Author Topic: New Weather Station  (Read 688 times)

Offline CloudsRollBy

New Weather Station
« on: October 17, 2021, 08:37:20 PM »
First post here.  I finished my new weather station using the basic design idea that several forum members have used.

The lightning detector is mounted under a covered patio.  I still haven't decided where to mount the air quality sensor where it would be somewhat shielded, but able to have enough sunlight for the solar panel.

Here are some basic design details, many of which I shamelessly stole from others who have posted on this forum:

The anemometer is sitting on top of 1-1/2" rigid metal conduit, 15 feet in height.

The post is a 4" X 6" X 8' (treated) set in a hole 36" deep X 15" with five 60Lb bags of concrete.  I actually purchased a 10ft. post and cut two feet off for the cross-member. I made the cross-member that supports the rain gauge and temp sensor by cutting a lap joint. 

The rain gauge and temp/humidity sensors are mounted using j-poles which are usually used for satellite dishes.

The pole is grounded using a  4ft. ground rod. 

After looking at my photos, I think I will rotate my rain gauge 180 degrees to get it a little farther away from the pole.

I purchased all of my Ecowitt equipment directly from China and delivery was surprisingly quick.  Based on numerous posts, I decided to use a Davis radiation shield for the Temp/Humidity sensor.

A complete list of my station equipment is in my signature block.

I think I spent about $800 total for the Ecowitt and Davis equipment and the installation materials.

I want to think all who post on this forum for the fantastic information that allowed me to put the station together.  =D>

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:03:48 PM by CloudsRollBy »
Ecowitt HP2551-C Console
Ecowitt WS68 Anemometer
Ecowitt WH32E Outdoor Temp/Humidity sensor
Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge
Ecowitt GW1100 Gateway
Ecowitt WH41 Air Quality sensor
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Detector
Davis 6830 Radiation Shield

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: New Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 09:40:32 PM »
Nice setup.

I have a post to plant and planned to attach ISS to it.

Now that I see your photo, I remember driving by a SAT dish for give away beside the road. I'll stop for the "J" next time.

Offline CloudsRollBy

Re: New Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 01:00:58 AM »
Nice setup.

I have a post to plant and planned to attach ISS to it.

Now that I see your photo, I remember driving by a SAT dish for give away beside the road. I'll stop for the "J" next time.

I agree, old sat dishes seem to be in every junk pile.  If you can't find a j-pole, Amazon Warehouse has some that are not too expensive.
Ecowitt HP2551-C Console
Ecowitt WS68 Anemometer
Ecowitt WH32E Outdoor Temp/Humidity sensor
Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge
Ecowitt GW1100 Gateway
Ecowitt WH41 Air Quality sensor
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Detector
Davis 6830 Radiation Shield