Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 40169 times)

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2018, 07:15:15 PM »
Unscientific update  sky partly cloudy winds light, calm in am picking up to 7 to 10 mph. pro 72.8/99.4  fars 72.8/100.4  standard 73.2/100.6

Noticed that the other stations near you (RAWS & Airports) reported 100-101°
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2018, 08:31:43 PM »
These are the best shields so for clean comparison only including best two.
Granted, early, but are you gleaning that the stock fan is under performing compared to the a/c fan?
Yes, no, maybe.....

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2018, 08:48:56 PM »
These are the best shields so for clean comparison only including best two.
Granted, early, but are you gleaning that the stock fan is under performing compared to the a/c fan?
Yes, no, maybe.....
'
The wind was up today is the difference I see. I also moved the Fars shield for better sun exposure.
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »
Did I read somewhere on this forum that the USGS uses the Standard MeteoShield?
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »
Did I read somewhere on this forum that the USGS uses the Standard MeteoShield?

It was one of those. Jerry told me they sold the first batch of stock. I was thinking USGA but may have been USGS both make sense.  Not sure if it was just standard shield however.
Randy

Offline hwcorder

• Contract Weather Observer at KCLT
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2018, 06:08:16 PM »
Well I bought another transmitter and got it set up today.  Running two 75's now one in the Meteoshield Pro (main station) and another in a Davis FARS (Extra Temp Station) with stock fan.  Didn't get to do a lot of scientific comparing today but from what I could eyeball the Meteo Pro generally ran cooler. Will have to look at the highs when I get off work late tonight.  Like the rest of you I really wish Davis would start supporting temp in tenths of a degree with their extra temp stations. Dont really see how this would be difficult.

Ill also start supplying some graphs for comparison.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2018, 06:26:02 PM »
Well I bought another transmitter and got it set up today.  Running two 75's now one in the Meteoshield Pro (main station) and another in a Davis FARS (Extra Temp Station) with stock fan.  Didn't get to do a lot of scientific comparing today but from what I could eyeball the Meteo Pro generally ran cooler. Will have to look at the highs when I get off work late tonight.  Like the rest of you I really wish Davis would start supporting temp in tenths of a degree with their extra temp stations. Dont really see how this would be difficult.

You can get tenths with a meteobridge/weatherbridge pro if you transmit to it directly from the ISS.

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2018, 06:27:16 PM »
update partly cloudy skies and light winds in am to breezy in afternoon with seabreeze. Pro 72.6/98.3  fars 72.6/99.2  standard 72.8/98.7

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2018, 06:30:12 PM »
I'm using envoy8x even though old and never updated software it does the job, really couldn't live without. Supports 8 pro stations or combo of soil/leaf.
Randy

Offline hwcorder

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »

You can get tenths with a meteobridge/weatherbridge pro if you transmit to it directly from the ISS.

I'm using envoy8x even though old and never updated software it does the job, really couldn't live without. Supports 8 pro stations or combo of soil/leaf.

Yeah I just don't know if I want to put any more money into more hardware right now. I guess I'll just have to make due with the decreased resolution for now.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2018, 09:18:24 PM »

Yeah I just don't know if I want to put any more money into more hardware right now. I guess I'll just have to make due with the decreased resolution for now.
I hear ya. You guys are banging out these Barani shields left and right and they don’t come cheap.

Offline hwcorder

« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2018, 09:59:56 AM »
Yesterday was a breezy totally sunny day with sustained winds running between 5-15mph with a few peaks around 20mph.  Only had a partial day with both shields running.  The high on both FARS and PRO was 80 degrees.

Today should be similar although winds should be a little less.  I will give another update after the highs have been reached and supply some graphs as well although I'm kind of a newbie at messing around with these graphs on weather display.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »
Wind was sporadic yesterday for me. My FARS was .9 cooler on peak. When wind is up the Pro does slightly better.
I think once the wind stops FARS is pulling cooler air off the grass is what's going on. I went outside when it was 90° and putting hand on lawn it's cooler than air temperature for sure.  Put that same fars shield over hot sand results would be different even on calm days. 

I think bare ground would be better indication and grass causes artificial cooling.  One of the reasons I'm running 1-2 degrees under airport. Nothing but sand and cactus everywhere mixed with prairie grass.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:09:50 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
Another day of no wind.  ](*,)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2018, 12:26:48 PM »
Another day of no wind.  ](*,)

The Pro shield looks really good to me. But I do find it interesting that the DP on the pro shield is 1° lower than the other shields.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »
Wind was sporadic yesterday for me. My FARS was .9 cooler on peak. When wind is up the Pro does slightly better.
I think once the wind stops FARS is pulling cooler air off the grass is what's going on. I went outside when it was 90° and putting hand on lawn it's cooler than air temperature for sure.  Put that same fars shield over hot sand results would be different even on calm days. 

I think bare ground would be better indication and grass causes artificial cooling.  One of the reasons I'm running 1-2 degrees under airport. Nothing but sand and cactus everywhere mixed with prairie grass.
The air heats from the ground up during the day. The ground should feel cooler with it touching directly to your skin versus your layer of bodyheat in  open air. 70F water feels a lot cooler to your skin than 70F air.

Offline hwcorder

« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2018, 04:10:57 PM »
Just a quick clarification, if I have an ISS transmitter 2016 or later and an sht75 I need to add the 0.9 degree offset correct? Just trying to make sure numbers are right.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »
Yes add +.9F with new transmitter and old sensors. Subtract .9F with SHT31 and older pre Jan 1 2016 transmitter.
If  transmitter was made after Jan 2016 and SHT31 no change needed.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2018, 05:03:15 PM »
But he's asking about the 75, does that need it too?  :???:

Offline hwcorder

« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2018, 05:11:36 PM »
Thanks ValentineWeather!  I'm going to go ahead and post todays graph for the last 24hrs since I will probably not get a chance the rest of this evening and I think we have hit our highs for the day.  The FARS and MeteoPro have been running pretty darn close but I think over all the Meteo is running just a little cooler.  Did not see the need to add solar to this as we have had another day for full sunshine.  I also pulled out an old my original VP2 console this afternoon.  Its getting data from the FARS station so at least I can report highs and lows to the tenths if a degree.  Both recorded lows of 57F this morning. MeteoPro peaked at 80.3 @ 4:46pm while the FARS peaked at 80.9 @ 3:16pm.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2018, 06:08:45 PM »

Yes they are included with the older sensors. SHT11,15,75.
The 75 is soon to be phased out unfortunately and is best sensor of the 3.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2018, 06:22:54 PM »
Better get mine out too, past peak. Prep football tonight, cousin's gs plays. FARS cooler by .4F.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] '

Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2018, 06:31:46 PM »

Yes they are included with the older sensors. SHT11,15,75.
The 75 is soon to be phased out unfortunately and is best sensor of the 3.
Okay, cobwebs cleared, thanks.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2018, 06:35:06 PM »
FARS cooler by .4F.
Is this one still the stock fan?

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2018, 06:36:17 PM »
Update skies clear light winds until afternoon with seabreeze pro 98.1/73.1  fars 98.9/73.0 standard with new sht15 sensor 98.5/73.3