Author Topic: For those with low UV - a fix  (Read 729 times)

Offline Bart

• Contributor
For those with low UV - a fix
« on: April 30, 2020, 12:02:08 PM »
As have some other people, my Atlas has been reporting low UV readings. I did a little experimenting, and so far what I have is looking promising enough.

Let me start out with, to do this, you are more than likely going to ruin the diffuser (mine was), so proceed with caution. Also, I live in Phoenix, AZ so we get a LOT of sunshine with high UV.

My thought was that the diffuser wasn't letting enough light through, causing UV to report too low. I removed the light sensor from Atlas and removed the diffuser (with the little black ring). I peeled off the diffuser. It was really stuck on the black ring, so while removing it, it completely tore to pieces (making it unusable if this procedure failed). Also, the black ring tore in one spot, but I still made it work.

I simply cut a circle, the same size as the diffuser, out of parchment paper. The paper wasn't completely clear, but I could see beforehand that it would let more light pass through than the stock diffuser would. I placed this "new diffuser" in the housing, fit the black ring back in to secure it, and put everything back together.

The result? While not necessarily perfect, it is definitely better. When I did this 2 days ago, UV was supposed to be around 9. Normally on a day like this (such as previous days with the same UV forecast) I would only solidly get to a 4 (maybe a reading or two might touch 5...but rarely). After using this new diffuser I solidly hit 7. Much better than the previous 4's that I had been seeing.

This was 2 days ago, so yesterday I thought I'd see if I could make it better. I searched around the house to see what I could find that might let even more light pass through. I found some scotch tape (the type that is a bit "cloudy", not perfectly clear). Visually I compared it to the parchment paper and it did seem like it would let maybe a little more light pass through. So I did the same procedure as I did with the parchment paper, and the results were not good. I had readings go as high as 13, and then drop very low (a couple times hitting a one), and then shoot right back up again. I took Atlas apart again, but this time using the same tape, I made it double thick (thinking this might filter a bit more light and stabilize the readings). Nope, same readings were occurring...extremely high with extreme bounces in UV levels.

My next attempt, I used a different kind of tape that seemed like it would filter more light than the first tape that I tried. Same result. Super high readings with wild fluctuations. Even tried making this tape double thick, and the same results occurred. I'm not sure what may be unique about tape (compared to the parchment paper) that would cause this to happen, but those were simply the results that I got.

By the time I got done with this new round of testing with the different tapes, it was about 2pm. I put the parchment paper diffuser back in, and right away my readings got more in line where it should be, and without the wild bounces. While by the time I got the parchment paper filter back in, it wasn't solar noon, so I'm not sure yet what the readings will be. But I anticipate that they will be today at least similar to what I had the first day I used the parchment paper diffuser.

We're only supposed to hit a UV of about 8 today (a bit of cloud cover), so I'm gonna keep my eye on it and see how it responds. The next few days are going to be sunny with a forecast of UV in the 9-10 range. So I'll have to see how close this gets.

If it is supposed to be a 9, a reading of 7 is acceptable to me. A 4 is not acceptable. So hopefully this will make Atlas a lot more accurate. How accurate will it be this summer when our UV gets extremely high? Only time will tell. But as long as it can get close, I will be happy.

So, there ya go. A possible fix for low UV. Proceed at your own risk. :)

Peace!

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
Re: For those with low UV - a fix
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
Wont the parchment paper fade out over time ? What happens after a rain ? Does the sun effect parchment paper ? I'm also really tired of Acurite not fixing the UV problem . My station  shows a 3 UV reading right now and stations around me are at a 9 . WU shows it suppose to be a 9 UV today so my 3 is embarrassing low .

I like others have been complaining and they did send me a new top piece with the UV sensor but the new one reads even lower then my first one . I believe they have gave up on fixing mine because ever time I contact them they say "  I will email you with any updates" !! Well haven't had any updates in 2 months from them and it's been since  July of 2019 when I first noticed this and contacted them .

Good luck on your fix , hope it works out for you .
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:29:30 PM by Mabcmb »

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
Did you try the translucent material that a plastic milk jug is made of?????
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 04:04:38 PM »
Those are good questions, but won't be able to be answered until some time has passed.

Rain shouldn't matter, as it is inside the protective cover. As far as general humidity, and that moisture having an effect...the paper circle is so small I doubt it will cause a noticeable problem (although, time will tell).

I picked parchment paper (over, let's say wax paper) as it is used in ovens for cooking, so heat shouldn't be an issue (but, perhaps heat day after day might). Now will sunlight rays cause a problem? Again, won't know until time passes to see the effects.

As an example...let's say the parchment paper only lasts 6 months and then it disintegrates. That's fine, I'll just replace it. I got tired of UV being far too low that if the fix is to take it apart and add this new diffuser every 6 months, so be it. I can live with that. Still not right to HAVE to, but better than it not being remotely close. It only takes a few minutes to change it, so it's not a real hassle or anything.

With today's readings, it's hard to get a good feel for how it's working since we do have quite a bit of cloudiness. But, considering the passing cloud cover, and what the readings are showing, it looks "appropriate". It's gonna be sunny for the upcoming days (with high UV forecasted) so I'll be able to continue my observations. But so far, it's looking "adequate". Not perfect, but a lot better.

Offline Bart

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 04:06:33 PM »
@vreihen

That's an idea. I'll see how this goes for a few days and might give it a try.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »
As have some other people, my Atlas has been reporting low UV readings. I did a little experimenting, and so far what I have is looking promising enough.

Let me start out with, to do this, you are more than likely going to ruin the diffuser (mine was), so proceed with caution. Also, I live in Phoenix, AZ so we get a LOT of sunshine with high UV.

My thought was that the diffuser wasn't letting enough light through, causing UV to report too low. I removed the light sensor from Atlas and removed the diffuser (with the little black ring). I peeled off the diffuser. It was really stuck on the black ring, so while removing it, it completely tore to pieces (making it unusable if this procedure failed). Also, the black ring tore in one spot, but I still made it work.

I simply cut a circle, the same size as the diffuser, out of parchment paper. The paper wasn't completely clear, but I could see beforehand that it would let more light pass through than the stock diffuser would. I placed this "new diffuser" in the housing, fit the black ring back in to secure it, and put everything back together.

The result? While not necessarily perfect, it is definitely better. When I did this 2 days ago, UV was supposed to be around 9. Normally on a day like this (such as previous days with the same UV forecast) I would only solidly get to a 4 (maybe a reading or two might touch 5...but rarely). After using this new diffuser I solidly hit 7. Much better than the previous 4's that I had been seeing.

This was 2 days ago, so yesterday I thought I'd see if I could make it better. I searched around the house to see what I could find that might let even more light pass through. I found some scotch tape (the type that is a bit "cloudy", not perfectly clear). Visually I compared it to the parchment paper and it did seem like it would let maybe a little more light pass through. So I did the same procedure as I did with the parchment paper, and the results were not good. I had readings go as high as 13, and then drop very low (a couple times hitting a one), and then shoot right back up again. I took Atlas apart again, but this time using the same tape, I made it double thick (thinking this might filter a bit more light and stabilize the readings). Nope, same readings were occurring...extremely high with extreme bounces in UV levels.

My next attempt, I used a different kind of tape that seemed like it would filter more light than the first tape that I tried. Same result. Super high readings with wild fluctuations. Even tried making this tape double thick, and the same results occurred. I'm not sure what may be unique about tape (compared to the parchment paper) that would cause this to happen, but those were simply the results that I got.

By the time I got done with this new round of testing with the different tapes, it was about 2pm. I put the parchment paper diffuser back in, and right away my readings got more in line where it should be, and without the wild bounces. While by the time I got the parchment paper filter back in, it wasn't solar noon, so I'm not sure yet what the readings will be. But I anticipate that they will be today at least similar to what I had the first day I used the parchment paper diffuser.

We're only supposed to hit a UV of about 8 today (a bit of cloud cover), so I'm gonna keep my eye on it and see how it responds. The next few days are going to be sunny with a forecast of UV in the 9-10 range. So I'll have to see how close this gets.

If it is supposed to be a 9, a reading of 7 is acceptable to me. A 4 is not acceptable. So hopefully this will make Atlas a lot more accurate. How accurate will it be this summer when our UV gets extremely high? Only time will tell. But as long as it can get close, I will be happy.

So, there ya go. A possible fix for low UV. Proceed at your own risk. :)

Peace!

I had a lot of issues with the UV issue like a lot of people with the Atlas and compared mine to nearby stations with UV. I will warn you that if you compare to Ambient stations, they read about 3 readings too high on sunny days. Ambient's UV sensors are wacky from what I have observed personally. I got my Atlas close to when they were first released. I went through shipping my Atlas sensor to Acurite a couple times for testing and nothing worked. I currently do not have my original Atlas sensor, but a new one provided to me last year that Acurite tested before shipping the new unit out to me. I said this in another thread on here with what Acurite did for me:

"I think at times Acurite looks at issues as a case by case basis. So I would suggest you do whatever they ask you to, because they may ask you to do things in a different way than they did for me. I have concluded there was an issue with my whole Atlas unit because I had them send me the component they are with you and I had no change with UV. Now I have a completely new Atlas unit, which they tested before shipping to me and it is spot on now for the first time. I got my Atlas when it was first released. For them to send me a replacement Atlas unit, they did require me to send my current one in for testing, but I did not need to wait for them to ship the new one to me. They were very prompt with me. They ordered the replacement Wednesday and I got it today. They are in Wisconsin and I am in Pennsylvania, so not that far."

So as of today and since I installed the Atlas replacement, my UV readings have maintained spot on accuracy and I have not observed any issues with my newly replaced Atlas sensor.