Author Topic: Anyone In The Path Of Ike?  (Read 2973 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
Anyone In The Path Of Ike?
« on: September 11, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »
It would be interesting to hear some stories....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
Re: Anyone In The Path Of Ike?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 10:17:25 PM »
Greg,

I live in Tyler, TX (in East Texas). We're right in the path of Ike about 12 hours after it comes ashore and begins heading north. Right now the prediction is possible tornadoes and flooding with damaging winds from gusts up to 75 MPH on Saturday AM. I've got my weather station secured, so if we keep power, it will hopefully endure the storm and report on conditions throughout.

Steve

www.tylertexasweather.com

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »
I haven't checked in to the news much at all today but I had to make parts run this evening and decided to fuel up on the way back in and
there was a big note on the pump saying that the purchase was limited to 10 gallons per transaction due to the shortage of fuel .
I am assuming, which I know usually gets me in trouble, that this is in relation to Ike. Sounds like they are at the least expecting the worst!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »
I subscribe to CNN Breaking News emails.  Here is what I just received:

-- People sheltering at ground level at Galveston Bay when Hurricane Ike hits face "certain death," the weather service warns.

That is pretty scary.  Prayers and thoughts will be with all of you in that area.  Be safe!

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 12:27:34 AM »
For anyone that's interested, here is the link to the Galveston County OEM that has a lot of good info including news and information and situation reports.

http://www.gcoem.org/

They also have a number of webcams that might be interesting to watch, at least till the power goes out.  Clicking the camera images will open a new, auto-refreshing window.

http://www.gcoem.org/content/view/31/146/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 12:40:02 AM by Harryca »

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 02:41:31 AM »
Here's a link to a Houston site that will allow you to check out wind speed forecasts by zip code.

http://www.houstonhidefromthewind.org/

Also, http://www.khou.com in Houston has a live stream of their broadcast if you want to get a local news prospective of the storm.   

Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline Harryca

• Forecaster
    • Union City, CA Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 04:03:18 AM »
I subscribe to CNN Breaking News emails.  Here is what I just received:

-- People sheltering at ground level at Galveston Bay when Hurricane Ike hits face "certain death," the weather service warns.

That is pretty scary.  Prayers and thoughts will be with all of you in that area.  Be safe!

Greg

Here is the part of the text from the NWS hurricane local statement where I suppose CNN got that from. 

LIFE THREATENING INUNDATION LIKELY!

ALL NEIGHBORHOODS...AND POSSIBLY ENTIRE COASTAL COMMUNITIES...
WILL BE INUNDATED DURING THE PERIOD OF PEAK STORM TIDE. PERSONS
NOT HEEDING EVACUATION ORDERS IN SINGLE FAMILY ONE OR TWO STORY
HOMES MAY FACE CERTAIN DEATH.
MANY RESIDENCES OF AVERAGE
CONSTRUCTION DIRECTLY ON THE COAST WILL BE DESTROYED. WIDESPREAD
AND DEVASTATING PERSONAL PROPERTY DAMAGE IS LIKELY ELSEWHERE.
VEHICLES LEFT BEHIND WILL LIKELY BE SWEPT AWAY. NUMEROUS ROADS
WILL BE SWAMPED...SOME MAY BE WASHED AWAY BY THE WATER. ENTIRE
FLOOD PRONE COASTAL COMMUNITIES WILL BE CUTOFF. WATER LEVELS MAY
EXCEED 9 FEET FOR MORE THAN A MILE INLAND. COASTAL RESIDENTS IN
MULTI-STORY FACILITIES RISK BEING CUTOFF. CONDITIONS WILL BE
WORSENED BY BATTERING WAVES CLOSER TO THE COAST. SUCH WAVES
WILL EXACERBATE PROPERTY DAMAGE...WITH MASSIVE DESTRUCTION OF
HOMES...INCLUDING THOSE OF BLOCK CONSTRUCTION. DAMAGE FROM
BEACH EROSION COULD TAKE YEARS TO REPAIR.

Here is the link to the entire hurricane local statement.  (very long)
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/WTUS84-KHGX.shtml
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:13:30 AM by Harryca »

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 09:48:18 AM »
I haven't checked in to the news much at all today but I had to make parts run this evening and decided to fuel up on the way back in and
there was a big note on the pump saying that the purchase was limited to 10 gallons per transaction due to the shortage of fuel .
I am assuming, which I know usually gets me in trouble, that this is in relation to Ike. Sounds like they are at the least expecting the worst!

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

I seem to recall some news blurb about supply issues--but that no one could figure out why. They didn't think Ike could reasonably be the cause of spot shortages...

I noted this morning on my drive to work that gas prices shot up about .20 a gallon since yesterday...  :shock:
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 08:32:59 PM »

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

I seem to recall some news blurb about supply issues--but that no one could figure out why. They didn't think Ike could reasonably be the cause of spot shortages...

I noted this morning on my drive to work that gas prices shot up about .20 a gallon since yesterday...  :shock:

They have went "Hog Wild" here some places as much as +60 cents a gallon from midnight last night.. 3 of the local stations here are sold out and have closed their pumps!

You'd think the hurricane was going to hit here  :lol:
Gotta agree with you... I don't think Ike is entirely responsible for this mess..
Oh well I have one high point here...diesel is cheaper than gas again  Whopeeee!!
I get to fill up my truck :shock:

Wayne
www.smythweather.net
cw8217

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

anything