Author Topic: Weatherproofing a ReoLink 811a  (Read 957 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Weatherproofing a ReoLink 811a
« on: January 29, 2022, 11:58:15 AM »
I have two of my three cameras mounted so far.  I was lucky to have a dry protected fascia or vertical wall with a dry interior to mount the camera on and seal up the access hole to the inside after passing the cable with the three ends through it.

ReoLink provides a nice little weatherproofing kit to run the CAT5/6 cable through, but the two other leads (one a reset button and other an alternative power socket if you don't use POE). 

Now I have a final camera to mount,and would screw it to a wall, protected overhead to some degree with an overhang, but will need to weatherproof the CAT cable since I cannot drill into a rough area where I could run the cable and stuff the other two ends in for  weather protection.

First, I assume and it is only assumption, that the reset button on the end of the short cable, nor the alternative power plug, are weatherproof.  Maybe they are and then problem solved.

If not, I'll use the weatherproof kit to protect the RJ-45 connection, but then what would be a good way to protect the other two, exposed, wire ends?

Has anyone mounted one of these cameras like this or always had a way to run those into a dry interior?
Dale.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 03:49:14 PM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Weatherproofing a ReoLink 811a
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 06:25:48 PM »
Hey Dale.
My connections are 25ft up on a antenna tower.  I used outdoor RJ 45 which is thicker and the jack housing is actually bigger so it wouldn't fit into the Reolink weather proof housing.  Did some mods to it and covered it with a mile of electrical tape. So far so good. Electrical tape doesn't break down from UV rays as I used it to secure the wire from my anny to the anny ISS.  That's been 8 years. Did the same with the reset wire and the power wire. You can buy junction box's as worachj posted which is probably the way to go. Would like to show a pic from the camera but it's too big to post on this forum. So far I am very happy with the choice. Now it's just a battle between me and the spiders. Climbing up 25ft  every few days to clean off spider webs is getting old. Once the weather warms it will be worse. Tried WD40 and it seemed to work for a week. Maybe some 80 weight oil would do the trick.  :-)
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 07:39:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I am not familiar with all the ReoLink stuff, and they seem to have covered the bases with having the specialized mounting box with twist shut gland to seal the incoming wires.

It's a bit expensive but if it does the job, worth a trouble free install.  You got me thinking, there is a Menard's calling my name to visit tomorrow and while getting milk (yes seems odd but I keep telling my wife I get a lot of our groceries there, especially when they have 11% sales....) so I'll swing into the electrical department to see if one of the outdoor boxes they have could be adapted to do the same, at probably under $10.  I can always have Uncle Amazon bring one of the other if that doesn't work out.

Ocala:  I'm pleased with this camera, too, and have 80' of Rohn 45G holding up all sorts of stuff, more weather than ham radio, but I cannot climb any more, even with a safety belt.  Hip and hand  strength would be the major factor, but I know a couple of tree service guys and my dream is to get some sort of camera up near the top to see to the west for incoming storms and sunsets.  You inspire me to try that.  You can keep your web spinning spiders, I have enough for a few months in the summer, along with some ingenious mud dabbing wasps that can brick up a hole with their mortar in no time. 

Any special way that you mounted your camera  on the tower?  Clamp to a leg and holds a box?  A platform across a flat spot of the zig-zags?  I'd be worried once up there and I liked it that something would make the lens get goofy.  I see that enough with the TV stations' cameras having a lot of water drops, dust and other crap on them that makes accessibility a concern.

thanks again for helping me think outside the box on this camera installation, and having POE sure cuts down on running multiple wires and having close 120v outlets to plug in a dongle.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 08:08:15 PM »
For installation I used a 6x15 inch piece of steel. Used 2 U bolts on either side to attach to the tower. I used 3 bolts to attach to the camera to the steel. To add some protection I attached another piece of steel over the camera to be protect from direct sun and rain. I'll get a pic tomorrow so you can see.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 08:20:38 PM »
Thanks.  I hate re-inventing the wheel and think that copying someone else's bright idea (if not commercial) is the sincerest form of flattery.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 09:01:39 AM »
Here's a pic Dale. Not the best quality but you can see the mount.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 09:03:56 AM by ocala »

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 10:29:34 AM »
Nothing wrong with that picture.  Anne Lebovitz would be proud,but Ansel Adams, not so much.

Just kidding.  It shows what you've gotten to work and would be pretty simple to concoct for my tower.

I happen to be lucky enough to live just a short drive from a stock metal place that has a good odds and ends rack where for the price of what the metal is going for, you can get many odds and ends.  The Aluminum is my favorite, with angle 'iron' and sheets of various thickness that have been incredibly helpful to my projects, so I'm thinking I have stuff collected already.  Now if it would stay above 0F for a few days....

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 12:47:53 PM »
I wanted to go with aluminum but the gauge they had were not thick enough. That pic is actually my second piece of steel. I mounted the first one but it wasn't thick enough. Soo had to start over. Seen too many webcams that shake in the wind. Didn't want that ok