Author Topic: Questions about Davis weather statons  (Read 1474 times)

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Questions about Davis weather statons
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:10:32 AM »
When it rains ……

Long story short, we have lost a temp sensor and now rain gauge from the OS WRM968 station.  We have gotten a lot of use from the station – Jan 2005 – but think it is time to retire  :sad:.  I’ve looked but can’t seem to find replacement sensors.

So, I have been doing a lot of reading – both here and elsewhere and now looking at Davis weather instruments, specifically the Vantage Pro2 (versus the Vantage Vue)  and have a couple of questions if you will.

As I understand it, to get data collected and then uploaded to various internet sites – e.g. CWOP, WU, our personal web site, etc. you need a data logger in addition to the station and console.  Is this correct?

If so, would a station package that includes the station, console, and Weather Link package provide this ability?  It appears that the Weather Link “package” is the data logger that I see so many references to, is this correct or is another data logger needed?

We currently use Virtual Weather Station software and assume this should not be a problem, just identify the correct weather station in the setup?

I also assume, only minor setup changes to the web site templates (we use the Saratoga and add-ons).

Any advice input is welcome and thanks.

CW3699

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Questions about Davis weather statons
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »
I think if you're running VWS, the "minor" changes will be enough, if VWS (and/or the add-on module VWAPRS) are currently uploading to CWOP etc, that should continue to work... you'll just need to update your station info at CWOP, etc.
Yes, one of the variations of Weatherlink will have to be decided... I use the IP, I  think most seem to prefer USB.
I've a 4 yr old Vue, about to come down for yearly battery replacement and cleaning.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:25:34 AM »
You're considering a station that is similar to the one I'm running.  I use VWS with the WLIP version of the datalogger.  I tried the Vue as a backup but the temperature wasn't as accurate as the VP2 in my set up.  I've had the VP2 upgraded to the VP2+ since it first became available approx. 2005.  It's rugged, supported by the manufacturer, easily upgradable, repairable, and I modify mine just for the fun of it.
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/
I calibrate my temperature using the NWS Co-Op station system also installed here.  The VP2+ is usually within 1 degree of the NWS max/min temp system.
Al
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:36:03 AM »
Otis,
Yes, you are correct that you do need the datalogger with the Davis stations.  The package is the same for the VP2 and Vue.  The Weatherlink package is the datalogger along with the Davis weatherlink software that you can use if you want, or continue with your existing software.  The Davis Weatherlink software is good to start with so that you can set up your station correctly.  Make SURE you use serial in the Weatherlink settings mode even though you may be using a USB logger connection.  While Davis Weatherlink software will run in USB mode any other third-party software needs it to be set as serial.

You will enjoy,
Paul

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:37:53 AM by PaulMy »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »
Having had OS, I think you're making a wise move.  All comments above are well stated.  I have weatherlink installed, but only run it once/month to download the data as a back up.  I normally use WUHU.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:17:38 AM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:46:58 PM »
You're considering a station that is similar to the one I'm running.  I use VWS with the WLIP version of the datalogger.  I tried the Vue as a backup but the temperature wasn't as accurate as the VP2 in my set up.  I've had the VP2 upgraded to the VP2+ since it first became available approx. 2005.  It's rugged, supported by the manufacturer, easily upgradable, repairable, and I modify mine just for the fun of it.
http://www.lexingtonwx.com/
I calibrate my temperature using the NWS Co-Op station system also installed here.  The VP2+ is usually within 1 degree of the NWS max/min temp system.
Al
My Vue (2010) runs extremely accurate temps... have never had to do any offset, etc.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 01:04:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies, all good info.

Another question.  I am considering separating the anemometer and from the other sensors.  I think I understand how Davis does it with the Vantage Pro.  You can get the wireless transmitter that send data from the anemometer back to ISS and that then goes to the console.  Is that correct?

CW3699

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 01:30:29 PM »
I have an anemometer transmitter and I believe it transmits right to the console.  I have a VP2 but I use a Vue console, and I had to put the transmitter in there as the source of data.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
Let me clarify, i'm looking to seperate the two - have the anno on the roof and other sensors on a pole in the yard.  Trying to keep the temp sensor closer to the ground instead of on the roof.

CW3699

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 03:07:30 PM »
Let me clarify, i'm looking to seperate the two - have the anno on the roof and other sensors on a pole in the yard.  Trying to keep the temp sensor closer to the ground instead of on the roof.

There is a 40' cord that comes with the anemometer.  You might not need a separate transmitter.  And it is my understanding that you can extend that length.  If you want to put your anemometer a far distance from your ISS (like I have) then you can get the anemometer transmitter which transmits to your console.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »

Vue or VP2?  The answers will be different.

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 05:39:19 PM »
Sorry, VP2

CW3699

Offline dj1111s

• Weather obsessed
  • Forecaster
  • The "d" cloud.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
My setup is just like what you are planning to do.  I purchased my wireless VP2+ with a USB logger and the wireless anemometer transmitter.  It is 13 feet up a pole/tripod on the roof.  The ISS is in the back yard on a post 5 feet off the ground.  Setup was easy and other than a FARS fan that was just replaced under warranty it has worked flawlessly.
Vantage Pro2 Plus W/FARS, wireless anemometer, bucket heater with temperature sensor. Envoy, VP2 and Vue consoles. Meteobridge. Weatherlink Live. AirLink. Soil and leaf station. Attic temp and humidity.
Trained Storm Spotter
Member CoCoRaHS
You will never find me on Facebook or Twitter or any other social media!!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 11:50:56 PM »
Sorry, VP2

Yes, then the anemometer comes with a 40-ft cord that can be extended.  (But if you don't want to use that, then the additional wireless anemometer is the more expensive solution).