Author Topic: Task Manager  (Read 10143 times)

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
Task Manager
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:56:43 PM »
I've tried to use task manager in Windows XP to end VWS when it freezes, but it doesn't work.  The icon stays in the taskbar, and VWS just sits there in the process window. It won't close. So I am forced to restart the computer. Does anybody know of any tricks to shut down the VWS process other than using the task manager?
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
Re: Task Manager
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 08:30:44 PM »
If I recall correctly, there was a post in the VirtualVP section that discussed the problems with the number of processes that were spawned by VWS.

Could be that you have to kill multiple processes to completely stop VWS, and... I'll bet they have weird names that don't look obvious...

Just a thought, since I don't have or run VWS...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »
Sometimes it won't work for me either and have to reboot myself. And if I do get it to close out then I will get a com port failure after I restart. So in most cases to clear the problem a reboot is required. It's very strange but once everything is back up after the reboot then all seems well. Kind of a pain but I guess that's the only work around for now.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »
Thanks Marc, Chris, guess I'll have to live with it for now :|
Ann-Marie

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 11:14:36 PM »
I'd replaced my MS task manager with Process Explorer by SysInternals (They've been bought out by M$, but the software is still available).

I have it substitute for Task Manager and leave it running in the system tray .. will pop up even with 100%cpu and you can easily find and kill processes.  Provides a nice running graph in the system tray for CPU and I/O activity too.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/ProcessExplorer.mspx

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:42:18 AM »
Thank-you, Ken, I'll check it out :)
Ann-Marie

Offline DundeeWeather

• http://wx.dundeeweather.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:41:10 AM »
You can also try a neat little tool called "Kill.exe"  

http://www.mattkruse.com/utilities/

Download kill.exe + tlist.exe and put them either in system32 or a dir of your choice.  If you choose a dir that isn't in your path you'll want to add the new dir to your path.

Once you get things downloaded and "installed" (there's no installing) you simply open a command prompt and type Kill -F PID or "process name".  For example you would type something like this to kill VWS:

C:>kill -F vws.exe

You can use tlist.exe to get a list of the process names and their ID's (PID)

Hope that made sense
Greg
Greg - N2WAI - Dundee, Michigan --- Davis Wireless VP2, VWS 13.00 p20 --- WinXP Pro-SP2

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:46:44 AM »
Greg, that sounds great as well, I'll try it too, thanks everybody!
Ann-Marie

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »
Hmmm, I use VirtualVP along with StartWatch (from the same developer) to monitor VWS. If VWS freezes, crashes, uses too much memory or CPU usage, StartWatch will automatically stop all of the associated VWS processes and then restart it without you having to do anything. Haven't had a VWS problem since I started using StartWatch several months ago.

Go to www.softwx.com to see the offerings available. I highly recommend all of Steve's software! It's well worth the small investment.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 01:16:45 PM »
Good idea, Don. I'm already using Virtual VP and VPLive, so I may just go ahead and use StartWatch!
Ann-Marie

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »
I have a problem:  I have started using StartWatch, and VWS hangs or crashes, and has to be restarted several times a day.  I have VWS, Weather Display, and my datalogger set to archive data at five minute intervals. Under my Weather Underground settings I have the setting,"Upload Archive Data", checked.So when VWS has to be restarted, it uploads the archive data to Wundergound again. This is happening several times a day. Sometimes VWS will hang or crash while it is uploading the data.  When I uncheck the upload archive data setting, VWS settles down and runs without hanging. What can I do to prevent this problem?
Ann-Marie

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 08:16:19 PM »
Today for the first time in a long time Windows detected a VWS cvirte.dll error at the 2:00pm downloads and uploads (metar and Weather Underground), then put up the error box VWS needs to close.  Until I closed that error box Windows would not let StartWatch restart it.  Last time I had repeat cvirte errors I had to do a fresh install from scratch of VWS.  I really do not want to do that again unless I absolutely have to.   #-o

The only possibility for an outside cause I've came up with so far is Windows Defender might have been trying to download a definition update at the same time.  But it's worked fine in the past doing that.  I show it updated at the same time two days ago with no problems.

Sorry Ann-Marie, no answer here but I can identify with your frustration.      :wink:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 08:28:43 PM »
Thanks Mark.  I've sent my StartWatch log.txt and alert.txt to Steve for him to examine.  I don't know if they'll show anything. It's ridiculous, VWS has been restarted, from what I can see, 14 times today so far.  Meanwhile, all my other weather programs chug along quietly with no problems  :?
Ann-Marie

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 12:15:16 PM »
So Steve said to adjust the program hang sensitivity slider to low, and that seems to have done the trick. Now onto another concern.  My server was having problems this morning, so VWS was hanging and StartWatch proceeded to close it down. That was half an hour ago, and I'm still waiting!  I know it's not StartWatch, and I've tried the the other programs mentioned here, but nothing helps VWS to close down any quicker, it's very stubborn :x
Ann-Marie