paperclip button and the console reset. Still no joy on the uploads though.

I might try the "factory reset" route. (not looking forward to it though..)

Greg H.

Success! Now uploading to both PC Bulletin and the Android Weatherlink app. \:D/

Unlike the initial OOBE time, the map was stable as were all the setting options. Apparently there was something corrupt in memory as delivered.

Connection to station transmitters, weatherlink.com, and configuring the display all went well. Of course having the benefit of being the 2nd time through it helped.

Davis could improve the owners manuals with more details about using wind transmitters, offline control and the "R" button. They should add a soft reset in the GUI in addition to the "factory" one.

Greg H.

Offline jcolsen

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 12:48:51 PM »
Thanks for this post. I have the same issue and was wondering what to try next.

—Joe

Offline thomas

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 02:47:25 PM »
Question, I have a Weatherlink Live sending data to Davis.  I also have the new 6313.  What advantage would it be to use the 6313 sending the info out ?

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 08:22:17 AM »
Question, I have a Weatherlink Live sending data to Davis.  I also have the new 6313.  What advantage would it be to use the 6313 sending the info out ?

[This question would really be better asked in / moved to the main 6313 thread.]

I think the basic answer is no significant benefit, at least as far as the current 6313 firmware is concerned - maybe future firmware could offer something that the WLL does not offer, but that's just speculation.

That said, there is no real disadvantage that I am aware of to having the 6313 upload data to wl.com - you simply set the 6313 to upload to a new station (with a unique name) within your current account. Provided you don't need access to the 6313 historical data at wl.com, it costs nothing to do this and ensures that the 6313 is in communication with wl.com. I guess that if you ever did decide in future to upgrade the 6313 station to Pro in future that at least all your historical data would be there already for you to access (albeit at only 15min archive interval).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.