Author Topic: Antarctica is on fire massive temperature anomaly engulfs half of the continent!  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Kenshiro

Yesterday I noticed that Antarctica has been engulfed by a massive positive temperature anomaly.

I checked the stratosphere but couldn't find anything, my best guess is a volcano named Mt Erebus is at the origin of this heat wave.

The jet stream (250 mb) enters Antarctica at that location but I wonder is it the cause or effect?

Searched for real time data of Mt Erebus but couldn't find any so I'm in the dark about that.

I would love to hear some comments about this extraordinary weather event.
Feel free to share links about Mt Erebus: like I said I couldn't find any real time data using google...

Made a video about this topic:

https://youtu.be/OuqFRDDxZPA

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
So what are the actual facts? Headlines can be very deceiving, heat wave, +5.0 °C is obviously a relative change, but relative to what? It's like saying the temperature today is -55 °C, yesterday it was -60 °C but what does that actually mean? Still way too dam cold but lets not be selective with the difference which does occur for many many reasons     

Offline Kenshiro

So what are the actual facts? Headlines can be very deceiving, heat wave, +5.0 °C is obviously a relative change, but relative to what? It's like saying the temperature today is -55 °C, yesterday it was -60 °C but what does that actually mean? Still way too dam cold but lets not be selective with the difference which does occur for many many reasons   

No no 5C on average in the affected area more than 40C above normal!!!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster

Then you need to putting the your facts forward

Offline Kenshiro

Then you need to putting the your facts forward

Yes I recon it is confusng the way I have described it in that picture.

Offline Kenshiro

I forgot to mention another possibilty: methane release!
There seems to be discovery made a year ago about a methane leak near the active volcano.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jul/22/first-active-leak-of-sea-bed-methane-discovered-in-antarctica

Who knows it could have been caused by a major methane leak.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Seems like the experts are stump too!

Hot poles: Antarctica, Arctic 70 and 50 degrees above normal
https://www.twincities.com/2022/03/19/hot-poles-antarctica-arctic-70-and-50-degrees-above-normal/

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Kenshiro

Happening on both poles could there be a connection?