Poll

Are you interested in a Discord channel for wxforum.net? (you can change your vote)

Yes, I'm interested in a Discord for real time chat for wxforum.net users
No, I'm not interested in Discord for the purpose of this forum
I don't know what Discord is nor how it would be useful

Author Topic: WXForum.net Discord server  (Read 4139 times)

Offline cheeroip

• Holocene human / dev / tinkerer
  • Developer
    • DTVRC
WXForum.net Discord server
« on: September 17, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
Would anybody else be interested in a WXForum.net Discord (real time chat) server?

https://discord.gg/JeZeb3X
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:43:55 PM by cheeroip »

Offline cheeroip

• Developer
    • DTVRC
Re: WXForum.net Discord server
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2020, 01:03:05 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I love how 3 people are completely against it. LOL, we are living very dark times.

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 02:34:41 AM »
There is only 2 wanting a wxforum discord server for that image. One of which, I guess, is you.

I'm against it also, but can't be bothered to register, just to give a vote.  Sorry. Make that 4 then.

Fact is, this forum does its purpose.

Disco

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline cheeroip

• Developer
    • DTVRC
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 09:56:42 AM »
There is only 2 wanting a wxforum discord server for that image. One of which, I guess, is you.

I'm against it also, but can't be bothered to register, just to give a vote.  Sorry. Make that 4 then.

Disco

Against!! That's rough...
Of course and nothing to feel bad about it. I didn't open that poll anyway  :grin:.
I was just joking about how people feel the need to express a negative feedback toward somebody else efforts.
Of course "this forum does its purpose". A real time chat is a different thing.
Peace and thanks for the feedback.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 10:20:39 AM »

Disco

Against!! That's rough...
Of course and nothing to feel bad about it. I didn't open that poll anyway  :grin:.
I was just joking about how people feel the need to express a negative feedback toward somebody else efforts.
Of course "this forum does its purpose". A real time chat is a different thing.
Peace and thanks for the feedback.

But also consider that realtime chat is nice as your native language is English or if you are fluent in English.
But a lot of the valuable posts on this forum are from non-native English visitors which can only post  by using translate.google.com first.
That is not usable in a "realtime chat"

I already have to do a copy paste to google if someone post in a non-english language.
Google will translate all english texts on this forum on-the-fly,  but it will not translate non-english post such as those in  dutch or french. 

Wim

Offline cheeroip

• Developer
    • DTVRC
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
Nothing stop you from  open a dutch or french channel on discord if that would really be a problem.
Discord is pretty discouraging for the average users anyway so it's not that I expect that would be an useful tool for most people.

it's more a way to check the more nerdy people out and speed up the comunication with like minded people.

bedankt voor de feedback

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 08:07:04 PM »
I would say no need. we dont have that much traffic to justify it-free or not.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 10:39:50 PM »
I tried it out and it's okay but I come from the days of chatrooms on AOL and CompuServe and black and white screens before mice clicking on icons were invented. Live chatting is good when discussing a problem rather than waiting for a response in a forum. During these days of isolation talking live would be good and might spur interest. However if there is only one room to talk in then if Davis, Accurate, etc. owners end up there...might be confusing. What would be nice is to be able to post a chat link which has an expiration time/date. Say you have a problem with your WMR 968. You could post a link to a chat for say 1900 utc on Saturday. That link would be set to expire at 0000. Anyone could join in on the discussion. Just an idea. However we are a small community so as far as usefulness...not really seeing it.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 11:05:33 PM »
good for football games. Not weather forums.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline cheeroip

• Developer
    • DTVRC
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 02:33:04 PM »
Ok, let me keep this thread a bit alive.
Discords servers and real time chats are not for everybody.
They are a really scary and dangerous places.
We are a bunch of old guys and I can definetely see people not being able to manage the stress to deal with strong opinions and new topics and discussions.

Said that it's always great to have the opportunity to challenge yourself and step into a different bar and check the scene.

good for football games. Not weather forums.

It's discord. You can open a football channel or your open your own football server if you think there is overlap between weather people and footballs people and you think would be an interesting place.

I tried it out and it's okay but I come from the days of chatrooms on AOL and CompuServe and black and white screens before mice clicking on icons were invented. Live chatting is good when discussing a problem rather than waiting for a response in a forum. During these days of isolation talking live would be good and might spur interest. However if there is only one room to talk in then if Davis, Accurate, etc. owners end up there...might be confusing. What would be nice is to be able to post a chat link which has an expiration time/date. Say you have a problem with your WMR 968. You could post a link to a chat for say 1900 utc on Saturday. That link would be set to expire at 0000. Anyone could join in on the discussion. Just an idea. However we are a small community so as far as usefulness...not really seeing it.
Completely agree Garth.
Discord is particularly hard to understand and confuse even technical users.
Chats are usually a confuse s**t show and servers are managed by clueless folks.
I'm an old school geek too, I'm fundamentally a misanthrope and believe people as group are a bunch of idiots but I believe in individuals and small teams.

The idea would be to keep opening and closinging channels to filter out discussions and let whoever want add their contributions, 2 or 3 motivated users is all it need really. Most people are deadweight anyway.
Discord isn't perfect but they do a lot of things right.
Users can join without a client (web based) without a registration (if they don't want create and user) and have a decent set of admin tools.
Users can see the back log of every channel.
Users can create their own servers and start their own discussions.

I saw 2 brave people stepping in so far (Tige and you Garthbock) waiting for me to say something.
It's not how things works. Just be proactive, introduce yourself and throw your idea out.

Some communities are better and more receptive than others.
There is no rush, the server is there and internet isn't goin anywhere:
Server Link: https://discord.gg/JeZeb3X
There is no point in creating a bunch of "channels" (thats how Discord call a discussion) trying to guess people interests.
I'm ready to deploy an Ambient Weather dashboard app and I would like some testers and feedback:
Channel: https://discord.gg/kT97dEX

GW1000 seem a very hot topic and I recently purchased one:
Channel link: https://discord.gg/7yXwugw

WMR 968 discussion:
Channel link: https://discord.gg/jezk7QU

footballweather people:
channel link: https://discord.gg/UtHvvCe

Everybody stay safe and be nice

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:36:38 PM by cheeroip »

Offline WeatherEnthusiastNZ

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 06:40:22 PM »
I regularly use Discord and it is great. #Gamer

But the beauty of forums is all the helpful and insightful discussion is publicly recorded. The risk of a Discord server is that people just ask people (or get into the habit of DM/PM others) on Discord their questions, which most the people who visit wxforum.net will never see (as they don't use Discord), valuable information that could be posted on a form, will instead be a drop of water in a lengthy string of messages on Discord. You can have channels on Discord, but not posts, which means channels end up with thousands of messages all about different topics. Plus Discord messages are not search-indexed, so people searching on a search engine (Google, DuckDuckGo, etc), will never find the helpful things people say in Discord.

Also, unless managed by the official WXForum.net staff, if a 3rd party person starts it up, they still have the power to just delete the server, and all the info would be wiped.

Not saying you can't start one up, just saying why I think their are downsides to doing so.

anything