Author Topic: WH57 sudden increase in false strikes  (Read 175 times)

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
WH57 sudden increase in false strikes
« on: January 17, 2022, 11:53:37 AM »
Over the past week or so I've noticed I am getting quite a lot of false strikes on my WH57. I've tried lowering the sensitivity which seems to make things worse. I checked the batteries but the voltage is fine and the battery reports as good when queried. Up until about 2 or 3 weeks ago all seemed fine and when I did get strikes reported I could see them on Blitzortung. Today I've had 12 strikes after lowering the sensitivity to it lowest, the sensor is in the same place it has always been. Only new thing electrical in the house is my new full fibre modem which also has my digital phone service on it with digital phones which are I believe connected using DECT and not IP, the modem is about 8 feet from the sensor.

Anyone any ideas please?

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
Re: WH57 sudden increase in false strikes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2022, 12:03:30 PM »
I wonder if someone else nearby received a holiday gift, that somehow triggers the sensor. Yeah , I know, terribly helpful.

I was just thinking of the timing. I have yet to find anything to falsely trigger mine, but I'm sure something exists that will.

Are the strikes random in timing?

Ambient:WS-2000,PM 2.5 x2,WH31B x2,WH40E,WH31P
EcoWitt: GW1100,GW1000 x4,WH31 x2,WH57,WH51 x12, WH40,WH5360B,WN34S,WittBoy
Web Sites: WU, Ambient Weather , Ecowitt.net , Ecowitt.net (TEST)
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 12:08:49 PM »
Yes random timings, just had another at 16:56! Showing 14.9 miles. They always seem to show at quite a distance, never very close by.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
    • The weather in Jefferson, GA
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 12:09:46 PM »
I'm with Rover1822.  Some new electronic feedback is hitting the sensor.  I had to remove a WH57 from my friend's river house.  Even on the lowest sensitivity, I could not get far enough away from electronics.  I think either a nearby freezer or heat pump kept triggering it(my known good wh57and his new wh57).

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 12:12:03 PM »
I have to suspect my new fibre modem with digital phones, I only went full fibre on 15th December. I'll try moving it elsewhere not within a8 feet of the modem.

Stuart

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 06:26:30 AM »
So the first thing I did was to remove the batteries and then set the dip switches to default, then replaced batteries. So far now 12+ hours with no false strikes! Lets hope I've not jinxed it by saying that!

Stuart

anything