Author Topic: Looking for a wifi only wired outdoor camera for Timelapse  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
Looking for a wifi only wired outdoor camera for Timelapse
« on: January 08, 2022, 09:54:55 PM »
Hello,

I have been having a difficult time finding an outdoor webcam that is wifi and is wired via a power cable to a wall the records Timelapse and will allow me to share to a website. I am not interested in wiring network cables through my house so that’s not an option for me. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on a non expensive camera that can do this things please share here.

Regards, Adrian
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:12:47 PM by Adrian23 »

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Re: Looking for a wifi only wired outdoor camera for Timelapse
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 12:15:54 AM »
Reolink, they even have them that create their own timelapse, you will have to move it to the website on your own mind, or you could used a 3rd party to run the camera and have it create the timelapse and have that auto-upload, take a look at the rlc-511wa, its 5mp with 5x optical zoom too and timelapse, its even 5ghz wifi (and 2.4) or go for a cheaper model and like i said, use it with a 3rd party software that can create timelapse, btw, Reolink have great low light capability even without the IR's on, the image below is my E1 pro 3mp, the light is coming from a 9w wifi bulb in the wall set to 20% power, no IR's on due to double glazing. you can just see a star shining through top middle. I sent that camera back and got the E1 Zoom 3x optical and 5mp

This next image is the E1 zoom at 5mp, the above looks brighter, that's only because i had the Dynamic backlight up high and set the exposure to noise reduction, which can be seen as its not as crisp

All in all, i am happy with the camera, its bandwidth hungry mind so its mostly set to 3mp but in te image above i put it back to 5mp just for that screenshot, don't go for such a camera if your broadband is slower than 20mb upload and test the wifi strength outside where you want to place it, use a wifi analyzer app, check both bands, 5ghz and 2.4ghz, if its lower than -70, you're gonna struggle with a 5mp, but ya can lower that to a 3 like me and you can also lower the framerate and bitrate to help. OK, I'm waffling now, gonna go back to bed, just thought i would give you my take on the experience i have with Reolinks :)

Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 05:05:53 AM »
Reolink, they even have them that create their own timelapse, you will have to move it to the website on your own mind, or you could used a 3rd party to run the camera and have it create the timelapse and have that auto-upload, take a look at the rlc-511wa, its 5mp with 5x optical zoom too and timelapse, its even 5ghz wifi (and 2.4) or go for a cheaper model and like i said, use it with a 3rd party software that can create timelapse, btw, Reolink have great low light capability even without the IR's on, the image below is my E1 pro 3mp, the light is coming from a 9w wifi bulb in the wall set to 20% power, no IR's on due to double glazing. you can just see a star shining through top middle. I sent that camera back and got the E1 Zoom 3x optical and 5mp

This next image is the E1 zoom at 5mp, the above looks brighter, that's only because i had the Dynamic backlight up high and set the exposure to noise reduction, which can be seen as its not as crisp

All in all, i am happy with the camera, its bandwidth hungry mind so its mostly set to 3mp but in te image above i put it back to 5mp just for that screenshot, don't go for such a camera if your broadband is slower than 20mb upload and test the wifi strength outside where you want to place it, use a wifi analyzer app, check both bands, 5ghz and 2.4ghz, if its lower than -70, you're gonna struggle with a 5mp, but ya can lower that to a 3 like me and you can also lower the framerate and bitrate to help. OK, I'm waffling now, gonna go back to bed, just thought i would give you my take on the experience i have with Reolinks :)

Hi, thanks so much for your post! Yea I had seen this camera as one of my options but can you recommend a third party software to create the Timelapse? I use a meteobridge at home to share my data to cwop etc just thought I’d mention. Also soon going to be using a raspberry pi for my own site. Just looking for some suggestions on the Timelapse software. So the camera you suggested won’t create the Timelapse on its own? I have the 1000gb plan at home from AT&T and this is my router which has been great. Another question is how do I set it up to record 24/7 without an NVR? Just add the biggest SD card and have it record there 24/7 and have it override every 4-5 days? Keeping Timelapse and photos in mind Can you provide some other reolink cameras with good day and night quality but a bit cheaper? Is there a reason you picked out that one? I found this one but is it any good?

Limited-time deal: REOLINK 5MP(2560x1920@30FPS) PoE Camera Outdoor/Indoor IP Security Video Surveillance, IP66 Waterproof, IR Night Vision, Motion Detection, Work with Smart Home, Up to 128GB Micro SD Card, RLC-410-5MP https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5JWK4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dl_TD4HJH6RYJ1W89B8XXZP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

My router at home and speed.

NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream Tri-band AX8 WiFi 6 Router (RAX70) – AX6600 Wireless Speed (Up to 6.6 Gbps) | Coverage up to 2,500 sq. ft. and up to 40 devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KTWXCZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_YS395D9XXAJTD1KD7XNQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Just thought I’d mention these things to help to with the Timelapse software.

Forgot to mention i am using this for mounting which has worked quite well for my ring cameras and you can also use reolink but the back has to be square  I think.

Wasserstein Gutter Mount Compatible with Ring, Arlo, Blink, Reolink Cams & Compatible Solar Panels (2 Pack, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N66DBPK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_RCNHNSHK8MQWV1SJTTA5?psc=1
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:54:01 AM by Adrian23 »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 05:57:31 AM »
You said you wanted a wifi cam with AC power. The link you posted is a POE cam.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 08:10:03 AM »
You said you wanted a wifi cam with AC power. The link you posted is a POE cam.

Yea my apologies, I meant to post this one. Not sure if Timelapse or features are the same but it’s a bit cheaper then the one suggested. Wifi reviews seem iffy on Amazon. Not sure.

Any suggestions on Timelapse software and how would this camera get setup to a website?

Reolink Outdoor Security Camera, 5MP HD Dual Band WiFi Camera for Home Security - 2.4Ghz/5Ghz, Smart Person/Vehicle Alerts, Motion Detection, Night Vision, IP66 Waterproof, RLC-510WA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PYN7TS2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KY79QDCXWHD8FYBNERBV

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 12:05:41 PM »
Hi, I got ya pm, so you have the camera running OK in the app and you want to basically post a video, doe sit have to be a timelapse? I know weather display software has a webcam capture app in it and it can also take ip cameras and I know it can take reolink cameras. It can create all day videos, yesterday video and time stamped videos. 1st of all you need to find the url to the Snapshot, take a look here, it explains it for you.

There are a few ways to create a timelapse, I don't know what's website software you're using but I know the Meteotemplate has a timelapse creation, take a look at mine here and here's the video that weather display creates, not my reolink mind, but it gives you an idea what weather display can do for weather cameras. Other members will probably have better ideas, but thats what I have
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 01:34:15 PM »
Hi, I got ya pm, so you have the camera running OK in the app and you want to basically post a video, doe sit have to be a timelapse? I know weather display software has a webcam capture app in it and it can also take ip cameras and I know it can take reolink cameras. It can create all day videos, yesterday video and time stamped videos. 1st of all you need to find the url to the Snapshot, take a look here, it explains it for you.

There are a few ways to create a timelapse, I don't know what's website software you're using but I know the Meteotemplate has a timelapse creation, take a look at mine here and here's the video that weather display creates, not my reolink mind, but it gives you an idea what weather display can do for weather cameras. Other members will probably have better ideas, but thats what I have

Well i would like to have the ability to do time lapse but to the website just the live video or pictures. Which of the reolink cams i posted here are ok to do that?

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 01:49:53 PM »
I believe most of the reolink can, the last link ya posted is certainly good enough
Kind regards
Bashy

anything