Author Topic: Restoring/recreating Archive files  (Read 1422 times)

Offline abeasley

Restoring/recreating Archive files
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:18:24 AM »
First a bit of history.  A few years ago my weather station's computer suffered a catastrophic hard-drive failure.  I had been running the weather station since early 2004 but had moved it from computer to computer a few times during that period with no issues.  Needless to say I kept a daily backup on Windows Home server so I wasn't too concerned until I realized I also had a catastrophic failure of my Home Server and lost everything!  Perfect Storm of sorts.  Needless to say I spent several weeks trying to recover the data using various methods but end the end gave up and built a new weather station computer and started fresh (this was about a year or two ago). 

Back to the current issue.  I was looking at the possibility of restoring my data (or at least some of it) from the data I had uploaded to Wunderground.  I'm not interested in adding it to my current database as it really won't help much but I would like to have the Archive Files added that are missing, such as the Monthly and Yearly Archive Files, the Date Stamped Daily Files, Date Stamped Monthly Files and Date Stamped Yearly Files and even the Daily Summary file.  I believe this would get most of the data that I had over the period of time while I have been running the weather station.

Any chance someone might have already created scripts like this?  I know there are some pretty talented people running these weather stations such as http://saratoga-weather.org/index.php and have scripts for about everything else.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Adam

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Re: Restoring/recreating Archive files
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:25:58 PM »
Adam,
Can you manually find your historic data on WU? If so, Jim McMurry's script (http://www.jcweather.us/ ) might be of some help. If you can't find it manually, I don't see how you could retrieve the data.
JMO
George

Offline abeasley

Re: Restoring/recreating Archive files
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:19:01 PM »
I have been able to download all of the data from Wunderground using Python. Now I need to create another script to populate the correct files in the VWS folder...

Thanks!

Adam