Author Topic: Just got it.  (Read 2896 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Just got it.
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:08:22 PM »
About a month ago. I bought GR2 though. It goes out 240NM with great resolution. Didn't need all the bells and whistles that came with GR3 so GR2 was the logical choice. Love the way it can be customized. Even have a free L2 feed from Iowa State. We'll see how long that lasts though.
Next I would like to get Analyst. That is one awesome program. Saw some screen shots from Ike and all I can say is wow!
Anyone else have Analyst?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
Re: Just got it.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:25:22 PM »
We'll see how long that lasts though

Just an FYI, he also has a feed on GR3 which I have used for about a year and it's still going strong.  :grin:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 02:27:23 AM »
Didn't need all the bells and whistles that came with GR3 so GR2 was the logical choice.

I'm confused.  GR2 is a more advanced program than GR3; it's more geared towards Mets, GR3 is more geared towards hobbyists, chasers and consumers.

I could never see justifying the cost of AE.

Also GR2 and AE will eat more bandwidth and CPU resources since they crunch more advanced data.  AE needs some special video and graphics extras too, I think.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 10:43:57 AM »
Gr2 only has reflectivity, velocity, and spectrum width. I only use the reflectivity and velocity. GR3 has those two but also storm tracks, precipitation, TVS, meso, hail. comp ref and a few others.
The difference being L2 data has much better resolution. Your seeing the same data but more enhanced. The dbz scale on GR3 goes 5-10-15 etc. GR2 goes 2-4-6-8 etc, so that same data is broken down even further. It's easier to see rotation in velocity mode and hook echos in reflectivity. It also has a neat Cross Section option where you can look at the storm in 3D from any angle or elevation you want.
Plus the range goes out much further which was a big selling point for me.
As for Analyst, yeah it's pretty expensive but man would it be fun to play with. Being able to break down storms with a  true 3D image would be awesome.
Your are also right that Analyst data is much more data and CPU intensive but I'v upgraded my machine so it can handle whatever I throw at it.
Also since I purchased GR2 that price comes off the top of Analyst.
Now I just have to convince the wife that I really do need a 3rd radar program. :grin:
That will take some doing.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 10:51:02 AM by ocala »
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll