Author Topic: Storm safety  (Read 5163 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Storm safety
« on: June 20, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
This story is from Knoxville, TN:

Fire officials warn about lightning strikes indoors

Posted: June 18, 2009 10:01 PM CDT

By ANN KEIL
6 News Reporter

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- After a Union County teen was struck by lightning indoors during storms Thursday afternoon, the Knoxville Fire Department has some warnings for the public.

Knoxville Fire Department spokesman D.J. Corcoran says while the best protection from lightning is to go inside, you're not always safe.

Lightning can get inside a home through a direct strike, through the ground outside, or through wires or pipes that run in from the outside.

Once inside a home, lightning can travel through a number of different objects, then into your body.

"Stay away from any doors, windows or running water. Do not wash dishes or wash your hands," Corcoran says.

In fact, he says avoid running water for any purpose. Metal pipes and plumbing can conduct electricity if they're struck by lightning.

"Don't use a phone unless it is cordless. Don't use anything electrical, any appliances, hairdryers or drills. Don't work out in your shop," Corcoran says.

He also says you may want to unplug all major appliances to keep them from getting damaged.

Although the odds of getting struck by lightning are one in 260,000 he says it's better to be safe than sorry.

Keep in mind, lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm.

The teenager in Union County was struck by lightning around 2:30 Thursday afternoon at her home in Luttrell.

A spokesperson with the Union County Sheriff's Department says the teen had walked in her home through a front door, and just before she let go of the doorknob inside, the lightning hit.

An ambulance took the girl to the hospital as a precaution, and her family says she's already improving. In fact, she was walking around and talking after she was hit.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
Re: Storm safety
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 04:36:46 PM »
Happy to see them issue a release to warn people of the dangers of lightning.

However, the article contains a lot of inaccurate information. You'd think they could get the facts right.  ](*,)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »
I don't see any glaring inaccuracies.
Which do you speak of?

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 08:09:22 PM »
2 right off the bat:

1: Avoid running water. True, but not correct. Avoid ALL water and plumbing, water running or not.
2: Lightning can strike way further out then 10 miles beyond a t-storm.

Very important factors that are not 100% correct.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

blackjack52

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
Along w/ washing hands, don't go pee; unless in an approved gfi receptacle.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 10:04:12 AM »
I find it hard to believe that a doorknob in an average house would be a problem.  Maybe if it was on a steel door in a steel frame.

Most newer houses now have PVC pipe for both supply and drains which reduces risk from copper pipe and cast iron drain pipes.

I also find it impractical to expect people to unplug everything during a storm.  That could be every day in some areas.  Anybody have any experience with whole house surge suppressors or lightning arrestors?

Along w/ washing hands, don't go pee; unless in an approved gfi receptacle.

I try not to whizz into any kind of receptacle, GFI or otherwise.   :shock: :twisted:

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:07:39 AM by WeatherHost »

Offline LarsWX

• Ewing Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
I always turn off and unplug radio equipment and unhook computers for a t-storm, it doesnt take a direct hit to damage or destroy electrical devices. Also never rely on surge protectors for lightning protection, they are mainly used for "normal" power line spikes. Be safe.... ;)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »
 Anybody have any experience with whole house surge suppressors or lightning arrestors?

I have used those supressors that go across both phases of the mains on a few radio sites and have for the most part had good luck. Worst so far ( Knock on wood) was loosing a preamp from a hot the next site over and I suspect that was a transient from the antenna .

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »
   There are surge protectors that go on the houses fuse panel.  Last time I heard they cost around $500 but probably more today.  I have heard both good and bad.
 I am no expert for sure, but it seems to me that for $500 or more it would be a worthwhile expenditure.  I heard of a person in the neighborhood whose house was hit.  All the major appliances were fried along with a whole bunch of other things and it all ran up to $10,000!  Ouch :!: I am planning on putting one in my house as soon as I can.  I still would like to hear from others who have had experience with them.
  Mark

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 11:59:36 PM »
I see references to lightning and plumbing, comparing PVC to metal. True PVC is safer, but this only applies to the drainage lines. The supply lines, being full of water, provide a ground path and are just as much a risk.
I've experienced a lightning strike through a window to the kitchen stainless steel sink. The sink had all PVC (in and out) plumbing connecting it.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 05:56:49 AM »
   There are surge protectors that go on the houses fuse panel.  Last time I heard they cost around $500 but probably more today.  I have heard both good and bad.
 I am no expert for sure, but it seems to me that for $500 or more it would be a worthwhile expenditure.  I heard of a person in the neighborhood whose house was hit.  All the major appliances were fried along with a whole bunch of other things and it all ran up to $10,000!  Ouch :!: I am planning on putting one in my house as soon as I can.  I still would like to hear from others who have had experience with them.
  Mark

We have a whole-house sure protector that hooks up to our meter.  It is provided by our electricity provider for $5/month.  It is supposed to protect appliances.  We've not lost any, so I suppose it's working.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 12:44:43 PM »
Bottom line.
Lightning is just plain nasty.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 01:29:04 PM »
I posted about lightning detector sites on another post.

But-
 I was having this same conversation with the pool director at New Hope, MN

He wanted a site that showed lighting strikes in the area. I found a few and bookmarked them for him.
Of course, he is more concerned with lightning than anything else. He must evacuate the pool, pool deck and sitting areas.
It is a lawsuit waiting to happen if someone is not watching out.

I showed him the lightning detectors that could be purchased.  He said the city probably would not pay for it.

Again- here is the stupidity of people.   Why would you compromise safety for money?  If I know strikes are 30 miles away, there is time to plan- that is better than listening and watching the sky and waiting for something to happen.  Never wait till the last minute with severe weather.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 02:38:48 PM »
They are correct in not buying a boltek for this application.  If anything it might open them up to a lawsuit, since Boltek themselves say

"NOTE: Boltek lightning detectors are not intended for use as lightning-safety warning devices.
See Boltek Terms and Conditions of Sale."

Plus you need someone monitoring the software, or checking the sites contantly....

So if they town does not want to spend $600, then they really wont want to spend what they should be spending, which is around $6000.00+ for something like this. 

http://thorguard.com/prod5.asp

Here is a link from Ann Arbor.  Seems they have Thor Guard products at many of their pools and golf courses.
http://www.a2gov.org/GOVERNMENT/SAFETYSERVICES/EMERGENCYMANAGEMENT/SIRENWARNINGSYSTEM/Pages/LightningDetectionSystem.aspx

Personally I think this is overkill for a community swimming pool, if you hear thunder or see dark clouds approaching, get out of the pool and get under appropriate cover/inside. 

All golf courses should have a system like this, as the golfers are spread out over several thousands of yards, and you do require ample warning to allow time for everyone to get back to the clubhouse.

Andrew

I posted about lightning detector sites on another post.

But-
 I was having this same conversation with the pool director at New Hope, MN

He wanted a site that showed lighting strikes in the area. I found a few and bookmarked them for him.
Of course, he is more concerned with lightning than anything else. He must evacuate the pool, pool deck and sitting areas.
It is a lawsuit waiting to happen if someone is not watching out.

I showed him the lightning detectors that could be purchased.  He said the city probably would not pay for it.

Again- here is the stupidity of people.   Why would you compromise safety for money?  If I know strikes are 30 miles away, there is time to plan- that is better than listening and watching the sky and waiting for something to happen.  Never wait till the last minute with severe weather.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

anything