Author Topic: Do more with your data: Connect a GW1000 and a Meteobridge to your station  (Read 10640 times)

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
  • "Be aware to our nature"
    • PIMOHWEATHER
Bad News,

I cancelled right away my order from AMAZON for GW1000, because according to ECOWITT, they only SOLD GW1000 in US at 915 MHZ, my requirement is 433 MHZ so that I can still use my current array Fine Offset sensors.

Can you give me a source other than Ecowitt that HAS 433MHZ frequency of GW1000?  ](*,)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Only places I know to get a GW1000 is Amazon (US website) or directly from Ecowitt. And yes the Amazon version is only for US use with 915 MHz. I didn't think you would have been able to order from Amazon as I thought it was locked down. They should lock that down just as many other things on Amazon are locked down from other countries to prevent this mistake. Why not just order from Ecowitt? Lucy can even take an order over email I believe. When you order from Ecowitt directly then you can specify the frequency you need.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER

Hi galfert,

Well actually I did, but they prefer me to oder on AMAZON on US or in AU so thats the first I did, but to surprised they tell me thet in AMAZON only 915 MHZ is available. After some questioning,

but  yes Ms. Lucy responded on my E-mail and they accept through bank payments.
I will process that right away tomorrow, will just get first the details of their bank account they gave me.

regards

-mike-

Only places I know to get a GW1000 is Amazon (US website) or directly from Ecowitt. And yes the Amazon version is only for US use with 915 MHz. I didn't think you would have been able to order from Amazon as I thought it was locked down. They should lock that down just as many other things on Amazon are locked down from other countries to prevent this mistake. Why not just order from Ecowitt? Lucy can even take an order over email I believe. When you order from Ecowitt directly then you can specify the frequency you need.

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
Re: Do more with your data: Connect a GW1000 and a Meteobridge to your station
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2020, 01:15:35 PM »
Just ordered my  AmbientWeatherBridge to go along with my GW1000 and ws-2000. Finally 8-).

Looking forward to setting this up and sending my data to other sites.. Think / hope I can figure this one out!

Any last minute pointers are welcome.
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22
PWS at 2 locations.
1- Storm Sensor-Zelda the dog ;)

Offline ajay100

If you have a Fine Offset clone weather station like: Ambient Weather, Ecowitt, Froggit, Misol, Maplin, Tycon...etc. There is now a new solution to do more with your weather data. You could before connect a Meteobridge but that required the use of an ObserverIP. There now is a newer method instead of using an ObserverIP. The Meteobridge now can get weather data from an Ecowitt GW1000. This is a device that Fine Offset has released and it is possible that soon other Fine Offset reseller brands will also carry it. The good news is that it seems that the GW1000 from Ecowitt is capable of receiving data from other sensors that are not Ecowitt branded. This seems to follow what was previously known regarding the ObserverIP as long as the frequency matched.

The GW1000 is a new console available for your Fine Offset station. It is configured via a mobile app called WS View (Android and iOS). You can see live data on the WS View app. You can continue to use your existing display console. By connecting the GW1000 to the Meteobridge (or WeatherBridge) you'll be able to send your data to just about any online weather service including CWOP and many others, also to your own website, and to your own SQL server.

Hello there, I'm new here.

I was inspired by this post to purchase a GW1000 433MHz model to read from my PanTech PT-WA3081 (3081 clone) in Australia. I was hoping to work around the USB lockup issue which is quite frequent with my unit.  The GW1000 is working and visible in the WS View app, with readings from it's own sensors, however it is not picking up the 3081 sensors in the app.

I am now not sure whether there is a fault with the GW1000, or whether there is a limitation on the models that can be seen by the GW1000.  The 3081 is working with its console (433MHz) and via USB to a RPi4 running weewx.  I've spent today searching for evidence of compatibility and other posts suggest the GW1000 only works with a limited selection of PWSs, i.e. WH2900/2950 and HP2550, etc.  I'm hoping that someone out there may know!

Cheers - Andrew

PS, my outdoor sensor array is the same as the Ecowitt HP2551, also identified as WH65 (WS-2902A-ARRAY Osprey Sensor) in this post: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38491.0
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 05:16:02 AM by ajay100 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
PS, my outdoor sensor array is the same as the Ecowitt HP2551, also identified as WH65 (WS-2902A-ARRAY Osprey Sensor) in this post: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=38491.0

No, it isn't the same. Take a closer look at your anemometer. Your wind vane is on top and on the WH65 it is on the bottom. They look similar but not the same. The 3081 is of a prior generation... like 2 generations prior.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The unit to the left is not compatible with the GW1000
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:09:16 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
On the face of it if the sensor array is the same as the WH65 then we would expect the GW1000 to be picking up the data as long as the frequency of the GW1000 and the external sensor array matches.

If you are sure that you have the correct frequency match I would drop Lucy an e-mail on support@ecowitt.com for advice.
Unfortunately Pantech is not a common brand outside of Australia so I don't know if there are any folks with similar setups who can advise.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline ajay100

No, it isn't the same. Take a closer look at your anemometer. Your wind vane is on top and on the WH65 it is on the bottom. They look similar but not the same. The 3081 is of a prior generation... like 2 generations prior.

Yes, that is my mistake.  Do you know what the difference would be?  Is it the protocol?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:24:30 AM by ajay100 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Yes, that is my mistake.  Do you know what the difference would be?  Is it the protocol?

Yes the protocol is different. It may use the same frequency but the protocol is totally different and matches an earlier Fine Offset generation that looked like this:
This is also not compatible with the GW1000.

I've updated this earlier post on this thread with these new images of incompatible sensor arrays.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36772.msg378044#msg378044
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:47:26 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline pimohdaimaoh

• Forecaster
    • PIMOHWEATHER

Hi galfert,

Well actually I did, but they prefer me to oder on AMAZON on US or in AU so thats the first I did, but to surprised they tell me thet in AMAZON only 915 MHZ is available. After some questioning,

but  yes Ms. Lucy responded on my E-mail and they accept through bank payments.
I will process that right away tomorrow, will just get first the details of their bank account they gave me.

regards

-mike-

I Forgot to mentioned that I already have my GW1000 and its so good its easy to integrate in Meteobridge and weather display, now my webpage is now updating evry 10 seconds, I still using my weewx for NOAA records and as my additional source page on my main
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:44:52 AM by pimohdaimaoh »

Offline jeau

« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2020, 08:50:41 PM »
Realize too that another option is to get a complete system from Ecowitt, not just the GW1000. The only thing you have to lose then is that there is no AmbeintWeather.com upload. Which means you don't get any of the neat features that AmbientWeather.net offers like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant integrations. But Ecowitt has stated that they are considering maybe at implementing this too as some point with Ecowitt.net.

However if you have a WeatherBridge (from Ambient) then you gain AmbientWeather.net upload capability. The WeatherBridge may seem expensive compared to a DIY Meteobridge but realize a DIY Meteobridge doesn't have the AmbientWeather.net license. But if you have a DIY Meteobridge (or some other branded Meteobridge as they do exist in other countries) you can add the AmbientWeather.net license for $150. When you consider this added license it is actually cheaper to have gotten the WeatherBridge from Ambient to begin with...which is why I have a WeatherBridge instead of DIY Meteobridge. For those that are still confused...a WeatherBridge is a Meteobridge that is sold by Ambient already built and ready to just be plugged in and used.

So in my case with an Ecowitt GW1000 and an Ambient Weatherbridge my data ends up at both Ecowitt.net and AmbientWeather.net. I'm even sending my PM2.5 to my SQL server now. No online weather service, other than Ecowitt.net, yet takes PM2.5 (that I know of) but I've got it all in SQL because of the Meteobridge.
Hi Galfert, thanks for your information, I have all the the Ecowitt devices and GW1000 and I will get my Ambient Weather Eeatherbridge tomorrow, my aim is use the Ecowitt sensors data through ambient weatherbridge to smartthings and IFTTT, my question is, is it possible?
can you see all the ecowitt sensors on Ambient  apps?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2020, 10:14:35 PM »
Yes IFTTT is supported by Ambientweather.net. And SmartThings integrates with IFTTT. I played around with this a while back. I don't remember it off hand to specifically give you any guidance. Since then Samsung is trying to shed SmartThings Classic and I don't know what limitations exist with the new SmartThings.

Ambientweather.net supports only the sensors that they have.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 10:16:37 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ullises

• Real Time weather info
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2020, 08:51:50 AM »
Hi , anyone here uses Froggit hp1000se , gw1000 and Metobridge (tp-link) together with Virtual Weather Station ?
i moved from Davis Pro2 to Froggit (gw1000) but i cant use WVS now... VWS just cant connect to MeteobridgeIP...
I cant use Weather Display as there is no data logging any more (like it was with Davis) , so the graphs will not look so good...

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2020, 09:09:06 AM »
Hi , anyone here uses Froggit hp1000se , gw1000 and Metobridge (tp-link) together with Virtual Weather Station ?
i moved from Davis Pro2 to Froggit (gw1000) but i cant use WVS now... VWS just cant connect to MeteobridgeIP...
I cant use Weather Display as there is no data logging any more (like it was with Davis) , so the graphs will not look so good...
If you mean by Weather Display Brian's (from NZ) software (www.weather-display.com), it can connect to the GW1000, for about one year now.
In the Control Panel you have to choose station type Ecowitt GW1000 and enter the IP address of your GW1000 in your local network.
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2020, 09:23:49 AM »
Ambient VWS is discontinued software and thus does not support newer station hardware such as the GW1000.

The GW1000 does work with Weather-Display as Gyvate pointed out. But with the GW1000 you have to keep the system running because the GW1000 is not a logger. For this reason I recommend a dedicated computer or better yet a Raspberry Pi to run your weather software. You've essentially then built a low power logger. The Raspberry Pi can run Cumulus MX, Meteobridge, Weather-Display, or WeeWX. Add a decent battery backup and you are good to go.

By the way Meteobridge on a TP-Link is not a logger. It saves no data (other than max/min records). But Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi is a logger and stores all your data and has graphs and charts. You can export and import data.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:49:20 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
By the way Meteobridge on a TP-Link is not a logger. It saves no data. But Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi is a logger and stores all your data and has graphs and charts.

How about Meteobridge Pro? Would it be considered a logger?
My Meteobridge Pro Red wiki says it has enough storage for 10 years of data.
The Meteobridge Pro also has graphs and charts.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »
By the way Meteobridge on a TP-Link is not a logger. It saves no data. But Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi is a logger and stores all your data and has graphs and charts.

How about Meteobridge Pro? Would it be considered a logger?
My Meteobridge Pro Red wiki says it has enough storage for 10 years of data.
The Meteobridge Pro also has graphs and charts.

Yes the Meteobridge PRO is a logger as it has an internal USB flash drive to hold several years of data. The Meteobridge NANO if it has an appropriate SD card becomes the NANO SD and that too has logging capabilities. The PRO, NANO SD, and the new RPI have almost the same advanced features. You can see the differences here:
https://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Comparison

But this being the Fine Offset clone section of the forum is why I didn't mention the PRO nor the NANO SD as those are for Davis stations. Well technically speaking the PRO would work for a Fine Offset station but I would say few people with this type of station have gone through that expense. The new Meteobridge installation image for the Raspberry Pi is a big game changer for bringing these PRO features to Fine Offset stations at a much more reasonable price. The PRO still has its differentiating merits for those that need that.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 07:22:17 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2020, 11:34:38 PM »
Thanks, George.
I'm still new to this and I'm still in full learn mode.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2020, 02:50:05 AM »
Thanks, George.
Hi Gary
I am one of these "unusual" FineOffset / Meteobridge PRO users George mentioned (as you can tell from my signature) - and if you own a PRO and are interested in some information exchange, feel free to PM me.  8-)
Nowadays the MB Pro is quite weather station hardware independent regarding it's data logging, storage and depiction capacities.
But, true too, the RPi could become a game changer here.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 02:53:04 AM by Gyvate »
WS2350 1.6.7, GW1000(3) 1.7.7,WH2650 WiFi (2) 1.7.7 (test/backup), GW1100 2.3.1, GW2000(3) 3.1.1, HP2551 1.9.5,5.1.5;HP3500 1.7.2,WS3800 1.2.8, WN1910 1.2.3,WN1980 1.2.3;
Ecowitt WS90(2)1.3.5/1.4.0, WS80(2)1.2.5, WS68, WS69, WH40, WH31, WH31-EP, WN30, WN34L, WN35, WH32, WH32-EP, WH32B, WH57 [Lightning], WH41 [PM2.5], WH51, WH45, WH55
MeteobridgePro(2)[test,prod] 5.8 Mar 01 2024, 15185 - Blake-Larsen Sun Recorder - RPi4/weewx 4.8.0/4.10.2/CumulusMX 3283/Meteobridge RPi4B-2GB(3169)
Barani Meteoshield Pro, MetSpec Rad02 - Ecowitt 5763,34418;WU ISAARB3(WH4000SE),ISAARB22(HP2553), http://meshka.eu

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »
Thanks, George.
Hi Gary
I am one of these "unusual" FineOffset / Meteobridge PRO users George mentioned (as you can tell from my signature) - and if you own a PRO and are interested in some information exchange, feel free to PM me.  8-)
Nowadays the MB Pro is quite weather station hardware independent regarding it's data logging, storage and depiction capacities.
But, true too, the RPi could become a game changer here.

Danke

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2021, 01:46:32 PM »
Do we need a Meteobridge device to send data to CWOP? I have Weewx running on a Pi 4 with an Ecowitt GW1000, which reports to underground and a few others, but when I research CWOP, sound like I have to have the Meteobridge and I don't feel like buying one for $200 to send data to one network.

Thanks!
Ecowitt GW1000 | WS-2902C |Weewx on Raspberry Pi
WU: KNMLOVIN14  |  PWSweather: PWSLOVNM1
CWOP: FW9112; https://lovingtonweather.com

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2021, 02:02:03 PM »
Do we need a Meteobridge device to send data to CWOP? I have Weewx running on a Pi 4 with an Ecowitt GW1000, which reports to underground and a few others, but when I research CWOP, sound like I have to have the Meteobridge and I don't feel like buying one for $200 to send data to one network.

Thanks!
1. weewx can also send data to CWOP - there is a corresponding section in weewx.conf

#   This section is for uploading data to Internet sites

[StdRESTful]

[[StationRegistry]]
        # To register this weather station with weewx, set this to true
        register_this_station = false

[[AWEKAS]]
        # This section is for configuring posts to AWEKAS.

# If you wish to do this, set the option 'enable' to true,
        # and specify a username and password.
        # To guard against parsing errors, put the password in quotes.
        enable = false
        username = replace_me
        password = replace_me

[[CWOP]]
        # This section is for configuring posts to CWOP.

# If you wish to do this, set the option 'enable' to true,
        # and specify the station ID (e.g., CW1234).
        enable = false
        station = replace_me

2. Meteobridge runs on a dedicated RPi with special SLC storage
minimum investment = 70 USD license, 30 USD for a 16 GB SLC SD card (SLC is mandatory for SD card survival), plus a RPi3 or 4 - the smallest RPi4 (2 GB) is more than good enough.
MB can do many things like having multiple stations in one database instance.
Only for sending data to CWOP a MB is surely overkill.
But it can do many more things (if you want and need them)

I'm running MB on a RPi4-2GB/16GB SLC - and weewx on another one. MB on RPi (or a MB Pro device) comes with a complete operating system and you cannot run other applications on it.
It's a dedicated weather server - with many features weewx doesn't have. It's simpler to handle, you have live data at any second ....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:08:40 PM by Gyvate »

Offline TinkerTown

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2021, 02:58:40 PM »
Awesome, I didn't see that section! Thank you, lot of good information there.

Thanks!
Ecowitt GW1000 | WS-2902C |Weewx on Raspberry Pi
WU: KNMLOVIN14  |  PWSweather: PWSLOVNM1
CWOP: FW9112; https://lovingtonweather.com

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
It's simpler to handle, you have live data at any second

But if my weather station isn't analog, it doesn't matter if it product-XYZ claims to be 'live' data because it isn't.  The readings are only updated periodically when the station emits data (or is queried).

A weewx system with the Belchertown skin and websockets enabled gets you as realtime as the sensor emits.   You can sit there and watch the wind change every few seconds (for me a VP2, but I have ecowitt T+H+soil sensors too on a second weewx instance).
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline Gyvate

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2021, 03:08:19 PM »
It's simpler to handle, you have live data at any second

But if my weather station isn't analog, it doesn't matter if it product-XYZ claims to be 'live' data because it isn't.  The readings are only updated periodically when the station emits data (or is queried).

A weewx system with the Belchertown skin and websockets enabled gets you as realtime as the sensor emits.   You can sit there and watch the wind change every few seconds (for me a VP2, but I have ecowitt T+H+soil sensors too on a second weewx instance).
I have nothing against weewx - using it myself
but still MB is imho easier to handle

If I look at all the issues arising around the belchertown skin and the deep system knowledge you need to have to sort them out ...
That's for the experts ...

With MB you normally don't need that - that doesn't make weewx worse, only less user friendly in setting up for non-IT adepts.

Not everybody is a bit and byte "nerd" as you are - no offense meant - on the contrary
But I can't offer the belchertown skin to someone who just wants to launch a program and see the effects - just a "simple" user.
And for whom the data displayed when coming from the sensors are live in their understanding.

It's a matter of target group.
And not everybody visiting this forum is an IT expert.

"The readings are only updated periodically when the station emits data (or is queried)." - Really .... #-o - thanks for telling me  8-)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 03:21:21 PM by Gyvate »