Author Topic: Davis Sonic Anemometer  (Read 7062 times)

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Davis Sonic Anemometer
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 10:49:11 AM »
We've been selling them for 2-3 years (they are the Davis-compatible LCJ anemometers which have been out for some time but which Davis are now reselling as from this year). In general, they work well but check the nominal temperature and speed range to make sure it suits your conditions. The built-in battery will need replacing at some point depending on how sunny the location might be, but typically eg 2-3 years.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
I was checking the LCJ Capteurs web site and was looking at their product brochures.

It seems that this sonic anemometer was developed for Marine applications.

There is a note by the temperature spec that says "Op. temp without icing".  (good to -15°C at the low end)

I am wondering if this spec is more for icing up in a marine environment, than electronics performance.

I guess that I will find out...  :-k

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 09:23:22 PM »
The thing with icing of an ultrasonic it takes an awful amount of power to handle icing and it is hard to imagine any ultrasonic with a replaceable battery and miniature solar panel having that sort of power capability?

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:48:26 AM »
I saw it yesterday, i have some questions about it, but is a little bit expensive for me just for test
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 10:32:46 AM »
We've been selling them for 2-3 years (they are the Davis-compatible LCJ anemometers which have been out for some time but which Davis are now reselling as from this year). In general, they work well.....

John, Have much respect for your knowledge of the entire Davis Product line. Always read your posts. Wondering, if you have the time, might you expand on "In general, they work well"?

Thanks Doug

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 04:21:13 AM »
Wondering, if you have the time, might you expand on "In general, they work well"?

Sorry, but not too much I can add. It was more a simple comment that the LCJ units do seem to work uneventfully and very much as expected (provided you're not in a hurricane-prone or deep-freeze location where the specs may be a limitation) with no obvious issues. But we've not had time to set up a properly detailed side-by-side trial against eg a Davis 6410 anemometer, if that's what you're asking. (Not that I'd expect any two anemometers to agree precisely - there are too many variables like a lack of synchronisation in the measurement time window.)

This is the sort of test that Weatherlink Live makes much easier of course, since it's able to accept multiple anemometer inputs (though with only one displaying as the primary anemometer of course). So anyone with a WLL and an unused wind input on a wireless sensor transmitter could in principle set up such a test, provided care was taken to site both anemometers equivalently.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 04:12:20 PM »
The ultrasonic anemometer arrived in today's mail.

I installed it and it appears to be working fine.

The mounting pole kit (#7717) that I used had a bit larger ID than the Radio Shack mast that I had on the tripod. I cut a slot with the Dremel to cinch it up tighter. That worked OK.

The aiming guide was a real help. I picked a landmark using Google Earth as an aiming point. (same direction that the vane/cup arm was pointed)

A chart showing this wind set is on my web site at: http://rogerscityweather.com/wxDavisYoung.php#sonic. Depending on when you view the chart, the missing data from 1300-1400 was when it was being installed. Prior data was the standard VP2 wind set. Afterwards is using the ultrasonic one.

It is also viewable on the bulletin for WLL at: Rogers City WLL if you have Pro.

Here is the plot via meteohub:

Greg H.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 04:27:13 PM by miraculon »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »
Too bad you can't have side by side graphs of each device.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2020, 08:40:23 AM »
Too bad you can't have side by side graphs of each device.

My other anemometers are up on the roof and the comparison would not be valid. The best idea of it was the data immediately before and after the install. It looked pretty consistent to me.

I don't have an extra anemometer transmitter to put the standard VP2 wind set back up on the tripod mount.

Greg H.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2020, 08:57:58 AM »
A short progress report:

This morning's low temperature was 26.2°F, or -3.2°C.
I'll attach the WLL Plot showing the lowest temp vs. wind data from the Sonic Anemometer 6415 this morning.
It didn't skip a beat during the lowest temperature. I realize that this isn't particularly cold, and it is above the minimum spec temp of +5°F (-15°C).
At least the battery is running it all night and colder weather hasn't affected it so far.

Greg H.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2020, 11:02:06 AM »
So no weird wind spikes? That was a big concern.
The 5F minimum temperature likely has something to do with the battery performance in cold weather. Certain batteries shouldn't be charged at low temperatures but the FARS fan batteries have the same limitation if you look at the specs of the batteries.

I called Davis support and they couldn't answer any questions but said they will get back either by email or phone.
Randy

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
So no weird wind spikes?

I did see some direction shifts the other day, but that happened with the standard VP2 vane in this location too. It is an artifact of wind currents surrounding the garage and house, I believe.

Greg H.

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
    • TurismoMeteo OdV Webcam Streaming and Weather Stations live
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 02:22:45 PM »
what happen when the wind speed exceed the 144 km h limit ?   :?
www.turismometeo.it
Webcam and Weather Stations live network from Italy

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 02:28:26 PM »
I’m personally not impressed with the specs and was expecting more if I were going to spend that kind of $$$
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 06:36:40 PM »
Will be interesting to get real world feedback on this. Been working with WeatherFlow since their fist release and there are a number issues that have to be overcome with these anemometers. Mainly is working in winter as snow will get packed up in the space between the cap and the base. Second is water droplets forming on the base altering the timing of the sonic sensors.

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 01:37:30 PM »
Well, I'm quite disappointed.

My 9 day old Davis Sonic Anemometer appeared to be working fine for a week, but this morning stopped registering wind speed. It is showing a changing wind direction. It is somewhat windy out as nearby stations are showing 10-15 mph winds and the flag pole I have the Sonic Anemometer mounted on is swaying in the wind.

I have not yet contacted Davis or the purchase location.

Dennis

Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 01:53:59 PM »

My 9 day old Davis Sonic Anemometer appeared to be working fine for a week, but this morning stopped registering wind speed. It is showing a changing wind direction. It is somewhat windy out as nearby stations are showing 10-15 mph winds and the flag pole I have the Sonic Anemometer mounted on is swaying in the wind.

I have not yet contacted Davis or the purchase location.

Dennis

That's too bad. Mine is still going fine.

Greg H.

Offline spweather

• Contributor
    • Sand Point Weather
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 11:16:44 AM »
I called Davis, they helped restore my faith in them. As it is a new product, they were very curious about the problem, asked many questions and took notes. They issued an RMA and are replacing the unit. I never had to call the seller. I'm very pleased.

Dennis
Regards,
Dennis

- Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus w/24hr FARS
- Davis (Ultra)Sonic Anemometer
- Boltek/MicroLDN TOA Lightening Detection
- Porcupine Labs LR4/Fluke 414D Laser Rangefinder snow depth measuring sensor

Offline neilferguson

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 01:48:39 PM »
I bought a LCJ Capteurs Sonic-Anemo-DZP Anemometer earlier this year and for a week it worked  fine. Then we had wind and heavy rain and Sonic-Anemo-DZP Anemometer didn’t record the real wind speed. I also had a Davis Vantage Pro2  anemometer (6410) recording and I amazed how bad the Sonic-Anemo-DZP Anemometer was. You can see the difference below.

Sonic-Anemo-DZP                                                             Davis anemometer

1 MIN   2 MIN   5 MIN   10  MIN                                                 1 MIN   2 MIN   5 MIN   10  MIN

Max gust             13        13        13        19                               Max gust             21       40        40        40
   MPH                                                                                       MPH

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »
I have seen a 70+ mph gust for the 2nd time. The first was yesterday. Wind speed is nowhere near this level, either on RM Young or vane/cup VP2.

Gusts were about 10 mph just prior and after this erroneous gust.

It has been very rainy here for the past two days, maybe water got into something and then cleared out.

Greg H.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 03:14:56 PM »
I have seen a 70+ mph gust for the 2nd time. The first was yesterday. Wind speed is nowhere near this level, either on RM Young or vane/cup VP2.

Gusts were about 10 mph just prior and after this erroneous gust.

It has been very rainy here for the past two days, maybe water got into something and then cleared out.

Greg H.
Saw that. Was wondering why no one else picked on it.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 04:29:29 PM »
Sounds like rain (not sure how heavy rain was you mention) is registering as wind gusts.
Been watching the feedback on the sonic as looks like cool gadget, but have my doubts especially in wintery northern location i am located at.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 04:42:42 PM »
Sounds like rain (not sure how heavy rain was you mention) is registering as wind gusts.
Been watching the feedback on the sonic as looks like cool gadget, but have my doubts especially in wintery northern location i am located at.

So far this storm has dumped 2.87" and it is still raining.

Greg H.

Offline fkapp

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »
overall do you recommend this anny?

anything