Author Topic: Adding a Boltek  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Adding a Boltek
« on: May 11, 2009, 01:07:54 PM »
I am looking at the next phase of station spending. I would like to add a Boltek but have a couple of questions.

1) Is there software that will provide real time updates to a website
2) Does any software provide any kind of animation for a website
3) Is the hardware\software cpu intensive that I can't run it on the weather station computer
4) USB or the PCI card - which one

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: Adding a Boltek
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 01:48:44 PM »
1.) Yes, NexStorm can do this with StormVue that is included as long as you are running the full version of and not NexStorm Lite that ships with the Boltek.

2.)Yes, Nexstorm can do this as well.

3.)No not really, I have mine running on a dedicated weather PC with no problem. Of course mine was bought in mind for using it as a Weather PC. As long as it has enough RAM and a good processor I don't see why you couldn't run it. The software would be the only CPU intensive part but there are settings to can set in NexStorm for that and it doesn't take up much to start with from what I can take.

4.) PCI card, it can detect striker better. There is a comparison chart but I can't seem to find it now. I am sure someone else knows where it is and will post it. 

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 01:59:26 PM »
I just got a Boltek at xmas, relatively painless to install, and the software is pretty cool.  I have not done any advanced ranging stuff yet, as we have only hade two severe weather days this spring.

I am looking at the next phase of station spending. I would like to add a Boltek but have a couple of questions.
1) Is there software that will provide real time updates to a website
I use Nexstorm full version.   Seems like many others use it, and like it.  People also use Lightning/2000. MadALwx uses both.  I like Nexstorm cause lots of people here use it, you get on Strikestar networks, and they give you access to Wasp2 software add on as well.

2) Does any software provide any kind of animation for a website
Stormvue, java free add-on for Nexstorm does provide animated strike plots. With some php, you can do some neat stuff with other graphics, like time lapse animated gif's of Wasp2 maps, etc.

3) Is the hardware\software cpu intensive that I can't run it on the weather station computer
have not noticed anything cpu taxing with boltek install.  All the software that is related to nexstorm seems to run pretty light as well.  Nexstorn core app, Strikelink for uploading to Strikestar, and Wasp2 for downloading strikestar data and Nexrad radar...

4) USB or the PCI card - which one
If you are stationary, PCI for sure.  Its cheaper and better (more plot types).  I would only get usb if you were going to be a chaser....

Andrew
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:03:12 PM by mackbig »

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:34:22 AM »
Thanks guys. Now it is time to make the purchase.