Author Topic: Database Issue  (Read 1790 times)

Offline tesasser

Database Issue
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:11:19 AM »
Just out of the blue my VWS Pro has stopped plotting any data to my graph charts. I have shut VWS down and reopened and have rebooted the computer. Also of note; it is constantly sending data files to Weather Underground and never stops. It use to just update their database with new data, but it is rewriting every single database point of some 30000 files. This one really has me puzzled. Any help will be appreciated.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Re: Database Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:56:09 AM »
Couple of things to look at.

In VWS, drop down menu for Wunderground - is the box checked for uploading archived data?  You may want to uncheck it if it is and see if that changes your situation.

From the menu, Settings, Database Settings - what are the values here?
Database timer, what is this set to?  What is the total number of records and what value is the "resize database" set to?

CW3699

Offline tesasser

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 04:31:17 PM »
Did the first thing you mentioned. Settings are Timer 1 hour Total No Records 30009 Resize database 30000. I've been running in the same setup for years and just out of the blue it craps out. Ed with Ambient says it may be an internal database issue. I'm wondering of I uninstalled and reinstalled if that would be the easiest fix. I wish there was an update coming out soon because I have the latest update so just updating won't work for me. Thanks for your input. Any more feedback will be appreciated.

Offline tesasser

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
Well at least by doing what you mentioned it allowed me to discover my problem as it allowed me to see the error log at the top of my screen that said check Window versus Station Date and Time and somehow my date got changed on my weather station to one day ahead of real date time. I think this will fix me for now. Thanks again.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 09:12:48 PM »
Great I am glad you got it.  I had a similar problem with the program crashing and it had to do with the database settings.  My timer was set to 5 minutes so it was creating a whole lot of entries and then reached the limit and the database was resized, that is when the program would crash.

I reset to 30 minutes and things have been okay.

CW3699

Offline pomonabill221

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 03:33:01 PM »
I have the same issue and my database timer was set to 1 minute.  I thought this affected the averaging in VWS and I wanted to get the best averaging I could, but VWS would crash alot, and when I restarted it, it would be resizing the database each time.

Why doesn't the resizing occur without crashing?
Wouldn't the database get large no matter what the timer was set to, and crash VWS?

I changed to 5 minutes to test this out, and will see what happens.

VWS ver. 15.00 p05