Author Topic: tapatalk  (Read 3046 times)

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
tapatalk
« on: December 09, 2020, 07:16:24 AM »
This board adds a taptalk button to my browser bar, why ? and how do I remove it ?  I have no use for or interest in tapatalk  :?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Re: tapatalk
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 08:29:05 AM »
There's no "tapatalk" WXForum menu item for me.

If it's a browser button, what browser are you using?
I'm using Windows 10 and the new Chromium based Microsoft Edge.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 10:12:07 AM »
I've not seen anything related to tapatalk and hope I never do.

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2020, 11:24:34 AM »
The forum supports access via Tapatalk, but doesn't add any buttons for visitors using a browser.  Check your browser's add-on plugins.. there may be something there that is adding buttons to the html page from the forum.  Hard to tell.. which browser on which OS are you running to see the tapatalk button(s) on the page?
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 12:07:50 PM »
When visiting the forum on my Android devices (mobile and tablet) because the Tapatalk app was installed it would pop-up and ask if you wanted to view in Tapatalk instead of in the browser (Chrome). At one point I used Tapatalk...but I felt it wasn't better than just using the browser. So I uninstalled Tapatalk and it has not asked me again.

So if you are on a mobile device and you don't intend to use Tapatalk ....then uninstall it. It may be possible that you still may be asked to install or use Tapatalk....just tell it No and to remember that option if it has the option. It is possible that different mobile devices behave differently and it may change depending on browser aslo.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 12:11:24 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 01:03:09 PM »
I use Firefox for Android,  don't have Tapatalk installed on any of my devices, never have. The only add on I have for Firefox for Android is the default theme. The button appears on 2 tablets and a phone, not on a desktop, here's a screenshot, clicking the button with the  + on it gives the result shown. This is the only website I visit where this button appears.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 01:07:13 PM »
That pop-up should only show up once. Unless you are deleting cookies. And it is a pop-up notification not a button. Unless you are referring a button on the browser that shows what is possible. If that is the case then ignore it as it shouldn't produce a banner pop-up unless you activate it. This is function of the browser is to detect things that are possible. For example it shows you when it can translate a page as a separate indication (a button). If you don't want to translate the page then you don't click on the translate button. Same thing. Don't like it..then try a different browser...but you may not fair better.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 01:52:22 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 03:06:31 PM »
The popup shows if I activate the button, it only shows on Firefox not Chrome. I use several forums that are Tapatalk enabled, they give a popup that shows once as you described, doesn't show again unless cookies are cleared, very common behaviour.
However this is the only forum that I visit that shows that button on my browser,  without my permission and with no apparent way to remove it.
 Quite concerning, especially given Tapatalk's reputation for somewhat shady exploits, possibly why Google have removed Tapatalk from the Play store.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:41:28 PM by jimi »

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 03:14:19 PM »
No "tapatalk" nonsense here with Microsoft Edge.

And I use Microsoft Edge on both my Windows 10 PC and Microsoft Edge for Android on my Android Pixel 3XL phone.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 03:19:21 PM »
I gave up on FireFox a while back when a bunch of stuff wouldn't work. Been Chrome mostly and now that Edge actually works decent it is required for some corporate stuff.

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 03:28:00 PM »
I used Chrome for many years and was talked in to trying the new Chromium Edge. After a tryout I switched from Chrome to Edge on all my devices. Quite frankly Edge now works better than Chrome did, everything stays in sync, and now I much prefer Edge.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 09:11:31 PM »
Today on my Android tablet using Chrome browser I got this Tapatalk pop-up without clicking on anything as I landed on wxforum.net. I don't have Tapatalk installed. I've seen this from time to time. I have not deleted cookies. I click Cancel and I never see it again for a while. Maybe it appears when some updates are done to the forum software. This doesn't phase me though as I know nothing nefarious is happening and that Tapatalk not being installed is not able to do anything.

I suppose it could be something to look into for the forum administrator. I did some research and it seems that it may be possible for the forum to keep Tapatalk support without advertising it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:05:21 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 09:59:56 PM »
galfert, that's a bit unsettling and not something I wanted to hear!

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 12:17:36 AM »
I think I found where the banner stuff was inserted and have disabled it.  See if it pops up now.

Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 04:38:43 AM »
I think I found where the banner stuff was inserted and have disabled it.  See if it pops up now.

Ken
[tup]
That's sorted it, button has gone. Thanks for your prompt attention  8-)
Jimi

anything