Author Topic: GoDaddy 'upgrade' to cPanel fouled stuff up, or did I not understand  (Read 566 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I've spent a lot of time today with an attempt to get my web wx site back.
I had a basic account for years with GoDaddy.  It is ecwx.info, and under that I had a few separate folders/directories which held each of the shared weather program and displays.  Most of these are filled with WeatherDisplay writing to them, and if I want to see, for instance, the weather station CampbellScientific, I go to ecwx.info/c and there is an index.html for my browser to see.

I got a notice that GoDaddy was going to upgrade me to cPanel.  Not that I am sophisticated enough to use it or need it.  The message said absolutely nothing was needed to be done after the upgrade, sort of have a good day. 

After the upgrade my stations stopped updating.  I tried to access the site with my FileZilla ftp program.  Many time outs, once connected with a user name, the password always failed.

I got halting info from GoDaddy on what to do, and did manage to reset my password.  Little good that did, with continuing 'failed to reach server' and 20 second timeouts.  It was curious that ecwx.info/t which pointed to a meteotemplate instance still seemed to work, and I sure don't know why.  The WeatherDisplay program that uploaded info wasn't able to connect, according to the log.  As I say I'm confused.

Now tonight I was able to finally, after an auto retry, get FileZilla to connect and the root directory is filled with all sorts of marvelous and unknown stuff.  In that long list, there is a 'public_html' directory which has all my previous station files listed, as if they got moved down to this new directory.  If I access those, it seems to have stuff in the state it was when the upgrade got done.

I am wondering if I now need to point my ftp uploads to this level-down directory, by putting something like 'public_html/c' in the path for the Weather Display to know where the new place is to upload?

Will I need to modify and tell all my previous viewers who do check occassionally that instead of going to 'ecwx.info/c' to get to the Campbell Scientific upload that they'll need to type in a much more confusing 'ecwx.info/public_html/c' to get there?

So far I've not been able to get a person on the line from GoDaddy who can interact and help me understand what is afoot, but when I have a couple hours tomorrow I hope to be able to sit at the computer and call until I get through to a human.  I'm wondering if this so called upgrade by GoDaddy has completely mucked up my directory plan, or do I need to now use FileZilla to drag the various intact directories that have been moved to ecwx.info/public_html up into the root directory again so Weather Display can see them to upload to, and that casual users who can understand the short simple address of ecwx.info for the main address to get a weather page, rather than stick in the 'public_html' in all of the references?

I'm very confused.  Any reassurance, or comments about when you got 'upgraded'?
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: GoDaddy 'upgrade' to cPanel fouled stuff up, or did I not understand
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 12:05:59 AM »
Yes, your new uploads now follow the more common Linux convention of using the '/public_html/' as the upload directory prefix for your site.  I have a Debian based testing server that I installed here before I was switched over to GoDaddy's cpanel server, so fortunately it didn't take long for this change to sink in.  I also had a gibberish user name and password assigned by them that was needed to upload my files.

The site is still served as https://www.gwwilkins.org/
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 09:26:30 AM »
Thank you for this reply.  More studying to do, and indeed, the password/user name may be part of the reason which  I didn't recall until you mentioned it.

One last point:  When I give out the address of my site, and I want to have the casual viewer to have an easy link to view the index.html file to see the weather station upload, do I need to put the directory name in the string (long and confusing and I've never seen it before) or when a non-ftp access to my site occurs, does the linux hosting automatically just look in the public_html folder for the correct place?  For example, my site is ecwx.info    The Linux now says that the root directory has this 'public_html' folder which now contains my wanted folder, for example again say '/c' for the Campbell station.   Does the user get automatically directed to it with the browser address of 'ecwx.info/c' or do all users now need to type in something like 'ecwx.info/public_html/c' to get there.  Seems pretty strange, and maybe the hosting system just points to what is needed if it determines that the browser is trying to load that page's index.html.

Thank you for this.  Your guidance has been helpful and I'll play about some more. 
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »
See the link to my site in my reply.  It's just the usual url.

You'll get there, Dale.  Just stick with it.

Oh, and every time I try to get to my  cpanel it's like playing 'Where's Waldo?'  It's not immediately apparent how to access it...
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2021, 12:46:43 PM »

Hi Dale,
As Jerry has indicated there should be no change in the URL to your web pages.
I faced the same questions a few years go when GoDddy changed me to CPanel.

In using FileZilla or loging in to GoDaddy to the File Manager, for my understanding, I look at that "public_html" folder as the same as my main host web site "www.komokaweather.com"
i.e. my site at GoDaddy folder public_html is my website URL www.komokaweather.com
and my site at GoDaddy folder public_html/cumulusmx is my website URL www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx
and the same for the other separate folders in public_html for my other website templates

So any files to upload by FileZilla or the weather program (Cumulus for me)is to public_html or public_html/cumulusmx, etc.  I had to make that change in the internet settings in my Cumulus program for it to update to the correct place.

Enjoy,
Paul

anything