Author Topic: My First Shield  (Read 2017 times)

Offline AbuMaia

• Collector of Hobbies
My First Shield
« on: October 29, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »
Just completed my first shield for my T/H sensor a few days ago.

I found some plastic bowls the right size on clearance at Target for 4 for $1.35. I got 3 sets.

I then purchased a three-foot long section of 1/4" all-thread, 36 nuts and 3 wing nuts. Also Krylon spray paint for plastics, flat black for the inside of the bowls and gloss white for the outside. I read another topic on here about using chrome spray paint to increase reflectivity, so I may try that later.

About the only tools I have are a pocket multi-tool (with wood saw), a cordless drill and a hacksaw.

I first took one bowl and drilled three holes for the all-thread for mounting, then used that bowl as a template to drill the rest of the bowls in groups of 4 at a time in order to keep all the holes aligned. I then used the hacksaw to cut the all-thread into three one-foot long pieces, and did a test assembly of the shield.

Once satisfied with the mounting holes, I took all the bowls outside for painting. It was at this point that I decided I should be taking pictures.

When the paint had dried, I brought the bowls inside for the hardest part of the project: cutting the bottoms out. I managed it, though not as cleanly as DanS did with his inverted-bowl shield. The bowl on the far right was cut that way to hold the sensor and still let air rise past it. Four bowls were left uncut for the top and bottom.

Finally, I drilled two additional holes in the top bowl for a pair of eye bolts for hanging the shield. I have no pictures of final assembly, but here it is hanging and with the top holes gooped shut with silicone.

So far, I think it's working. It's out in the middle of my yard where the sun will hit it all day, but I'm not seeing much variation in temp readings from its old location under the eaves. As a test, I took a second wireless thermometer and set it next to the shield out in the sun.

The unshielded sensor soon reported over 80 degrees F, while the shielded sensor remained in the 50's.

It may not be very pretty, but it works, so I'm counting this project as a success. I'd like to thank everyone on this board who have shared their own diy-shield projects here for inspiring me and showing how it's done.
You do NOT have the right to try to force another person to live THEIR life according to YOUR beliefs, unless you accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: My First Shield
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
Good work! Can I suggest possibly adding safety ties of some sort to the eye bolts where they hang on the mount screws? If the wind gets ahold of your shield it may come off the screws as it's hanging in the photo.

also, you mention "I'm not seeing much variation in temp readings ... under the eave" but I would bet it's an improvement. Something not easy to track like this attachment shows. The pink (D2642) is under the north eave of our house while the others are out like yours, in the open over grass.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:46:03 PM by DanS »

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 10:45:17 PM »
 =D> =D> =D>

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline AbuMaia

• Collector of Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:44:41 PM »
DanS, thanks for the reminder. I was going to add some cordage as backup, but forgot to add it before taking the pics. I got it on there before a blizzard came through yesterday. The T/H remained on its screws, but I can see some snow got blown inside the shield, hanging onto the rough bits from where I cut the bottoms of the bowls out. Any way to mitigate that, or will it not be a problem?

Does anyone have an opinion on the chrome paint I mentioned earlier? Good or bad idea?
You do NOT have the right to try to force another person to live THEIR life according to YOUR beliefs, unless you accept FULL RESPONSIBILITY for their actions.

anything