Author Topic: Weather stations compatible with Open Weather Map API  (Read 5631 times)

Offline SteveJP

Weather stations compatible with Open Weather Map API
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:47:58 AM »
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a weather station with the ability to connection to the "Open Weather Map" API. The reason for this is that I want to be able to use the information in conjunction with my telescope setup, and the software for that uses a standard called ASCOM which can use data from the Open Weather Map API, but apparently not Weather Underground etc.
I'm looking for rainfall, temperature,humidity, due point, wind speed and direction.
What puzzles me is that there are thousands of weather stations connecting to the Open Weather Map system, but after spending several hours on the Internet, I'm still completely unable to determine what brands of weather station will connect in this way. I emailed the OPW people, but they were only able to point me to the description of the API.
Hope someone knows the answer to what seems like a simple question.
Thanks
Steve

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Weather stations compatible with Open Weather Map API
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 06:08:56 AM »
Most weather stations only upload to a small handful of weather services. But you are looking in the wrong place if you are looking for a weather station with that given capability. What you need is a weather station that is possible to be used with 3rd party weather software. Meaning you need a weather station that will allow you to get live data using software so that you can then upload it to Openweathermap.

That may sound complicated, but it really isn't. You just work backwards to find the solution.

The following software has been designed with the ability to upload to Openweathermap:
  • Meteobridge
  • WeeWX
  • Weather-Display

Now all you need is a weather station compatible with any of those software and you have the complete solution.

The following weather stations are compatible with said software:

• Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Weatherlink Live logger
  • Ecowitt - Just about any model station with the added optional GW1000. The GW1000 is only optional if you use WeeWX.

There are other options and possible combinations. But those I listed are the most popular and they represent two different price points.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 10:12:50 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline SteveJP

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:20:09 AM »
Thanks galfert for that very detailed and helpful reply. I'll look in the direction you suggest.
Rgds
Steve

Offline KruseLuds

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 08:49:48 AM »
Most weather stations only upload to a small handful of weather services. But you are looking in the wrong place if you are looking for a weather station with that given capability. What you need is a weather station that is possible to be used with 3rd party weather software. Meaning you need a weather station that will allow you to get live data using software so that you can then upload it to Openweathermap.

That may sound complicated, but it really isn't. You just work backwards to find the solution.

The following software has been designed with the ability to upload to Openweathermap:
  • Meteobridge
  • WeeWX
  • Weather-Display

Now all you need is a weather station compatible with any of those software and you have the complete solution.

The following weather stations are compatible with said software:

• Davis Vantage Pro 2 with Weatherlink Live logger
  • Ecowitt - Just about any model station with the added optional GW1000. The GW1000 is only optional if you use WeeWX.

There are other options and possible combinations. But those I listed are the most popular and they represent two different price points.

Ugh - if I am just getting into this myself as well, and have just received an Ambient WS-2902c as a gift. The last sentence in your statement offers a glimmer of hope however... how do I get my hands directly on my data (rather than indirectly from the cloud) as well?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 08:51:28 AM by KruseLuds »

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 10:30:19 AM »
  • Meteobridge
  • WeeWX
  • Weather-Display
And Cumulus MX  ;)
Mark

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 12:36:21 PM »
how do I get my hands directly on my data (rather than indirectly from the cloud) as well?

You can use the 'customized' option to send data to your own server ( on your local net or on the internet ): https://help.ambientweather.net/help/advanced/

Offline KruseLuds

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 12:35:24 PM »
how do I get my hands directly on my data (rather than indirectly from the cloud) as well?

You can use the 'customized' option to send data to your own server ( on your local net or on the internet ): https://help.ambientweather.net/help/advanced/

For me that will be the third step. Here is my situation, and I hope this helps others - I will try to share my progress -

Step 1 (Done except for the permanent mount):

* Programmer (Not Linux, primarily Windows) in a past life and I thought I left that behind - but I guess not!
* I got an Ambient WS-2902C a few days ago, it is set up in a temporary location (brackets coming for permanent mounting) but already broadcasting to:
    Ambient Weather: https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/3e5ec6331a8884e1ac1d5fbd2812ba11/tiles
    Weather Underground: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNJRIDGE44
    Weather Cloud: https://app.weathercloud.net/d7511690833#current
    PWS Weather: https://www.pwsweather.com/station/pws/KRUSE1
    - And google assistant so I can ask my phone about my weather station.

With no other hardware, as far as web sites go, only the first three allow you to do a simple connection to your station directly in the Ambient Weather website (AmbientWeather.net, not AmbientWeather.com), for PWS weather it's a little different and not straightforward, here is a blurb I got from the PWSWeather support folks to get it done:

"To send data from AmbientWeather.net you'll put your PWSweather.com station's ID and API key as the password in the PWS Weather section of your AmbientWeather.net dashboard and enable sending data to PWSweather.com.  The API key is longer than the box so use the copy icon next to it to capture all 32 characters of the key then paste it as the password."

I speaking with the AmbientWeather technical support, they have no products for sale for this unit for getting raw data. The raw data is sent by RF signal to the supplied console and the console only when left plugged into power (not on batteries) is via WiFi on your network and publishing the data to AmbientWeather.com which all the above services talk to. The support folks insist that there is no RF data that is sent from the unit which is not available through the AmbientWeather API.

I have already used IFTT to collect rain information into a google sheet that also has information about my sump pump operation etc. I have notice that rainfall goes out to three digits (#.###) while it only gets rounded to the nearest 2 digits on the console (#.##).

So, I am trying to do what you were doing, which is get raw data to put into my own database.

Step 2 (In Progress):

I plan on getting a raspberry PI and a SDR (Software Defined Radio) (two pieces of hardware required) to listen to the raw data directly.

Step 3 (not yet started):

I will be using my setup to then also compare:

Raspberry PI collecting all RF data into a DB
A. Raspberry PI website collecting all data from console via your solution above
B. Raspberry Pi website colleting data from the AmbientWeather API

What do you folks think? (IS A and B actually the same data/same thing - maybe?)

anything