Author Topic: Approximate Price Of New System  (Read 2202 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Approximate Price Of New System
« on: February 22, 2022, 09:21:27 PM »
I have been thinking of looking into a system for a while now. I have years of building experience being a two-way radio tech for many years and have the SMD equipment on hand so the million-dollar question what is the cost of the current system? Probably be something I would have to budget for being retired and on a fixed income but curiosity did a number on the cat so I suppose I'm no different  :-P

Thanks!

Wt

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Approximate Price Of New System
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 11:38:52 PM »
The system comes as completed boards, except for perhaps a few connectors that need to be installed... I'm not sure how the latest release is configured for those external parts and costs. There are some options, which can affect  your cost. Costs would also include an outrageous shipping fee from Germany, courtesy of the EU. Typically (guess: $250-$300 US  kit + shipping).

You must fabricate your own broadband H field magnetic loops at least two (or three), ( here is a design I've innovated and use on two of my receivers) ... and an E field probe...a 10-20cm piece of 14-16awg bare copper wire will work fine. You'll need shielded RG45 cable from controller to H preamp, , and  75 ohm  F connector cable (at least double shielded, braided, copper) coax cable for the E probe assembly, which must be mounted outside, a few meters above ground, away from buildings, trees, electrical noise, etc.

The H fields can work  about anywhere away from near-field noise of either M or E type. E probe is virtually immune to M noise, but extremely sensitive for electric.

You must obtain your regulated 5v USB supply locally.  Do NOT depend on a 'charger'... it should be of good quality, steady, and QUIET electrically. Recommend at least 2-3 amp / 15 watt minimum, (System doesn't draw that much, but the extra capacity may keep mains spikes, glitches, from resetting the system, etc) ...  however spending over $20-$25 for one is outrageous, just check the specs.

You must also obtain an active GPS antenna locally, again probably $20-$25.
So it's not all about initial kit cost.

It's not plug and play, and it's not a 'warning' system, or a 'toy' -- it's part of a global network for locating. Your system WON'T work alone (except for flashing lights and buzzers) unless it is connected to the network, and must 'detect' in congress with at least 8-15 other receivers detecting any impulse to actually register a stroke within the network.

The waiting list is outrageous, and some global areas of low coverage are priortized.

If you'd like to observe my systems in operation, assuming I'm not in one of my interference shutdown modes, you can spend some time at https://frankfortweather.us/fwxBLPublic/index.html . NOTE you must accept cookies, and some ad-blockers may interfere with some data, ... there are several 'popup' links with some other data, information and explanations....
If you think you still want a kit, go to https://www.blitzortung.org/en/cover_your_area.php and send your info on the form about halfway down the page.Once you've done that, wait a couple of weeks, if no reponse then perhaps contact me through my profile here....
Mike
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 11:46:03 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2022, 12:19:50 AM »
Thanks for the reply and all the great information. We have been lucky here since I moved here we've had hundreds of power outages but thankfully none related to lightning. So I guess you could say my area is not covered but it's not really jumpin' with activity so far either.

I'm seriously considering getting on the waitlist mainly so I might provide a useful service to someone else. That's the whole idea I'm running a website now,that and I love the hobby  :-P

Thanks for taking the time to explain the ins and outs of the system!

Wayne

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 12:34:08 AM »
Like a lot of 'citizen science' 'networks', we often don't know who's using the data... I know that the developer has granted many 'non-participant' research bodies access to 'raw data', and I also know of several agencies whom I can't or won't mention that evaluate the data in some form. Some even operate stations, but sort of 'hide' their identity. Blitzortung has to be classed as 'hobbyist'  for many (international) reasons, so it can never have the 'credibility' of the big boys... partly because there is some lack of standardization across all the various antenna types folk use, and a percentage never really 'optimize' there stations... but as a source of 'reference' and 'ground truth', it can be very useful.
Plus it's fun as hell...

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 09:55:59 AM »
 :cry: If you've been following world events, please note, and follow this thread:
https://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=3159&pid=24447#pid24447
"There are currently extreme bottlenecks in procuring the components for the blue system. We will therefore not be able to offer circuit boards for System Blue again until the third quarter of this year at the earliest."
Mike
02/28/2022
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:00:41 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »