Author Topic: Cumulus is still king!  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Larryu

Cumulus is still king!
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:14:25 PM »
Been using it for a long time it just can't be beat it's to bad someone can't update it so it will go past 2020 not sure what will happen in 2021.

I have tried MX and it is okay but missing a few key components that made cumulus so great. For one it is missing the stats panel where cumulus shows you new record and error.

I find the error stats very important for one i always know when my webhost is down and the time and for how long yes i know there are other ways to see that into but it's handy.  \:D/

It also tells me if WU or any of the other weather sites login is incorrect. I do not see these things in MX.

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Cumulus is still king!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 09:59:32 PM »
Cumulus V1 is no longer being developed -- all the development is on Cumulus MX (V2).

The V1 Cumulus used http for uploads to WU and other sites and can't be adapted to work when the sites go to https-only.

Best to 'bite the bullet' and convert to MX -- it has support for the future.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:59:57 PM »
Cumulus V1 is no longer being developed -- all the development is on Cumulus MX (V2).

The V1 Cumulus used http for uploads to WU and other sites and can't be adapted to work when the sites go to https-only.

Version 1.9.4 is the only weather software I'd use. The server hosting my site will never go exclusively to SSL so I'm not concerned. I tried MX and hated it. Won't play nice with my site without making the graphs page ugly looking and mismatched with the other pages. Fix that and put all of the version 1 features back and I might think about it; though I doubt it. Future efforts to update should be focused on version 1, not MX. Version 1 looks so much better too, when the colors are configured right. Too much was left out of MX in the rush to get it out. I will stay with version 1.9.4.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline Larryu

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 07:01:31 AM »
I agree, i have tried many others and always come back to Cumulus. With Cumulus i can run it from any hard drive partition without needing to reinstall it if i redo windows.

For comparison i have tried weather display and you have to reinstall it each time you redo windows even if you have it installed to a different partition.

I have found that weather display gets features added then removed but the option is still in the GUI to use it.  :roll:

I'll keep trying. :)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:33:58 AM »

I don't follow this?  My site is HTTPS and it works. Are you saying eventually it won't?
I also tried MX and didn't care for it at all. I dread the day if forced to use MX.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 10:43:06 AM »
Been using it for a long time it just can't be beat it's to bad someone can't update it so it will go past 2020 not sure what will happen in 2021.

I have tried MX and it is okay but missing a few key components that made cumulus so great. For one it is missing the stats panel where cumulus shows you new record and error.

I find the error stats very important for one i always know when my webhost is down and the time and for how long yes i know there are other ways to see that into but it's handy.  \:D/

It also tells me if WU or any of the other weather sites login is incorrect. I do not see these things in MX.

Where did the idea it won't work past 2020 come?  I tried select a graph and it scrolled well past until I tired of scrolling and was in mid 2035.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:45:07 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »

Where did the idea it won't work past 2020 come?  I tried select a graph and it scrolled well past until I tired of scrolling and was in mid 2035.

From here:
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=17227
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »
That only refers to bits of the UI that involve drop-down year lists which were only filled to 2020.  The program itself will continue to function as it always has.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 02:20:56 PM »
Good and thanks guys for the response. As I read it NOAA reports will be automatically generated still. You just won't be able to manually use the dropdown list inside Cumulus itself. No biggy for me I look at it on my website.
Randy

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 06:15:54 PM »
The response from Steve (author of Cumulus) in that thread is important:

Post by steve » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:39 am
Cumulus 1 should continue to work, it's just that facility which will be limited (and any other facilities which have a similar poorly designed interface!). It does mean that as well as not being able to view reports from 2021 onwards, you won't be able to create them manually either, only automatically.

Creating a new version of Cumulus 1 is not feasible, I no longer have the tools to do it, and I can't release the source code due to a licence agreement. Even if I could release the source code, it would cost several thousand dollars to buy the tools and components required to build a new version. This was one of the reasons I stopped developing Cumulus 1, and created Cumulus MX which can be built with free tools and components.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Larryu

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 06:36:21 PM »
The response from Steve (author of Cumulus) in that thread is important:

Post by steve » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:39 am
Cumulus 1 should continue to work, it's just that facility which will be limited (and any other facilities which have a similar poorly designed interface!). It does mean that as well as not being able to view reports from 2021 onwards, you won't be able to create them manually either, only automatically.

Creating a new version of Cumulus 1 is not feasible, I no longer have the tools to do it, and I can't release the source code due to a licence agreement. Even if I could release the source code, it would cost several thousand dollars to buy the tools and components required to build a new version. This was one of the reasons I stopped developing Cumulus 1, and created Cumulus MX which can be built with free tools and components.

How do i view the NOAA reports after 2021? Will they still be generated.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 07:24:23 PM »
Yes, it was answered later in the same thread. They will still generate.
For viewing, you would need to go into NOAA Reports folder or for those with websites it will continue uploading automatically at midnight. 
The dropdown menu just doesn't go beyond 2020 for NOAA reports.
Randy

Offline Larryu

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 06:17:59 PM »
Is that the only thing that will not work correctly?

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »
Another long-time Cumulus 1 user here who would dread having to switch to MX. I'm still running the same netbook (Samsung NC10) as when it all started for me back in April 2009. I've tweaked my web pages and that's all I can do as I have neither the skills or desire to learn web languages which seem to change every five minutes.

I pride myself that in over 10 years of weather recording I've only missed 1.5 days of wind recording when I had to swap out an anemometer.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 01:28:25 PM »
I don't quite get this 'dread' malarkey?!

Switching over to CMX shouldn't cause much of a headache. However, I wouldn't want to go back to v1 (assuming there wasn't a choice) I find that it runs far smoother than V1. It's easier to use. The UI is modern, and I can log in to that UI from any device on my home network, so it makes it easy if a tweak needs to be made.

I recommend upgrading it, rather than being stuck in the past.

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
For those who prefer to remain on Cumulus 1, I have a "patched" version of Cumulus 1 build 1099 that will accept dates up to 2030 in the NOAA monthly and Yearly dialogs, and the Snow Index dialog. I'll be uploading it to the Cumulus Wiki this weekend.
Mark

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
Thanks Mark, that's great.... I'll have the best of both worlds... Cumulus 1 AND CumulusMX!
Enjoy,Paul