Author Topic: Vantage Pro2 Firmware update failure - dead console - Can it be re-flashed?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline A1Duncan

I have a ten year old VP2 wired system. It was not reporting the 24 hour rainfall figures on the weatherlink app and the solution seemed to be to upgrade the firmware from 3.2 to 3.88. I downloaded the correct .exe and attempted the upgrade. Reached page 44 and it then then failed. I had no option but to click cancel and now have a completely dead console as I presume it does not have any bootable firmware on the processor.

Being based in the UK, sending it back to Davis is not an attractive option, nor is throwing it away and buying a new console... Davis support have referred me to three UK based suppliers none of whom are able/interested in fixing this issue.

Does anyone know of any instructions or advice on how to connect to the processor via the expansion port to re-flash/upload the correct firmware directly? Any help gratefully received, like all of us WX nuts, not having my station is a real pain especially during the Northern hemisphere winter.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that anyone can offer.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
With a failed F/W update, the first step is always just to retry the update even if the console seems dead, but this may be tricky with just a WLIP logger. Are you getting any beeps on console reboot with logger installed?

The problem is that Davis support sometimes assume that overseas dealers have access to the same hardware support resources as are available at the factory, which unfortunately just isn't the case. So the dealers you've contacted probably are not being deliberately unhelpful - there's perhaps nothing that they can do with such a console, assuming it's totally dead, at least short of replacing the Envoy board. What I'd want to try is to use a 6311VP2 updater unit but these have been unavailable from Davis for 10 years or more and then there's the issue of getting hold of the special firmware version that the updater uses. It could well involve a couple of hours work even if an updater was available.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline A1Duncan

Hi, and thank you VERY much for the reply.

Unfortunately I cannot just retry the update as although the IP Logger can be seen on my network,  when I try and start the program it pops up with a warning that says "Model number does not match!. BTW, only one beep on power up even with the network expansion card fitted.

I have managed to locate a dealer who has a new (old stock) 6311VP2 Vantage Pro2 Updater unit and the price is fair, but I know these were originally designed for the very early units and am not sure if they will still work with the model I have.

I have just dropped Davis support another email asking them to let me know whether the updater can be used on my version, so will await their response. However, if you know it might work I will happily buy it if you think it is worth a try.

You mention the issue of the "the special firmware version that the updater uses" - I am not sure what the original unit is supplied with but hopefully Davis will be able to help a little more, or can you elaborate further on what if any issues I might expect with the updater? Obviously I will need a version of the firmware, even if not the latest it will hopefully get me up and running so I can then try updating to 3.88 once again, this time without Weatherlink running in the background on my PC (which I suspect may have caused the update failure).

By the way, I have logged a support ticket with Prodata (who were very helpful when I spoke to them on the phone) so it may well be that if you are involved with them in some way you may see my ticket there too...

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 07:25:20 AM by A1Duncan »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
First, you do need to ensure that the updater genuinely is 6311VP2 and not simply 6311 (which was the old VP1 version IIRC and won't work on a VP2).

There's no reason why a 6311VP2 shouldn't work on any VP2 console provided it's loaded with the correct firmware for your specific console. And remember that the F/W must be the updater version and not the 'Direct from PC' version - you'll probably need to get this from Davis support via a special request. And unless you have a PC with a serial port then you'll probably need a serial-to-USB adapter. Using the updater isn't difficult but inevitably there's a small learning curve at the first time of asking and the process does take several minutes to complete and then check.

Yes, I saw the ticket come through but obviously wasn't in on the phone call and haven't checked what was said (currently working from home).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline A1Duncan

Thanks John, All good and your responses are really appreciated.

I'd already decided to go for the updater which is coming from the company that supplied my box originally, so lucky to find it.

Will keep this topic updated with any progress!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 08:33:14 AM by A1Duncan »

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
the solution seemed to be to upgrade the firmware from 3.2 to 3.88. I downloaded the correct .exe and attempted the upgrade. Reached page 44 and it then then failed.

That's a total bummer.
I'd held off upgrading mine from 3.15 for a few years due to paranoia of unexpectedly bricking it.
I'm in the IT game & have done thousands of FW upgrades over 30 years, but still the 3 bricks stick in my mind.

Bit the bullet a week or so back & it all went as planned. Would have been put of if I'd read your report back then.

So what happens now when you try & run the EXE?
I recall that initially it identified that it had found my console & reported it's version.

Does it identify anything? Or report something like no console found?

Mine is a wireless console circa 2016. Only other thing I could think of to try in your case is to try again & possibly with the wired ISS disconnected.

Cheers.

Edit,

Skipped over a bit too much above & John's comments.
Assuming you have an IP interface not a USB as I have here.

Curiosity has me wondering what a USB interface would see with the PC direct update.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 03:08:48 PM by Phil23 »

Offline A1Duncan

Re: Vantage Pro2 Firmware update failure - dead console - Solution found.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 01:09:43 PM »
I am DELIGHTED to report that this problem is now resolved, and I wanted to update anyone who spots this or experiences a similar problem on how this issue was resolved.

To re-cap, I wanted to update the firmware on a 2010 VP2 WIRED console from 3.2 to 3.88, in order to fix an issue with the Davis Weatherlink App on my phone not reporting the 24 hour rainfall figure.

1) I downloaded the VP2_Cabled_3_88.exe version from Davis.
2) When I tried to run it from my PC which is on my home network, after locating the device via tcp/ip I clicked run but the updater reported that it could not identify the Firmware version and date, then threw up a CRC error.
3) I powered the console down, rebooted it and tried again. This time everything seemed to be fine, so I clicked Start.
4) It started running correctly and then at about page 44 it stopped and reported an error. There was nothing that I could do other than click Cancel.
5) at this point the VP2 console had a blank screen. I powered it down, rebooted it but it only beeped once, and the screen remained blank.
6) I tried to re-run the updater but despite finding the device it reported a model number not found error.
7) I then started to look at this forum and found reference to the fact that you needed to close the Weatherlink program running on the PC before attempting a firmware upgrade... no reference was made to this gem in the Davis firmware upgrade instructions...
8 ) I contacted Davis in the US and they put me in touch with three UK suppliers who I was told would be able to help.
9) I contacted two of them and neither felt able to help... At this stage I did not speak to Prodata, which was the third company Davis had suggested I contacted.
10) After having read various forums (some very old) it appeared that the only way I would be able to re-flash the VP2 was to get hold of a discontinued hardware updater. By chance I managed to locate one and bought it.
11) I contacted Davis support again to obtain the actual firmware that the updater could handle. A very helpful guy called Bruce advised me to first of all try an earlier upgrade version 1.9, and he provided a link to it. This unfortunately did not work as the file appeared to be corrupt. He then provided a link to 3.58 and as a final option, a very early version 1.8.
12) Version 3.58 failed in the same way as 3.88 HOWEVER the update from PC version 1.8 worked perfectly and after running it, I had a live console once again.
13) After upgrading to 1.8, I then powered the console down, then up again and this time re-tried the upgrade to the latest version, 3.88. The upgrade ran perfectly and I now have a fully working VP2 console once again!
14) I never needed to use the hardware updater at all.

This is the version that got my CABLED VP2 working from dead...

http://toolbox.davisinstruments.com/downloads/Weather/firmware/VP2%20Cabled/DirectFromPC_vp2_cabled_1_80.zip

Hope this long winded explanation helps someone else in the same situation. I have suggested to Davis that they update their instructions to make it clear that you must close the Weatherlink program (and I guess any other programs that may try and access the VP2 console) at the same time as you upgrading the firmware.

Finally, I would add that Prodata in the UK offered to work with Davis to fix the problem and their support were very helpful even though in the end I did not take them up on their offer of Help. If I buy any more weather equipment, they will get my business - a highly recommended company.

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
Good to hear.

Sound like a smaller sized old revision may have provided the starting point & a better blank slate.

Offline stephencook

Getting on for two years later I had the same problem.  The link to the version 1.80 updater provided by A1Duncan no longer works but an email to Davis support resulted in them sending me the updater for version 1.90.  This got my console working again and allowed me to successfully repeat the version 3.88 upgrade.  It seems the version 3.88 updater is fussy about what it finds on the console and won't run if it can't read the existing firmware version.  The version 1.90 updater is not so fussy and works on a broken console.

Offline VE2JN

Hello I have the same problem following the update from 3.80 to 3.88, my console is dead and gives me the error

Model number does not match.

Who could give me version 1.90 in order to update this firmware..

thank you

Offline WeegeeNumbuh1

• lmao how do i weather
  • haha yes

Offline VE2JN

Thank you very much my console works again thanks to you

anything