Author Topic: Ecowitt: wish for better WU support  (Read 425 times)

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
Ecowitt: wish for better WU support
« on: November 05, 2022, 04:31:37 AM »
Hi!

There is a clearly defined WU standard that describes the possibilities and keys for uploading to WU-compatible systems:

https://support.weather.com/s/article/PWS-Upload-Protocol?language=en_US

Currently, Ecowitt only partially supports this format - some of the values recorded by the weather station cannot be sent to the target system, although this would be possible according to the format description.
This concerns the temperature values of the WH31/WN30 sensors (WH31/tempNf: tempNf), the soil temperature (WN34/tf_chN: soiltempN) and the leaf wetness (WN35/leafwetness_chN: leafwetnessN).

This problem does not come into play when sending to Weather Underground - this service does not display the values anyway and they cannot be retrieved via API either.
However, better support of the WU format would be interesting when sending via custom server, because services such as Awekas would definitely process this additional data.

But how could this be implemented?
According to the WU format description, the WU standard supports several outdoor temperature sensors:
tempf - [F outdoor temperature]
* for extra outdoor sensors use temp2f, temp3f, and so on
The "and so on" implies to me that Ecowitt could therefore transmit the temperatures of the 8 possible WH31/WN30 sensors as follows:

Ecowitt      WU
temp1f --> temp2f
temp2f --> temp3f
temp3f --> temp4f
temp4f --> temp5f
temp5f --> temp6f
temp6f --> temp7f
temp7f --> temp8f
temp8f --> temp9f

For the floor temperatures, the 8 possible WN34 sensors with their keys tf_chN could be used:

Ecowitt      WU
tf_ch1 --> soiltempf
tf_ch2 --> soiltemp2f
tf_ch3 --> soiltemp3f
tf_ch4 --> soiltemp4f
tf_ch5 --> soiltemp5f
tf_ch6 --> soiltemp6f
tf_ch7 --> soiltemp7f
tf_ch8 --> soiltemp8f

Even though there are only 4 sensors described in the WU format:
soiltempf - [F soil temperature]
* for sensors 2,3,4 use soiltemp2f, soiltemp3f, and soiltemp4f
I would therefore also assume the "and so on" here.

I imagine a comparable solution for the leaf wetness. There it says as a note in the WU standard:
leafwetness - [%]
+ for sensor 2 use leafwetness2
In the Ecowitt world there are up to 8 leaf moisture sensors of the type WN35. The fewest users will probably have 8 of these quite expensive sensors in use. But even here I would expect the assignment as with tempNf with "and so on":

Ecowitt                    WU
leafwetness_ch1 --> leafwetness
leafwetness_ch2 --> leafwetness2
leafwetness_ch3 --> leafwetness3
leafwetness_ch4 --> leafwetness4
leafwetness_ch5 --> leafwetness5
leafwetness_ch6 --> leafwetness6
leafwetness_ch7 --> leafwetness7
leafwetness_ch8 --> leafwetness8

FOSHKplugin already converts the Ecowitt keys according to the above assignments. So it should be possible to send the complete data to e.g. Awekas via this diversions.
However, it would make much more sense if the Ecowitt stations were fully WU-compatible and could therefore also transmit according to the standard themselves - without additional software.

What do you think?
I have asked Ecowitt about this and expressed my wish. Perhaps this thread here could be used as evidence of greater user interest - perhaps I am just a lone opinion after all?

Regards, Oliver

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: Ecowitt: wish for better WU support
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 04:37:48 AM »
From a quick scan that protocol is something invented by The Weather Channel that extends the WU protocol rather than an official WU standard?

No reason why Ecowitt couldn't adopt it though.
Mark

Offline olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3xx0C
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 04:55:59 AM »
Hi Mark,

as I understand it, Weather Underground has been absorbed into The Weather Channel (or now The Weather Company) within IBM:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_Underground_(weather_service)

Therefore, I understand the document to be an official (and up-to-date) description of the WU format.
But of course I could be wrong about that.

Regards, Oliver

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 05:44:23 AM »
From all accounts there is nothing "standard" about anything WU anymore!

anything