Author Topic: Two instances of VWS when I reboot computer ?  (Read 5708 times)

Offline 71sbeetle

• VWS 14.00 p31 / XP SP2 / VP2+ 6163
    • Garey T. Martin Photography
Two instances of VWS when I reboot computer ?
« on: September 11, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
When I restart my computer, I always get two VWS showing in the taskbar (only one actual VWS page though) is there a reason for that ?

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Two instances of VWS when I reboot computer ?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 01:02:33 PM »
Always always, or sometimes always?  I have seen this occasionally (rarely) but I run VWS 24/7 and rarely restart it  Is it possible that you have a shortcut that made its way into the startup folder, and it is competing with the one built into the VWS program?

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 08:54:54 PM »
I get the same thing from time to time.  I use StartWatch  to open several programs including VWS and WL.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason when the 2nd VWS starts.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »
As suggested. Check you start up folder for a short cut to VWS. If you find one delete it.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline 71sbeetle

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:23:33 PM »
oops sorry should have mentioned that I do not have a VWS shortcut in my startup folder (that was the first thing I checked)
It does it every single time that I turn the computer on, and they both come on at the same time.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 03:13:13 AM »
Check the startup folders for any and all users.  In Windows Explorer:

C:\Documents and Settings >> (Each User) >> Start Menu >> Programs >> Start Up

Make sure you check the "All Users" user.

Offline Sawdust

• 2 miles east of Dundee, MI
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 07:02:39 AM »
When I restart my computer, I always get two VWS showing in the taskbar (only one actual VWS page though) is there a reason for that ?

I'm running XP pro, and occasionally when I reboot, I get the same thing.  Two appearances of VWS show in my task bar, but when I click on them, it's really only a single instance of the program.   Also, if I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, I see only a single VWS process running.  Other than taking up space on the task bar, it appears to have no affect on VWS functioning.   I usually just shut down VWS, and both task bar tabs go away.  Then when I restart VWS manually, all is fine with only a single tab in the task bar.

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 07:58:32 AM »
71sbeetle Out of curosity. What version of VWS are you running. It helps us greately if you tell us what version of VWS your are running when you post that you have a problem.

Ken, is there any way this information can be added to our profiles? It would sure be a big help. But then. It only helps if people fill out their profiles.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline wxcrw

• Castle Rock Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »

I'm running XP pro, and occasionally when I reboot, I get the same thing.  Two appearances of VWS show in my task bar, but when I click on them, it's really only a single instance of the program.   Also, if I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del, I see only a single VWS process running.  Other than taking up space on the task bar, it appears to have no affect on VWS functioning.   I usually just shut down VWS, and both task bar tabs go away.  Then when I restart VWS manually, all is fine with only a single tab in the task bar.

Same here. 2 items in the task bar, but only one works when clicked on. Happens maybe 1 time per week. I'm running VirtualVP, so I know only 1 connection is made to an available virtual COM port. Never had issues with working or not. Started around Windows XP SP3 install.
Castle Rock Weather
www.castlerockweather.org

Offline 71sbeetle

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:59:05 AM »
for some reason I am not getting email notification for this thread
anyway, I am running XP Media Center Edition SP2 and VWS Internet Edition 14.00p31

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »
This started to show up to me this week as well.  No new software or patches have been on my machine for the last three weeks.  Wierd.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline peterc46

• Pete's Weather Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 11:14:24 PM »
I run VWS 24/7, with an auto reboot at 1am every day. I had this same symptom using v13.01, every day. If I did a manual reboot, it never happened.

I have now upgraded to 14.00 and it no longer happens at all. I guess that's the fix.

~PC

Offline Dropje

• Tornado in de polder
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »
I'm using VWS for over 6 years now. Upgraded almost everytime to latest Betaversion. Using machines with, ME,Xp and Vista. And every now and then it happens. Nothing related to VWS in the startup folder or whatsoever, it just happens. Close the program and restart and it's gone.

regards
Theo

Offline sbelmont

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 03:16:35 PM »
I've had this happen also. No big deal, just exit VWS and restart it. I've had a new issue since upgrading to VWS 14. I've had the program start and when you minimize it there is no icon on the task bar.
Steve B
WMR968

Offline MoradaWx

• Marada, Stockton, CA
  • Senior Contributor
  • I see sunshine. Let me out!
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 08:27:03 PM »
This started on my system last week. The only thing that changed is Windows did an auto update and rebooted on its own. Love Start watch! need to disable auto updates....... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Rick/Morada, CA
Davis VP2+ wireless w/24Hr fan, Enovoy & Console
VWS 14.01p31,WeatherLink5.9.2,VP live,Virtual VP, StartWatch

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 08:34:29 PM »
Mine also did it after an auto update, I rolled it back using system restore, and since then no problem.  Since my weather computer is a dedicated box for VWS, I do no surfing on it, so no need for updates.  I turned them off., after that.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

anything