Author Topic: First Ecowitt Weather Station - Seeking feedback  (Read 2420 times)

Offline jwbos

First Ecowitt Weather Station - Seeking feedback
« on: May 24, 2020, 08:17:39 PM »
Hello, I recently got the itch to buy my first weather station and stumbled upon this site. It's been an invaluable resource trying to sort out all the options so I wanted to first say thanks.

I'm leaning toward buying Ecowitt as it seems modular, open, and the price is about right. I've decided on:
* buying separate components rather than an all-in-one
* getting a console - and it seems like the HP2551 is the way to go

My question is should I get the GW1002 and add the HP2551-C console? Or can I avoid buying the GW1000 and get the HP2551 console with the indoor temp/humidity/pressure sensor along with the individual components (WH40, WS68, WH32)? It seems like the GW1000 allows for some more advanced capabilities that I can add on later if needed, but I'm not totally sure what I'd be missing out on without it.

I have some siting questions too but figured I'd ask those first before taking the leap.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: First Ecowitt Weather Station - Seeking feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 08:51:28 PM »
You can get the separate components and skip the GW1000. The station you are describing is unofficially referred to as the HP2552 (it isn't on their website). It is all of the components of the GW1002 but with the HP2551-C display console instead. The trouble with this order though is that Ecowitt has not officially boxed up for retail this complete kit in this form. What this means is that you end up with a bunch of individual boxes for all the sensors and the display console....rather than one complete box like the GW1002 kit. So it ends up costing more because separate parts have a higher price than a complete kit and they also then have higher shipping costs. For this reason I think the GW1002 and then adding the HP2551-C is probably the better deal. I understand that you are more interested in the display console than the GW1000, but I would highly recommend the GW1000 as it really gives you a lot more to do with your station in future expansion in terms of software which then allows you to both see your data locally and send your data to more places.

• HP2551 - complete kit with all-in-on sensor array
  • HP2552 - separate components (WS68 anemometer) not officially available as a complete kit. It exists in name only, higher cost because of separate boxes. You are essentially ordering a bunch of replacement parts that all have higher costs.
  • HP2553 - complete kit with separate components (WS80 anemometer) not available for sale in the USA because Ambient has exclusive on WS80 for US market. The rest of the world can order the HP2553.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:00:43 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline beruk

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 08:27:48 PM »
I am also in the market for an Ecowitt station, and hesitating between HP2551, HP2553 and GW1002.

I’m leaning towards the HP2551 because the price is right, but am unsure I can get a proper siting with the right compromises for an all-in-one. I may also be way over-thinking this siting thing...

The HP2553 is tempting because of said siting compromises. Having separate components would allow me to position each sensor to its ideal place. BUT: Since the temperature/humidity sensor is with the anemometer, it kinds of defeats the purpose of buying separate components for better siting, no? The thermometer would end up on my roof with the anemometer...

Unless we can add a WH32 to the HP2553 kit? Haven’t been able to find out a clear answer to this.

Finally, the GW1002 is also interesting and seems to be the most expandable solution, but is not available on Amazon Canada.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:23 PM »
I am also in the market for an Ecowitt station, and hesitating between HP2551, HP2553 and GW1002.

I’m leaning towards the HP2551 because the price is right, but am unsure I can get a proper siting with the right compromises for an all-in-one. I may also be way over-thinking this siting thing...

You aren't overthinking it. An all-in-one design is always a compromise even with the most ideal siting. Because you are compromising sensor height for each type one way or the other. All-in-one works to save money, facilitate installation (one pole), and when good-enough is well good enough.

The HP2553 is tempting because of said siting compromises. Having separate components would allow me to position each sensor to its ideal place. BUT: Since the temperature/humidity sensor is with the anemometer, it kinds of defeats the purpose of buying separate components for better siting, no? The thermometer would end up on my roof with the anemometer...

Unless we can add a WH32 to the HP2553 kit? Haven’t been able to find out a clear answer to this.

Yes the adding a WH32 is absolutely a great improvement on the WS80 anemometer and it works for the HP2553 or the GW1003. Just be sure to put the WH32 in a good radiation shield like a Davis 7714 or Barani Meteoshield Pro. An even better idea is to wait for the soon to be released WH32-EP as it will have an SHT35 instead of SHT30.

Finally, the GW1002 is also interesting and seems to be the most expandable solution, but is not available on Amazon Canada.
If you want GW1000 expandability then add the GW1000 to the HP2551 or HP2553. You can have as many consoles as you want. You can customize any configuration you want. If something is not available on Amazon then order that part separately and directly from Ecowitt.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:28:25 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 03:02:34 AM »
I think Galfert has elegantly explained most of the options.
The only thing to make clear is that you don't really need the GW1000 unless you like to remotely look at your data from your sensors.
The GW1000 provides an app which allows you to look at the sensor data in realtime whilst on your home network.
You cannot do this with the console, other than using the upload of the weather data to Ecowitt.net or WeatherUnderground for instance. Obviously you can look at that data from anywhere in the world.
So this element is of minor signifigance

Where the GW1000 becomes killer, is that it has an API that allows you to run home weather software (Like WeatherDisplay, CumulusMX and others) that can read the data and log it locally. A lot of home weather enthuisiasts are very keen on this as it allows you look at your own weather stats and play with them as you like. This removes the reliance on the Internet weather services who will not keep your data for ever and may only have low resolution data etc

So really the GW1000 is an optional addition unless of course you are not bothered about having a visual console on a desk for instance then you can dispense with the console and just use the GW1000 to read all your weather sensor data and do the uploads.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2020, 05:35:51 AM by Mandrake »
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

Offline beruk

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 06:50:22 PM »
Thank you so much for your helpful replies!

I think I will go with the HP2551, simply for budget purposes. I intend to mount it on the facia of the lower part of my roof, which also happens to be the place that is furthest away from trees an hedges (lots of vegetation in my backyard). I’d rather not mount it on the apex of my roof, as I am not too keen on climbing on the roof. I want easy access from my 12-foot ladder to both install and clean the all-in-one.

I realize that my wind readings might not be great, but hope that temperature and rain will be good enough.

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2020, 03:05:20 AM »
I think that's the pragmatic approach and sensible.
Remember you can always add/supplement sensors as you go or have spare money available.
The system is very modular in its approach which makes it very easy to upgrade.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 09:45:19 AM »
It will be interesting to see how long it lasts. Please don't forget to visit us and update us on your experience, even if just to say that you are still going strong.
Tele-Pole

Offline beruk

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 05:08:29 PM »
I took a picture on which I illustrated 3 possible sites and would love some feedback. Being new to wxforum, I'm not sure how to proceed: should I post this right here in this thread since we're on this topic, or create another thread in a different board?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 05:12:10 PM »
Keep it here and post the picture right in this thread. Although I can't remember now but you may be limited and not allowed to post pictures till your post count is 10. I think that is when it stops asking you with the annoying captcha for regular posting also.
Tele-Pole

Offline beruk

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 08:30:20 PM »
Thanks galfert, I'm a bit shy and some people on some forums (not you, not here) tend to get upset when noobs don't follow the netiquette in place, and that netiquette isn't always obvious to newcomers.   [tup]

So, here's the back of my house where an Ecowitt HP2551 all-in-one will soon be installed (waiting for Father's Day deals which Ecowitt confirmed to me were coming).

I've got 3 options for on-house installations, by order of personal preference (i.e. where I feel the most comfortable climbing to):

1. On the lower end of the rafter, which is about 12' high. I'd use a ~40 inch J-Mount to raise the station above that part of the roof. That section of roof (covering the patio) is made some sort of thin white semi-transparent plastic.

2. On the chimney, which isn't being used at all. The top of the chimney is a bit higher than the apex of the roof. I'd also probably use a J-Mount, raising the station above the chimney. The roof is covered with red-orange shingles (I think made of fiberglass).

3. On the gable, which is about 17' high. I'd probably use a gable mount there.

What I like about #1 is that I can easily access that height with my ladder, and would also be able to access the station ~40 inches above for cleaning and battery replacement. What I am unsure about it is that south-east winds would be blocked by the entire roof (that corner of the house is pointing north-west).

#2 would probably be easy enough to access, but I am uncomfortable having an ungrounded metal pole pointing up above my house, and I am not DIY enough to install grounding myself and don't want to pay someone to do it.

#3 scares me. I'd be at the max reach of my ladder to install the mount on the gable, and would be unable to reach the top of the pole from my ladder. I'd have to access the station (installation, cleaning) while standing on the apex of my roof, very close to the edge.  :shock:

So bottom line is: my mind is pretty set on #1, but if that location is really bad for wind readings then I'm willing to consider other options. To be clear: I'm not looking for perfect readings from all sensors, I am very much aware that an all-in-one is all about compromises. As far as wind is concerned, I really don't mind having data that reflect the micro-climate of my backyard/house surroundings, but I still want those wind readings to be representative and useful.

Thank you all in advance for your feedback!

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 06:34:51 AM »
From your commentary I think option 1 is the most sensible for you to maintain.
As you say it will be a compromise and the wind will definitely be impacted but its important to have the sensors in a place that you can access and maintain without putting your life at risk.
I would never recommend someone climbing all over their roof for a weather sensor
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline beruk

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2020, 10:48:47 AM »
Thanks for this, mandrake. Being a person who likes to do things « the right way », it’s not easy to make compromises. But having a limited budget and fear of heights, I must learn to live with compromise when it comes to this project. Thanks for your support!

Offline beruk

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
Hello again,

I may have found someone who would be willing to help me setup the station on the roof, including proper grounding of the mast.

Considering this, would you suggest option 2 or 3 (chimney or gable)?

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2020, 03:28:00 AM »
I refer you back to my previous comments about maintenance...
So if you really do want to put on your roof I would look at it from that perspective. Remember you will periodically need to perform maintenance such as wiping the solar panel clean from dust/pollen/bird poo etc and changing batteries (which you will need to do at least every two years)

The rain gauge will need checking every few months as its just amazing the amount of crap that gets in their from the atmosphere!
Unless your helper is coming round often to help with that place it somewhere you can get to it safely.
G1ZFO

Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)

Offline jwbos

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 09:48:21 AM »
Thanks galfert and Mandrake for all your information from a few months ago. I ended up deciding to get the GW1002 and will add the console later. And I finally ordered it and just received it. Now for some anemometer siting questions.

I've decided against mounting the anemometer up my roof. Instead, we just got a new playset for my daughter and I think it would work out to mount it to the playset... either a side post or its roof. I've attached a picture here. It's obviously a little close to my neighbor's garage, but it's probably the highest I can get it. I was looking at getting the AW WeatherMount or WeatherMount2 for that. Would that make sense?

Another option might just be to mount it on that fence in the picture background. The fence belongs to my neighbor, but they probably wouldn't mind. I spoke to an electrician about how to properly drive the grounding rod for these.

Lat,Lon for reference: 42.36182, -71.23000

Any thoughts or better suggestions for where to place the anemometer? Would the playset make sense and is there a different mount than the WeatherMount that might be better?

Thanks again for any input/wisdom.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 02:12:54 PM »
I agree that on top of the play ground set could work if you put it on nice post. Only second best than to your roof. But roof installs make maintenance difficult.

You could also mount a really tall post or flag pole at the same location.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Tele-Pole

Offline jwbos

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 04:40:03 PM »
Thanks. Do you think the AW WeatherMount is a good solution for that or is there something better to use?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:51:06 PM by jwbos »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 05:08:50 PM »
I think the Ambient Weathermount will probably be okay. The only thing I would be worried about is that since it is a playground set that it will get use and I'm not sure how sturdy the structure is as it may introduce vibration or movement to the wind vane. It may also over time settle and change because of use and then not be level...or it will needs checking. But maybe not...it seems substantial so maybe this is not a concern.

That AW Weathermount is out of stock currently on Ambient's website. I would definitely not order from their site anyway as the listed price is ridiculous. But over on Amazon it is listed and there is seems more reasonably priced (I think):
https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WeatherMount-Station-Mount/dp/B003EABA02/

I don't have any experience with it but I've seen other users have mentioned it and I've not heard any complaints.
Tele-Pole