Author Topic: Cam Conundrum.  (Read 4459 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Cam Conundrum.
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »
Another question for those in the know. Just bought this.
https://reolink.com/product/rlc-811a/
Hopefully it will be here in time for xmas. Putting it 35 feet up on my antenna tower right by my Davis anny. Also have the injector and outdoor rated RJ45 on it's way. One thing I was reading about was lightning. Being in Florida we get our share. The antenna tower has been hit before. Actually took out my Weather Monitor 2 years back. Would mounting the camera to a piece of wood and then attaching that to the tower help in a strike to the tower. Didn't want to use wood but other then a piece of thick plastic I don't know what to use. I guess if I could find a small piece cypress that would work too. Or, would that camera become toast regardless of what I use to attach it with.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2021, 05:29:22 PM »
I don't think it'll matter.  High voltage will jump great distances just to get to your mast.  A few inches of wood won't matter.  It's all luck if it gets fried or not.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline weatherman172

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2021, 08:41:59 PM »
I just got the Reolink RLC-410W.  Anyone know how to set it up to use the same file name every time it FTP's an image to my server?  I want it to overwrite the same file every time.  My old Foscam could do this, but not seeing any option in the Reolink set up.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2021, 10:39:30 PM »
Ocala, PaulMy:
Is the Reolink camera an IP, no need to send everything to a central server somewhere in the ether, type camera?
My Hikvisions had sort of a built in stream generator, all I needed to do to look at them was to use a browser to look at their IP address.

My one (lower res, very old) Axis is the same way, with perhaps a bit more guts built in with what appears to be a web site generator on board, with quite a lot of control, and again if the internet connection with the world were to drop, I can still see images and video from that camera, too.

I know the big selling point now for a lot of the cheapie cameras from the Big Box stores is to do motion analysis and allow you to check on the cat or back yard or whatever from anywhere in the world.  But you must send vid streams to some unknown location to get that to happen.

Just curious as to what he Reolink cameras can do.   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2021, 08:50:59 AM »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2021, 10:13:55 AM »
Ocala, PaulMy:Is the Reolink camera an IP, no need to send everything to a central server somewhere in the ether, type camera?

Hi Dale,
I got the Argus 2 and this model is WiFi.  I can view it from the Client program on PC or from the Relink App on phone or tablet. 
Haven't figured out yet how to get the motion or surveillance to work.  Then on to see what I can d with Sebecrec IPTimelapse.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2021, 12:58:26 PM »
Worachj and Paul:
Thanks for the info. I am going to try to update my cameras and toss all the cheaper stuff that requires the video to go through some proprietary server, and this looks like a reasonable option.

One Youtube discussion gave them a nice rating, while acknowledging if you want to spend megabucks you can get a better system, but this was good bang for the buck.

Thanks again.

(hey Worachj, I'm over east of you in Packer country in Eau Claire, WI)  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2021, 01:54:40 PM »
I want to change some of my cams too. I have old Foscams. One is going bad.
Need better connections to the wifi

Dale-I was in EC yesterday. Made a FAST trip to pick something up for christmas. Just one of those crazy things. At least I had time to do it.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2021, 01:57:03 PM »
I've only owned Reolink cameras and I've been happy with the three different versions I have (RLC-511w, RLC-810a & Argus 2). Their main use is to capture the critters wondering though my yard.

One thing I would be careful of is matching the capabilities that you want in a camera with the actual Reolink camera. They all act and do things a little bit different, from motion detection, app & Client options, image resolution, alerts, FTP etc. Everything can be very confusing so be careful what you purchase.

(Dale, grew up a Packer fan in a suburb of Milwaukee during the Lombardi era and went to school in La Crosse. I'm now rooting for the Vikings ... sigh. The Pack will win the super bowl this year if they have a healthy Rodgers).

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2021, 02:08:10 PM »
Maybe then the NFL will get their Rogers/Mahomes matchup

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
@worachj,
I got the Argus 2 to see who is at front door and to capture motion for replay, and it was a pretty good Black Friday deal.  I am having some support email with Reolink as I haven't seen any motion images nor playback. 

The instruction manual I downloaded shows some different settings to my Client application and I have tried all the settings I've been able to see.  Any quick suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2021, 02:33:09 PM »
Paul;

Getting Email to work can be tricky but I love getting the alert with a picture. I had it working on a hotmail account but switched to gmail because they allow more Emails to be sent. Hotmail had a 300 daily limit, and gmail is over 500.
You have to make changes to the hotmail & gmail account to allow third party usage.

This is a important step to get Gmail to work.
https://support.reolink.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003525833-How-to-Allow-Less-Secure-Apps-to-Access-Your-G-mail-Account

Which email account are you trying to use?

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2021, 02:46:32 PM »
Pictures of my Gmail account.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2021, 03:11:44 PM »
Thanks worachj,
Looks like I have some other issues... and maybe lack of basic understanding.
I get "Loading failed" when selecting Email and most of the other Settings menu options.  Initially I thought it was because I didn't have a SD card installed but I added it about a week ago and no change.
Will need to dig further.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2021, 03:26:59 PM »
Seems like your camera is disconnecting from your network. To save battery power the camera will disconnect after no activity.

Try having the camera in Live View and not Playback mode and verify that on the left side panel that your camera is still connected. If if shows as connected, then keep hitting the retry button.

Just saw that the left side panel shows your camera as disconnected.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »
I will get an 811 (I think) for Christmas to play with.

Let me be frustrated for a minute and people set me straight.  We had IP type cameras with either built in web servers to show an image stream and be able to not only monitor the front  yard (or for critters) or do an image grab, or save a video clip. Those were years ago.  People used several different types of third party software to watch that stream and do for instance time lapse captures.  I think one is Blue Iris.  All this is whether or not you are on the web.  What happened in the yard, stayed in the yard.

Now, it seems the big move is to have elcheapo cameras from Menards or Best Buy or Amazon that take a stream, send it to some cloud place, where their software can monitor for motion detection and a million other things that they, the company, deem important.  You need to be on the internet to do it.

I have two HikVision cameras, one which will work with an old browser or their iMVS software to show the current video, and indeed do a capture or even a segment of action as a movie.  Goodness knows if it is sending stuff to China without me knowing it (but that is another story about having some sort of outbound location software monitor which I wish was also available, for all sorts of stuff).  Anyway all that seems to have vanished, unless this product line will let one do that.  If I recall from reading the last few days, things like Blue Iris won't read the Reolink image stream, and you can't get frame captures to post to your weather page, nor get those neat time lapse videos automatically produced to upload or even upload to one's web page.

Am I wrong?  Is this a step backwards, or doing ONLY as the big company wants us to do?

I'd think someone out there would still make a camera that worked with all the old software, and did the things that the users wanted.

Oh, whatever happened to HikVision?  Was it really in China's back pocket and a sort of a security risk, or was that all hot air?

Dale

Oh, Chief David, you should have waved as you drove by!   
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2021, 03:51:51 PM »
Drove past Menards HQ and went to a storage facility 
800 Wisconsin  St.
A Dew at Kwik Trip and home before traffic really got bad.

Bought a Ms. Pacman game for my wife.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2021, 04:53:45 PM »
I haven't tried Blue Iris, but the camera software on my Asustor NAS will connect and control my camera (RLC-511w). So some third party software will still work.

Certain Reolink cameras will still work with Blue Iris, but not the battery operated ones.

https://reolink.com/blue-iris-ip-security-cameras/

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2021, 05:12:16 PM »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2021, 05:33:20 PM »
Thanks for the real-user info. 

That night shot you shared is very sharp and Is a great example of what the camera can do.

Thanks for that. Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2021, 05:34:50 PM »
I've only owned Reolink cameras and I've been happy with the three different versions I have (RLC-511w, RLC-810a & Argus 2). Their main use is to capture the critters wondering though my yard.

One thing I would be careful of is matching the capabilities that you want in a camera with the actual Reolink camera. They all act and do things a little bit different, from motion detection, app & Client options, image resolution, alerts, FTP etc. Everything can be very confusing so be careful what you purchase.

(Dale, grew up a Packer fan in a suburb of Milwaukee during the Lombardi era and went to school in La Crosse. I'm now rooting for the Vikings ... sigh. The Pack will win the super bowl this year if they have a healthy Rodgers).
Gotta ask. How do you grow up a Pack fan during the Lombardi years and switch to the Vikings?

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2021, 05:35:34 PM »
Chief David:

I hope she doesn't read your posts!

I think I know where you were.  And for Kwik Trips, there are so many here they far outnumber just about any other business.  On the SE side of town we have three, yes three, within a 1/2 mile of each other.  And go to a mile and I think there are now 8.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »
@worachj,
I got the Argus 2 to see who is at front door and to capture motion for replay, and it was a pretty good Black Friday deal.  I am having some support email with Reolink as I haven't seen any motion images nor playback. 

The instruction manual I downloaded shows some different settings to my Client application and I have tried all the settings I've been able to see.  Any quick suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul
I haven't tried the email notifs. Just went with the push. I will say their CS is very good. Have emailed back each time within a day. 
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 05:40:57 PM by ocala »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
A long time hope of mine before I get brain rot is to have a camera mounted on my tower.  I live in a heavily Oak tree woods, which were about 50' high when I moved here and now are 60 to 70' high.  I had to trim some back and we dropped 7 last winter to keep them from overhanging the house, and were really encroaching on my ham radio tower.

The plan was to make some sort of box, run power to it, find some way to have a reasonably clear outlook to the west and watch, real time and via time lapse, incoming thunderstorms and sunsets, and if we ever get them again, aurora.

Now with some wireless cameras of good sensitivity and resolution, this seems still possible in the time I have  (one never knows, does one?)

I have 60' of Rohm 65G and it is solid as a rock, but still don't like to be on it, and with my hand strength going, hire a young buck who like doing tree work with ropes and thinks this tower is like climbing a ladder.

My latest hiccough in the plan is my house windows need cleaning at least a couple times a year, with pollen and dust and wet surfaces with windy conditions collecting all sorts of stuff.

Unless I can come up with a wiper situation like the old Volvos had for their headlights, I may still be thwarted in having my eye on the sky.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2021, 05:42:21 PM »
I will get an 811 (I think) for Christmas to play with.

Let me be frustrated for a minute and people set me straight.  We had IP type cameras with either built in web servers to show an image stream and be able to not only monitor the front  yard (or for critters) or do an image grab, or save a video clip. Those were years ago.  People used several different types of third party software to watch that stream and do for instance time lapse captures.  I think one is Blue Iris.  All this is whether or not you are on the web.  What happened in the yard, stayed in the yard.

Now, it seems the big move is to have elcheapo cameras from Menards or Best Buy or Amazon that take a stream, send it to some cloud place, where their software can monitor for motion detection and a million other things that they, the company, deem important.  You need to be on the internet to do it.

I have two HikVision cameras, one which will work with an old browser or their iMVS software to show the current video, and indeed do a capture or even a segment of action as a movie.  Goodness knows if it is sending stuff to China without me knowing it (but that is another story about having some sort of outbound location software monitor which I wish was also available, for all sorts of stuff).  Anyway all that seems to have vanished, unless this product line will let one do that.  If I recall from reading the last few days, things like Blue Iris won't read the Reolink image stream, and you can't get frame captures to post to your weather page, nor get those neat time lapse videos automatically produced to upload or even upload to one's web page.

Am I wrong?  Is this a step backwards, or doing ONLY as the big company wants us to do?

I'd think someone out there would still make a camera that worked with all the old software, and did the things that the users wanted.

Oh, whatever happened to HikVision?  Was it really in China's back pocket and a sort of a security risk, or was that all hot air?

Dale

Oh, Chief David, you should have waved as you drove by!
That 811 is on sale right now at Walmart for $83. Pretty good for a 4K with a 2 year warranty.

anything