Author Topic: What weather station can I buy with €250 / $280  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Zarb

What weather station can I buy with €250 / $280
« on: December 26, 2021, 07:39:15 AM »
Hello you all,

Now, arriving at Christmas, I did have a surprise: I received a family voucher of €249.99 (really) for a weather station.

I wanted a station that allows the following measurements:

- Wind speed and gust recording without danger of it breaking into pieces;
- Wind direction;
- Barometric pressure with trend indication;
- Humidity with possible sensors of at least 3 (indoor and outdoor);
- Temperature (with good RS), with possible sensors of at least 3 (indoor and outdoor);
- Dew point;
- Rainfall and with indication of rain/rate;
- Thermal sensation / wind chill;
- Forecasts with some reliability, namely regarding more extreme events or frost warnings;
- data is automatically shared online (Wunderground, for example) and accessible from the mobile phone;
- have software that can record the data (I don't know if online sharing with Wunderground allows this, for example, to check aggregated data from 20 months earlier or the temp. on a given day 30 months ago), even if this data have to be downloaded to a computer (or that downloading does not have to imply always having a computer turned on);
- any kind of software can be compatible with Mac (I haven't used Windows for over 20 years and I don't intend to return :);

And if possible:
- Soil moisture sensor (the most important of these extras);
- Evotranspiration (okay, it's handy for my future “cultures” but I believe that this type of sensor already goes to much higher price stations;
- UV radiation;
- TFT or color screen is not necessary, but I have already noticed that the most complete stations currently have these attributes;
- and for last, if possible, to have the station fully autonomous, with energy supplied by a solar panel, all the better. But if this forces the price to rise significantly, then better not.

There is potential interest in this station being placed, in the future, on a place that I have no electrical connection, so if it is possible to share data via radio or via web connection via a router with solar energy, even better;

Thanks for all opinions and sorry my english (i'm portuguese).

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
Re: What weather station can I buy with €250 / $280
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
I would say an ecowitt station ( https://ecowittweather.com/ https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/homePage ) would be ok ( in that price range )
- different outdoor sensor to choose from ( ws65/ws67, ws68, ws80, ws40 )
- different consoles ( tft/lcd )
- gateway gw1000/gw1100 ( necessary if no console used )
- lot of additional sensors ( T/H, soil moisture, soil temperature, leaf wetness... )
Consoles and gateways can send data to online services ( as WU and ecowitt.net ) and even to 'personal pages'.

I would also suggest meteotemplate as online software, it can do all you requested, and even evapotranspiration calculation with the Penman-Monteith method ( you can see an example in my signature )

There are also european distributors ( froggit for example )

You can find further information in the ecowitt subforum

P.S.
Great support from ecowitt
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:05:17 AM by davidefa »

Offline Zarb

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 07:34:48 PM »
I would say an ecowitt station ( https://ecowittweather.com/ https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/homePage ) would be ok

- lot of additional sensors ( T/H, soil moisture, soil temperature, leaf wetness... )
Consoles and gateways can send data to online services ( as WU and ecowitt.net ) and even to 'personal pages'.

I would also suggest meteotemplate as online software, it can do all you requested, and even evapotranspiration calculation with the Penman-Monteith method ( you can see an example in my signature )

Does Ecowitt and Froggit have the same WS? Different brands to the same equipment? Can i buy a Froggit WS and add one Ecowitt WN34S Soil Temperature Sensor (same link frequency 868)?

I don't think I will need a gateway as I want to have a console and even LCD consoles already communicate with websites.

Isn't it better, normally, to buy a complete station than buy it in pieces? It doesn't get much more expensive to buy each sensor separately.

This does not exclude the possibility that there may be some sensors (soil moisture sensor, UV radiation, etc.) that may not be included in the station and can be purchased later, as long as they are compatible with the station.

For example in ecowitt:

WS69 - $ 140,00;
Console HP2550_C Plus with Indoor temp/humidity/pressure 3-in-1 sensor - $140,00
If HP2551 WiFi Weather Station Large TFT Screen with Solar Powered 7-in-1 Outdoor Sensor is also $280,00
2 * WH32 Indoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor - (2 x $18) = $32
WN34S Soil Temperature Sensor - $40

Total = 280+32+40= $352 (€ 310)

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 04:40:34 AM »
This is a must-read post about ecowitt/fine offset sensor and console naming
In short you can find the same sensors/console under different names/brands ( as usual ) these are the same sensor/console and are interoperable* when choosing the same frequency ( as you noted )
I can't find a rationale for ecowitt price policy: generally their kit price is cheaper but sometimes is not ( froggit kit prices are generally cheaper than single units).
Some of their prices are 'unbelievable', for example the ws69 sensore alone is more expensive than the froggit complete station ( ws65 + router + indoor sensor )
I have this same station ( waldbeck halley ) available on amazon for 90 euro ( then added a few sensors buying directly from ecowitt ).

If buying directly from ecowitt you have to consider the import duties.

P.S.
Froggit sells products from different manufacturers
A few ecowitt consoles ( see wh3000se, wh4000se... ) are not expandable, as shown on the must-read post

NOTE *
Ambient weather products are not fully interoperable ( these are 915MHz for the american market ), but this is not a problem for us in europe.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 04:48:00 AM by davidefa »

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 04:49:30 AM »
I would say an ecowitt station ( https://ecowittweather.com/ https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/homePage ) would be ok

Does Ecowitt and Froggit have the same WS? Different brands to the same equipment? Can i buy a Froggit WS and add one Ecowitt WN34S Soil Temperature Sensor (same link frequency 868)?

I don't think I will need a gateway as I want to have a console and even LCD consoles already communicate with websites.

Isn't it better, normally, to buy a complete station than buy it in pieces? It doesn't get much more expensive to buy each sensor separately.

This does not exclude the possibility that there may be some sensors (soil moisture sensor, UV radiation, etc.) that may not be included in the station and can be purchased later, as long as they are compatible with the station.

For example in ecowitt:

WS69 - $ 140,00;
Console HP2550_C Plus with Indoor temp/humidity/pressure 3-in-1 sensor - $140,00
If HP2551 WiFi Weather Station Large TFT Screen with Solar Powered 7-in-1 Outdoor Sensor is also $280,00
2 * WH32 Indoor Temperature and Humidity Sensor - (2 x $18) = $32
WN34S Soil Temperature Sensor - $40

Total = 280+32+40= $352 (€ 310)
Froggit is a Germany-based reseller of ecowitt (strictly Fine offset, the actual manufacturers) products. As long as you get the same frequency (868MHz) they will all talk to each other
Note that Froggit does not sell the full range of ecowitt products

You can order direct from ecowitt in China, prices tend to be cheaper but they don't always have 868MHz kit in stock and you have to watch out for import duty and VAT.

I don't use a console, I use a gateway and then read the data off the internet from the ecowitt website using a PC, again there are other options using a raspberry Pi or an android tablet. I did this to save money on a console and use a PC that I already had.

Ecowitt allows you to stream your data to various weather services and there is logging software like CumulusMx or Weather Display that can also feed the services that ecowitt does not

I think most people start with a station and then add  sensors that they need as they need them. I started with a GW1002 and have since added the sensors in my signature below. It can work out cheaper especially if you order from China

As well as Froggit, Ecowitt now has an EU based Amazon store and there are other suppliers and resellers under various names so it's worth looking through the Fine Offset  forum and the comprehensive listings at the top of that forum that go though all the permutations

As long as you check there before you go to a reseller and make sure it is a Fine Offset clone at 868mhz you should be ok

There are plenty of Portuguese posters on these forums who I am sure will help

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 05:02:08 AM »
As a further complicating factor  :roll:, you also need to consider whether you want an all-in-one solution or a distributed network of sensors

There are pros and cons to both but the site you intend locating the station at will be the driver

All-in-one is simpler, especially for small or difficult sites at the expense of a compromise location, but a network enables you to place each sensor in an optimal position - if you have the space and clearances from obstructions etc

Offline Zarb

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »
This is a must-read post about ecowitt/fine offset sensor and console naming
In short you can find the same sensors/console under different names/brands ( as usual ) these are the same sensor/console and are interoperable* when choosing the same frequency ( as you noted )
I can't find a rationale for ecowitt price policy: generally their kit price is cheaper but sometimes is not ( froggit kit prices are generally cheaper than single units).
Some of their prices are 'unbelievable', for example the ws69 sensore alone is more expensive than the froggit complete station ( ws65 + router + indoor sensor )
I have this same station ( waldbeck halley ) available on amazon for 90 euro ( then added a few sensors buying directly from ecowitt ).

If buying directly from ecowitt you have to consider the import duties.

P.S.
Froggit sells products from different manufacturers
A few ecowitt consoles ( see wh3000se, wh4000se... ) are not expandable, as shown on the must-read post

NOTE *
Ambient weather products are not fully interoperable ( these are 915MHz for the american market ), but this is not a problem for us in europe.

No doubt I will read that post. I've seen that I have a lot of information there and if I had found it, I would have already answered some of the questions I put here.

As for ecowitt's pricing policy but the fact that it is interoperable with other Fine Offset clones allows me more freedom to upgrade the station. For example, I want to buy two or three indoor sensors (temp/humidity) and the soil moisture sensor but it won't be for now.

And then there is also the question of buying the sensors 7 in 1 or buying them separately but that I leave for the answer to the next post.  :eek:

The import issue is always a problem, especially considering the shame of customs clearance in Portugal. Anyway, I think the solution will always have to be to buy via online store based in the EU (amazon or other), although looking at the brand's general website I can see the description of each equipment better.

Offline Zarb

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2021, 01:15:09 PM »
Froggit is a Germany-based reseller of ecowitt (strictly Fine offset, the actual manufacturers) products. As long as you get the same frequency (868MHz) they will all talk to each other
Note that Froggit does not sell the full range of ecowitt products

I note that. But if i buy a Froggit station i can then buy other ecowitt sensors (soil for example) directly on the ecowitt.

You can order direct from ecowitt in China, prices tend to be cheaper but they don't always have 868MHz kit in stock and you have to watch out for import duty and VAT.

I don't use a console, I use a gateway and then read the data off the internet from the ecowitt website using a PC, again there are other options using a raspberry Pi or an android tablet. I did this to save money on a console and use a PC that I already had.

The console as a lot of advantages in use. Even considering buying a device (old ipad, for example), the price is not significantly different and having a console I end up not having to buy the gateway. Accounts done, the difference is not significant. The option of not having any equipment (console or ipad to read the site) is also not a solution, because in my day-to-day work I rarely have time to turn on my Mac and browse websites. If I didn't have the console or ipad (information in front of my eyes) I would end up not taking the station from everyday use.

Ecowitt allows you to stream your data to various weather services and there is logging software like CumulusMx or Weather Display that can also feed the services that ecowitt does not

But i think that can do the same with other brands Fine Offset clones. That is also possible with Froggit, for example, or i'm mistaken?

I think most people start with a station and then add sensors that they need as they need them. I started with a GW1002 and have since added the sensors in my signature below. It can work out cheaper especially if you order from China

As well as Froggit, Ecowitt now has an EU based Amazon store and there are other suppliers and resellers under various names so it's worth looking through the Fine Offset  forum and the comprehensive listings at the top of that forum that go though all the permutations.
As long as you check there before you go to a reseller and make sure it is a Fine Offset clone at 868mhz you should be ok

That's my idea too. I intend to purchase a more basic station (although with a console already prepared to receive information from more sensors) but have the freedom to buy sensors from other clone brands.

There are plenty of Portuguese posters on these forums who I am sure will help
To be honest, I asked for the same information on a Portuguese forum and... I only had two unrefining answers. I learned more here in 3 days than on that forum in 5 months...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 01:16:44 PM by Zarb »

Offline Zarb

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 01:22:38 PM »
As a further complicating factor  :roll:, you also need to consider whether you want an all-in-one solution or a distributed network of sensors

There are pros and cons to both but the site you intend locating the station at will be the driver

All-in-one is simpler, especially for small or difficult sites at the expense of a compromise location, but a network enables you to place each sensor in an optimal position - if you have the space and clearances from obstructions etc

That's one of the big questions I have. Integrated solutions (6 in 1 or 7 in 1) have the main problem of the wind sensor being close to the temperature sensor. Now, the reality is that the temperature sensor must be between 1 m and 2 m above the ground and the wind sensor within 5 m...

But to achieve this, for example at ecowitt, you would have to purchase the WS80 and WS68, for a total of $240, compared to $140 for the WS69.

Offline Zarb

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2021, 01:46:11 PM »
Considering what I've read and living up to the advice I've received, which I'm very grateful for and helped, I already have a more limited comparison. Note that some of the sensors (soil moisture, for example) will be purchased later but for now it will be more limited.
The solution of having separate sensors (wind and temperature), although ideal, makes the project more expensive at around 80 or 90 euros.

In this idea, the main competitors are Froggit HP1000SE PRO (black or white) and ecowitt HP2551. They are at the same price ($280 / €240).

The other solution would be to purchase these sensors separately but... For example, for €295, HP1000SE PRO Single Sensor Edition - HP1000SE PRO Display incl. indoor sensor + DP40 outdoor temperature/humidity + DP80 rain sensor + DP300 anemometer

The biggest problem is that the DP40 outdoor temperature/humidity temperature sensor doesn't have RS... so it doesn't feel quite right. This solution is already found in the HP1000SE PRO ULTRASONIC Wi-Fi Internet wireless weather station. However, here too, the sensors that, I think not wrong, should be separate (wind and temperature) are placed together.
Here the wind and temperature sensor (with RS) are together and it's only the rain sensor that is independent... so it doesn't seem like an optimal solution either. It will be difficult to get out of the Froggit HP1000SE PRO solution or another clone (possibly with a lower console, in LCD) and then with the addition of sensors.

In any case, during this week I will read that post very carefully and see what combinations I can up to €250 or slightly higher, although I am seeing it as practically impossible to have the sensors autonomized.

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 02:24:54 PM »
Considering what I've read and living up to the advice I've received, which I'm very grateful for and helped, I already have a more limited comparison. Note that some of the sensors (soil moisture, for example) will be purchased later but for now it will be more limited.
The solution of having separate sensors (wind and temperature), although ideal, makes the project more expensive at around 80 or 90 euros.

In this idea, the main competitors are Froggit HP1000SE PRO (black or white) and ecowitt HP2551. They are at the same price ($280 / €240).

The other solution would be to purchase these sensors separately but... For example, for €295, HP1000SE PRO Single Sensor Edition - HP1000SE PRO Display incl. indoor sensor + DP40 outdoor temperature/humidity + DP80 rain sensor + DP300 anemometer

The biggest problem is that the DP40 outdoor temperature/humidity temperature sensor doesn't have RS... so it doesn't feel quite right. This solution is already found in the HP1000SE PRO ULTRASONIC Wi-Fi Internet wireless weather station. However, here too, the sensors that, I think not wrong, should be separate (wind and temperature) are placed together.
Here the wind and temperature sensor (with RS) are together and it's only the rain sensor that is independent... so it doesn't seem like an optimal solution either. It will be difficult to get out of the Froggit HP1000SE PRO solution or another clone (possibly with a lower console, in LCD) and then with the addition of sensors.

In any case, during this week I will read that post very carefully and see what combinations I can up to €250 or slightly higher, although I am seeing it as practically impossible to have the sensors autonomized.

Sounds like you are making progress!

This is a stage we have all been through, everyone's use case is different. With my location  I was always going to use separate sensors and a gateway, as I didn't need a console

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2021, 03:12:13 PM »
But to achieve this, for example at ecowitt, you would have to purchase the WS80 and WS68, for a total of $240, compared to $140 for the WS69.
WS80 is ultrasonic wind+solar+temperature sensors ( it has a few 'youth' problems in my opinion, I mean some are happy with it, some others are not )
WS68 is cup wind+solar
If you want an independent temperature sensor you can buy a wh32 ( dp40 in froggit terminology ) and put it in a 'proper' radiation shield ( not the one sold by ecowitt ).
If you go with a WS80 or a WS68 you should need a WH40 too ( independent rain sensor ).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 03:15:18 PM by davidefa »

anything