Author Topic: Featured Weather Website for Spring, 2010 is www.eldoradocountyweather.com  (Read 8367 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Congratulations to Danny and the El Dorado County Weather in Placerville, California
for your selection as WXForum.net’s Featured Weather Web Site for Spring, 2010!  =D>  =D>  =D>

Danny's website went live in June of 2006.  His station is powered by a Wireless Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24-Hr Fan-Aspirated Radiation Shield #6163. He really liked how reliable and accurate it was for others.

He started out using VWS and added VWS flash a shortly after. A year later he went live with Weather Display Software.   Other software used in the site are HAMweather software, Nexstorm for his Boltek Lightning Detector along with a GPS unit, Skymet for some of his mesomaps, GRLevel3 for his radar and Axis Internet Camera software for his Axis megapixel webcam.
Danny would like to add a cloud sensor and satellite receiver for Polar Orbiting Satellites.

His website is all hand coded using a very powerful linux based text editor named "gEdit", a file manager named Thunar, and FileZilla for uploading.

Danny's motivation behind having his site on-line was that he gets a lot of enjoyment working on my weather site. He says, "It's a labor of love. I work on my site any chance I get."

Initially, several websites inspired him with the content of the weather data they offered and how they displayed it. They were the 12 or so
sites that used to be featured on the Ambient Weather site but he can't remember their names.

His future plans are to continue trying to improve his site's look/feel, content, functionality, world-reach, traffic and monthly income.

Danny currently sends data to Weather Underground, CWOP, Awekas, PWS/HAM, and Anything Weather.
He muses, "Sometimes I wonder why I bother sending data to all of these places, but I suppose I continue doing it for web site exposure."

Danny has been been extremely interested in the weather for "as long as I can remember.  I think maybe growing up in Southern California had a lot to do with.  It made me a bit starved to see any weather happen at all."
"It has been most rewarding being able to provide the weather every day to so many different people around the world."

His advice to someone wanting to get started in weather watching as a hobby is to "learn all the different cloud types and the dynamics of a thunderstorm first so they can know exactly what they are looking at when observing the sky."

His advice to someone wanting to either start a new weather web site or improve the one they already have is to "first learn HTML and CSS! It's easy to learn and will make the experience so much more enjoyable for them instead of a struggle."

Danny is 56 and retired. He's been married for 37 years and has 3 children. Two no longer live at home and his youngest unfortunately passed away 5 years ago. He is a huge animal lover. He and his wife have 4 Scotties with mom, dad and their 2 female offspring. It's one big happy Scotty family. They also have 3 cats.
Danny was a retail business owner and after 20 years he finally sold the business.
His long standing interests have been:
1. All Things Computer
2. Programming,
3. Building From Scratch, Maintaining and Running his own three Linux Operating Systems (ie Gentoo Linux)
4. All Things Weather
5. Web Site Design

Danny says, "I would like the thank Dacula Weather for nominating my site and all those thattook the time to vote for it. I am very honored to have actually won. It was not expected.  I would also like to highly compliment the weather sites in the running with me.
They have all done such extraordinary jobs on their own web sites and my hat goes off to each of them.
I would also like to thank Ken True for all the hard work he does for this forum and elsewhere. I honestly don't know how he does everything he does, much of which we never even see or know about. Thanks so much Ken!" [ed. note:  :oops: ]

Congratulations, Danny and your El Dorado County Weather website, for being selected by your peers as WXForum.net’s Featured Weather Web Site for Spring, 2010!

Congratulations also, to all our outstanding nominees -- your efforts have not gone unnoticed!

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
Re: Featured Weather Website for Spring, 2010 is www.eldoradocountyweather.com
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 05:32:34 PM »
Congrats Danny  =D> \:D/ =D>
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline weathergirl

• Forecaster
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
Well done, Danny :-)
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 08:01:57 PM »
Way to go Danny! =D> =D>

Offline dasman

• Forecaster
    • Wx Peotone
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:08:44 PM »
Congratulations Danny!!! =D> =D> =D>
Dave Sommerfed
Peotone Illinois USA
CW7762, KILPEOT1
NWS COOP, CoCoRaHS, Spotter Network

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »
Way to go Danny!!!

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:33:53 PM »
Well done Danny! 
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 05:30:56 PM »
Congrats Danny!!!
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 05:55:49 PM »
Nice site Danny!

Online SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 07:24:37 PM »
Yes, very nice site! Congrats! =D>

Jim

Offline ELDoradoWx

• El Dorado Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Gentoo X = Complete_Control
    • El Dorado Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 12:48:07 AM »
Thank you all very much!   :grin:
-Danny
-root is everything

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
Well Done Danny!! =D> =D>

And Thanks for all the help in the past!

Wayne

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2010, 07:06:32 PM »
Congrats Danny =D> =D>

Sorry Been busy so this is a little late, you really put alot work into your site always seem that you added more thanks for sharing your hard work with all of us.

Jeanette
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline ELDoradoWx

• El Dorado Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Gentoo X = Complete_Control
    • El Dorado Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 04:00:18 PM »
Thank you very much Jeanette and Wayne!
-Danny
-root is everything

anything