Author Topic: Connecting to server takes for ages  (Read 3421 times)

Offline adaptec

Connecting to server takes for ages
« on: March 03, 2009, 05:32:49 AM »
I have used Virtual Weather Station for a long time (never happy though), now version 12.07. I use a moblile broadband dial up connection. The connection it self is fast enough because you can use the connection for surfing if needed, though this is only used for a webcam plus the weather data.

I'm not kidding when I say that VWS takes 9-10 minutes of connecting to the FTP server. Why does it take so long time?

Does anyone have tips for similar software that is better than VWS (shouldn't take much!!!)?

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
Re: Connecting to server takes for ages
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:07:41 AM »
I would start by upgrading to a more recent version of VWS. The version you are running is ancient.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline adaptec

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:50:45 AM »
Ancient? It was brand new last year, bought from Ambient about a year ago. I have the internet edition.

I am more willing in changing to new software than upgrading the current.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »
Version 12.07p58 was last updated on February 17, 2006,
13 starting shipping in 2006.
2008 was mostly ver 14...

If you dont like VWS, try the WD trial or something else.

If you want fix the ftp, try updating VWS, or switch to a 3rd party ftp program like many have already done.

Andrew

Ancient? It was brand new last year, bought from Ambient about a year ago. I have the internet edition.

I am more willing in changing to new software than upgrading the current.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:58:15 AM »
The upgrade to latest VWS is Free. Might make you more inclined to try it at least. FTP has never been VWS strong suit but your problems sound as if it might be more than a VWS problem. A FTP program that many have found useful is found here:  http://www.nchsoftware.com/fling/index.html

HTH

George

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:13:13 PM »
Do you know what your upload speed is?  Surfing is mostly downloading and all ISP's have much faster download speeds as compared to upload speeds.  Depending on your connection typs (HSPA, UMTS, EDGE) your average upload speeds could be as slow as 30 kbps.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:19:42 PM »
there are reports that the FTP in VWS is now faster than it was, so yes, try the latest VWS version first (14 series)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline adaptec

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:40:38 AM »
Do you know what your upload speed is?  Surfing is mostly downloading and all ISP's have much faster download speeds as compared to upload speeds.  Depending on your connection typs (HSPA, UMTS, EDGE) your average upload speeds could be as slow as 30 kbps.
Sorry no, but the upload speed doesn't seem to be too bad. The problem is to establish the actual connection to the FTP server. That takes for ages (9-10 minutes!). When first connected the transfer doesn't take more time than it should I guess.

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 10:44:43 AM »
Have you tried another FTP program to connect?  Are they slow?  Is this a new problem?  A new connection?  I have been using VWS for over 8 years and have never experienced a problem with connection.  I have used dial-up, DSL and satellite for my connections at various times.  I know others have expressed concern with the FTP function, but I just wanted you to know that I for one haven't had the issues.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline adaptec

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
Thanks guys! Upgrading to v14 solved the problem. Now it takes less than a minute from the program starts opening the FTP connection till the files is transfered and the FTP connection is closed again :)

Now I have to move to the next problem, the Oregon WMR968 needs replacement, but I'll guess that belongs in another forum.