Author Topic: Vantage Vue w/ Raspberry Pi  (Read 776 times)

Offline BlakeFL

Vantage Vue w/ Raspberry Pi
« on: April 14, 2021, 12:06:41 PM »
I just purchased a Vantage Vue and plan on hooking it up to a Raspberry Pi for local logging and a Web Server with WeeWX.  What is the recommended USB dongle to use?  The Davis one seems a bit expensive for what it is.  What would be the best in my situation?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:17:00 AM by BlakeFL »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Vantage Vue w/ Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 12:53:11 PM »
I would get the Davis WeatherLink Live 6100. That way you have the flexibility of connecting more than just the WeeWX system. You could even potentially connect two WeeWX systems so that they each receive live data and then one can be a production system and one can be a test system which could come in handy as you experiment with WeeWX addons and/or software upgrades. You could also then benefit in perhaps also running Cumulus MX or WeatherDisplay or Meteobridge...and also having multiples of those if you wanted. The limitation of the USB logger is that you can only connect it to one system/software.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BlakeFL

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 01:29:55 PM »
I did not peruse looking into the WeatherLink Live since it was not on the supported WeeWX list.  Looks like there are extensions that work perfectly though.  Will it require a subscription to get the most out of the WLL?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:17:08 AM by BlakeFL »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 02:04:33 PM »
I thought you had a typo at first, but you've done it again. It is WeeWX not WeeMX.

Yes, there are several WeeWX driver extensions for the WLL. You do not need a paid subscription to get all of the live data from the WLL. One of the benefits though of the optional WeatherLink.com subscription is to get archive data. But if you keep your WLL and WeeWX system up and running 24/7 (batter backup ..etc.) then you'll likely not need the Weatherlink.com archive data ever. You can efficiently run WeeWX on a Raspberry Pi to optimize your battery backup requirements.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:06:34 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline BlakeFL

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 10:48:14 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Seems like the WeatherLink Live has a lot more functionality for just a bit more money than the USB logger. 

Looks like we're neighbors.  My weather station will be setup in Lake Mary.  Going to Lowe's today to grab an 8ft metal fence post for mounting.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 11:44:04 AM »
Well howdy neighbor.

Why 8 ft? Is it going on the roof or is it a ground install? A common mounting option is to go with the 10 ft galvanized top rail that would typically be used in a fence install. If you combine this 10 ft rail with a 4x4 wood post and some brackets you could have a nice tilting solution for not a whole lot of money. Then your final mounting height could be in the recommended range of 13 to 15 ft....for an all-in-one station. The tilting bracket would allow for easy maintenance. You could get by with no cement and no guy wires.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Galvanized-Steel-Chain-Link-Fence-Top-Rail/999989216

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 11:52:07 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline BlakeFL

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 12:35:44 PM »
We are renting ATM so need something that can easily be removed.  I know it is not an ideal height but it will be temporary until we buy a house or move.  Going to use foam instead of concrete as well.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 12:54:38 PM »
OK  [tup]
Tele-Pole