Author Topic: CumulusMX on RPi4B Questions  (Read 899 times)

Offline MaverickNH

CumulusMX on RPi4B Questions
« on: July 16, 2023, 11:19:45 AM »
The Davis WeatherLink Android app just isn’t what I want - it doesn’t auto fresh the current data. So, I’m looking at options for a small display on my kitchen counter for weather at a glance, where I don’t have to touch the screen at all to see what I want. CumulusMX on a Raspberry Pi May fit the bill, but a few questions first.

1. Does the image file work on a RPi4B? There’s some comments about a RPi3B on the Wiki, so I’m not sure…
2. Can I integrate my Davis VantageVue and WeatherLink 6100 indoor data?
3. Does the data display auto-refresh periodically?
4. Can I add an extended (3/5-day) forecast on the main screen?
5. Can I add a local radar image on the main screen?

Thanks for the help.

Bret/N4SRN

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: CumulusMX on RPi4B Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 01:47:45 PM »
Hi,
1. Does the image file work on a RPi4B? There’s some comments about a RPi3B on the Wiki, so I’m not sure…
I don't use RPi but am pretty sure CMX can run on both 3 and 4, there are lots of posts about using 3 and 4 on the Cumulus forum

2. Can I integrate my Davis VantageVue and WeatherLink 6100 indoor data?
Why :?:
A CumulusMX install can receive from one device only, either console/logger or WLL 6100.  Both get the same data from the same outside ISS but each has its own indoor temp/hum and pressure from the location they are placed.
With both a console/logger and WLL you could run two instances of CMX and through customized template using webtags you may be able to display (beyond me to advise how).

3. Does the data display auto-refresh periodically?
The data in the CMX local Dashboard is live as updated from the ISS - i.e. seconds for wind, temp, hum, rain.

4. Can I add an extended (3/5-day) forecast on the main screen?
Can I add a local radar image on the main screen?
The local CMX Dashboard can be modified (beyond me to advise how)

Have you considered the new Weatherlink Console 6313?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 02:12:23 PM »
Thanks, Paul. I had considered the WL Console 6313 but there's a lot of rough spots with it still. I'll set up a CumulusMX install and see how it looks. I might just send the WLL 6100 back - it doesn't seem to add much for me use.

Bret

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Offline MaverickNH

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 02:35:00 PM »
I didn't think to ask - how can I get the data from a Vantage Vue to a RPi4B running CumulusMX? It's not a direct WiFi link is it? I'm assuming the Davis unit sends a proprietary signal?

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 03:33:18 PM »
Hi,
You need a Davis compatible datalogger, either the USB, serial or IP (i.e. WiFiLogger), inserted in the console for the PC or RPi to connect with the console.  The WLL is an IP logger without the need of a console.

Enjoy,
Paul

anything