Author Topic: VP2 on APRS  (Read 1086 times)

Offline MisterTwister55

• Photography by Mike Brulo
VP2 on APRS
« on: February 10, 2020, 12:19:26 PM »
I'm looking for anybody who has their VP2 on APRS. I have one of mine successfully on the network with a Kenwood TM-D710GA via a streaming data logger and 2.5mm audio cable into the GPS port. When I do this, however, the radio ignores wind gusts and only transmits average wind over the 5 minute period. This is a deal breaker because I'm looking to monitor peak winds at a remote cabin in Pennsylvania.

I believe I can defeat this problem by getting my radio to transmit exactly the packet that the console sends to the radio but I can't figure out how to do that. It seems like the Kenwood is dumbing down the data to fit the data the Kenwood displays in the wx info screen.

I'd love to hear from somebody who gets all the data off their Davis onto the APRS network.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: VP2 on APRS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 01:09:11 PM »
Why not use your WeatherBridge (Meteobridge) to upload to CWOP over the Internet?  That is essentially sending to the APRS network.

EDIT: Actually, I see that you already are doing this. I suppose you are just looking to set up via radio also.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:13:00 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 01:27:36 PM »
Incidentally I see that you are uploading to CWOP every 1 minute. It is advisable to not upload more frequently than every 5 minutes. There is still old documentation when it was only advisable to upload every 15 and definitely not more than every 10 minutes. But that changed in recent years to permit upload every 5 minutes. Although upload frequency is not policed and is not physically limited by the servers, it is in poor etiquette to upload more frequently than every 5 minutes. APRS servers have overhead capacity constraints and costs associated and it is better for everyone if this isn't abused. Hopefully this is just an oversight on your part.

It looks to me like you are uploading with your Meteobridge using the APRS module instead of the CWOP module. Because the CWOP module is limited to every 5 minutes. It is rather interesting that the Meteobridge has a separate APRS module where you can set the upload to every 1 minute. I think the APRS module was intended in case someone wanted to upload using the APRS standard to a different APRS network than the one used by CWOP, like when you want to use the Ham servers.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:51:21 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline MisterTwister55

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »
Sorry I wasn't clear. This is at a remote cabin and RF is my only option as there is no internet. All my other stations get to CWOP and APRS via the Internet but not this one.

Offline N3FWE

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »
Sorry I wasn't clear. This is at a remote cabin and RF is my only option as there is no internet. All my other stations get to CWOP and APRS via the Internet but not this one.

I'm over in Cumberland County and also been playing with putting my VP2 WX station on RF also in addition to the internet.    I been playing with wxnow.txt method but it's not perfect and needs a computer.    Keep us updated what you come up with.

Steve, N3FWE

Offline MisterTwister55

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 06:53:30 PM »
I'd love to talk about your setup. Perhaps on the 145.110 repeater sometime? I'm almost always listening when I'm not at work. My callsign is W3MSB.

Offline safuser

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 10:49:12 AM »
I had one of these working at one time.  https://www.byonics.com/mtt4b

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:27:01 AM »
I use a Wx3in1 made by Microsat in Poland. I have an Envoy feeding the weather port on this device. I use it for the gateway function as well as RF. I have a Yaesu FTM-400XDR rig in my vehicle and I can see the Wx reports when I am driving in town. (my range is restricted due to topology and lack of other repeaters).

The Wx3in1 is interfaced to an Alinco DR135 Mk III via the D-sub 9 connector on the rear of the rig. Note that this is audio/analog and not RS-232 coming from the rig into the Wx3in1.

Microsat has a number of cables that can interface to other rigs. I see some Kenwood cables, but you would need to contact Mateusz via the "contact us" form.

HRO carries the Wx3in1. You will probably need to order cables from Microsat. It takes a week or two to clear customs, etc.

If you can reach a gateway with 5-7 Watts, you might be able to use one of these "Voyager" units without the Kenwood. This has a repeater, but no iGate. The advantage is that the radio is built in. I bought one and I use it for a tracker for event support for our Ham club.

I have a Byonics tracker, but I have had really good luck with the Microsat stuff. (I have a fill-in repeater, the Wx3in1 and the Voyager.

See KE8DAF-13 on aprs.fi to see it working. (iGate, but it also sends by RF)

73, Greg KE8DAF (I am good on QRZ)

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:58:01 AM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline N3FWE

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 06:35:34 PM »
I'd love to talk about your setup. Perhaps on the 145.110 repeater sometime? I'm almost always listening when I'm not at work. My callsign is W3MSB.

I recognize that call.   I'll try to give you a call soon.

Steve, N3FWE

Offline MisterTwister55

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 08:24:04 AM »
I find it very surprising that after a month of looking, I still cannot find somebody using a TM-D710G with a weather station connected to its internal TNC. That is one of the major selling points of these Kenwood radios with built in TNCs. I talked to Davis and Kenwood again and both are oblivious and don't really care.

anything