Author Topic: Atlas Fan Replacement  (Read 1627 times)

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Atlas Fan Replacement
« on: September 02, 2022, 04:44:19 PM »
My Atlas will be four years old next month and I suspect my fan has stopped working. Daytime temperatures are 2 degrees above what they should be. I haven’t taken it down yet to check because it a pain to do so. Probably won’t be taking it down until October to change its batteries and get it ready for winter.

Doesn’t look like the fan is easily replaced according to George’s (“nincehelser”) teardown pictures. https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35220.msg360462#msg360462

Has anyone replaced the fan in an Atlas? 

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: Atlas Fan Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 01:08:08 PM »
The fan is actually fairly easy to replace, takes a few minutes:
1. Squeeze the front and back ends of the bottom plastic cover on the temperature vent stack to remove.
2. Remove the three long screws form the bottom of the temperature vent stack, use a standard philips screwdriver, not a mini- you will need the torque!
3. The 4 layers of the vent stack will now be loose, take the first three off exposing the fan layer.
4. Remove the battery compartment cover, then remove the four mini screws holding the battery compartment/electronics core in place.
5. Turn the core around and you will note all fo the wires from the separate sensing components are routed and plugged into the backside of the battery compartment. Find the wire labeled "FAN" and carefully unplug it.
6. Note the wire routing while you remove the wire from the housing, route the new fan unit the same way.

*7. Take a few moments to clean out the rain gauge bucket and internals for best performance ;)

(follow the instructions backwards to reassemble)

Offline lwman

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 07:52:53 PM »
Where did you get the fan/motor? I didn't see any listed with Acurite?

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 08:23:49 PM »
Thanks for the detailed instructions! Sounds like it can be done then without too much problems. No soldering, nice!

I won't know until I take the Atlas down on which fan to get for replacement. I'll post here if I find and decide to get an replacement fan.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 04:13:20 PM »
I got my Atlas down today and the fan is definitely bad and needs to be replaced. Do you have a link for an Atlas replacement fan!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 04:20:45 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline lwman

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2022, 05:24:48 PM »
The fan is actually fairly easy to replace, takes a few minutes:
1. Squeeze the front and back ends of the bottom plastic cover on the temperature vent stack to remove.
2. Remove the three long screws form the bottom of the temperature vent stack, use a standard philips screwdriver, not a mini- you will need the torque!
3. The 4 layers of the vent stack will now be loose, take the first three off exposing the fan layer.
4. Remove the battery compartment cover, then remove the four mini screws holding the battery compartment/electronics core in place.
5. Turn the core around and you will note all fo the wires from the separate sensing components are routed and plugged into the backside of the battery compartment. Find the wire labeled "FAN" and carefully unplug it.
6. Note the wire routing while you remove the wire from the housing, route the new fan unit the same way.

*7. Take a few moments to clean out the rain gauge bucket and internals for best performance ;)

(follow the instructions backwards to reassemble)
You left out the most important point? Where does the replacement fan come from.
I was able to repair my unit by soldering a wire onto the fan's circuit board that it broke off of.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 06:43:06 PM »
Now I'm starting to think about how many Atlas sensors have been thrown away because there is no fan motor available as a replacement? The 5 in 1 at least has the fan section for sale at Acurite. Most people would not attempt to disassemble the Atlas!

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 08:29:56 AM »
Well, I'm about ready to give up on the old Atlas and start looking into a replacement. Since it no longer works with Weather Underground anyway, and I have other sensors that I can get readings from (except wind). But I will miss the display.

If I want more information I can always view my neighbors weather station on WU which is only 50 yards from my Atlas.

I might put it back together this weekend and put it back up with the bad fan and run it with the bad daytime temps!

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 09:48:36 AM »
Maybe you can improve the radiation shield enough to use it without a fan? Maybe some cardboard or thin plywood to enlarge it.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 10:13:11 AM »
Maybe you can improve the radiation shield enough to use it without a fan? Maybe some cardboard or thin plywood to enlarge it.
Great suggestion!!! I wasn't thinking of trying to do that until you've suggested it.

That jogged my memory about one of your post. I'll give it a try.
So I put a piece of radiant barrier (stuff you use under roofs) over the Atlas sun shield, and now it has dropped closer in line to the wing sensor. I could layer the stuff around the existing sensor shield I suppose... to better keep the light out.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 09:13:30 AM »
I couldn’t find a replacement fan for the Atlas.

I missed not having data for my two working displays. So, I put it back together and put it back up with the bad fan and without any modifications to the solar shield.

I’m going to have to live with the bad daytime temperatures. Everything else is still working well … except reporting to WU (Still broken).

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

anything